!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/09/2022 1:10 pm  #1

Attribute Generation In Your Game

Just curious, which method do you use?  I've been using method 2 (3d6 in order 3 times, pick one) in my B/X game, but have been thinking about using method 3 (4d6 drop low) when I start my my Hyperborea game.  I think I would disallow attribute adjustment with method 3, though.

Last edited by Demiurge (2/09/2022 1:11 pm)

"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places." H.P. Lovecraft, The Picture in the House

2/09/2022 2:12 pm  #2

Re: Attribute Generation In Your Game

Anything mentioned in the rules...(edited after read, re-read, posted, read again, and then edited the post again)

Last edited by gizmomathboy (2/09/2022 2:13 pm)

What? Me worry?

2/09/2022 2:15 pm  #3

Now, what I posted and edited just now, I lean towards Method 5, 2d6+6 in order.

Definitely creates an above average pc but considering how lethal Hyperborea is...I'm ok with that.

What? Me worry?

2/10/2022 5:57 am  #4

I've tried them all with my group, and prefer 2d6+6 in order too. One of the great virtues of Hyperborea is that attributes don't have as much of an impact on your character as your level increases: the 7th level Fighter with ST 10 is still the best fighter in the group. Equally important to me, my players are happy with the method: "cool, I got an 18!"...even though it has a small consequence. 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

2/10/2022 1:20 pm  #5

I actually have my players hop online with me and run through Gizmo's PC generator using either Method 3 or 4 on Strictness 2, to generate their characters. I have them create 2 characters (one for Main, one on Backup) for when/if the main character dies as many do in Hyperborea. They can run the generator 2 times for each character they are creating (choosing the one with the preferred stats).
(Thanks again Gizmo for making such a great engine to help with character generation!)

Last edited by BlackKnight (2/10/2022 1:21 pm)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

2/10/2022 1:24 pm  #6

I require method 3 and do allow adjustments. I think that's the most flexible and gives PCs a boost without being a complete handout (which is what I consider methods 4 and 5 to be - just my opinion).

Last edited by Blackadder23 (2/10/2022 1:25 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/10/2022 1:29 pm  #7

Thanks mucho.

Glad to be of service.

Yeah, I'm partial to strictness level 2 as well.

I also need to add Method 6 that Ghul added in 3e. I think for that there would be no Strictness 1 or 2 since by description it's effectively Strictness 3.

I'm still pondering/experimenting with the physique stuff along with general "what has changed?" things.

I think updating race might be the first thing I can do with minimal fuss.

What? Me worry?

2/10/2022 5:20 pm  #8

We do method 2 - have found it to be a great middle ground option while still having that "as the dice lay" feeling.

2/11/2022 12:09 pm  #9

gizmomathboy wrote:

Thanks mucho.

I'm still pondering/experimenting with the physique stuff along with general "what has changed?" things.

Doing Ethnicity should be a breeze as long as you're not doing the Height/Weight. Add those and it's maybe al dozen extra tables/rolls...

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

2/11/2022 3:02 pm  #10

The names are slowing me down a bit since I have to do those updates at the same time.

The physique stuff is a work in progress as I ponder how I go about solving that puzzle.

What? Me worry?

2/11/2022 11:33 pm  #11

BlackKnight wrote:

gizmomathboy wrote:

Thanks mucho.

Doing Ethnicity should be a breeze as long as you're not doing the Height/Weight. Add those and it's maybe al dozen extra tables/rolls...

The height and weight really aren't that bad. All of the races pull their numbers from the same table, and a lot of races share the same rolls (i.e., Anglo-Saxons, Esquimaux-Ixians, Ixians, Kimmerians, Vikings, and Yakuts all use 4d6 drop low).

As for eye color, hair color, and complexion, nothing could be easier. Whoever created those tables must be a certified genius.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (2/11/2022 11:33 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/12/2022 10:19 am  #12

Blackadder23 wrote:

BlackKnight wrote:

gizmomathboy wrote:

Thanks mucho.

The height and weight really aren't that bad. All of the races pull their numbers from the same table, and a lot of races share the same rolls (i.e., Anglo-Saxons, Esquimaux-Ixians, Ixians, Kimmerians, Vikings, and Yakuts all use 4d6 drop low).

As for eye color, hair color, and complexion, nothing could be easier. Whoever created those tables must be a certified genius.

And a veritable paragon of humility!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

2/12/2022 11:39 am  #13

Lol.

I it is a rather ingenious, compact method

What? Me worry?

1/04/2023 9:45 pm  #14

I've just received my 3E HYPERBOREA  ruleset and viewed the attribute (or stat) generation methods.  I might stick with my homebrew used for OSE (i.e. B/X D&D):

one stat of choice rolls 2d6+6
one stat of choice rolls 2d6+5
two stats of choice roll 2d6+4
two stats of choice roll 2d6+3 

After rolling, one could pick a class freely given how the results turned out even if that did not align with one's hopes in assigning the options.  

After playing around with this in an OSE context, I found that what seemed to work best was to put the 2d6+5 into CON regardless of intended class aspiration: a sort of "protect hps" approach. That being said, AS&SH's has a slightly less punishing "low end" CON table compared to OSE or LotFP, so one might optimize differently depending on class aspirations.  

Btw, I realize, of course, that this system only permits a single attribute even the possibility of an 18.  

Last edited by Aelric (1/04/2023 10:13 pm)

1/06/2023 9:30 am  #15

Seems find to me but I just frenzy mentality with Hyperborea and use M1; 3d6 placed as rolled.

My theory of world is it cruel and unusual and if ya can survive it with the worst attributes rolls, ya winning!

1/06/2023 4:24 pm  #16

Aelric wrote:

I've just received my 3E HYPERBOREA  ruleset and viewed the attribute (or stat) generation methods.  I might stick with my homebrew used for OSE (i.e. B/X D&D):

one stat of choice rolls 2d6+6
one stat of choice rolls 2d6+5
two stats of choice roll 2d6+4
two stats of choice roll 2d6+3 

After rolling, one could pick a class freely given how the results turned out even if that did not align with one's hopes in assigning the options.  

After playing around with this in an OSE context, I found that what seemed to work best was to put the 2d6+5 into CON regardless of intended class aspiration: a sort of "protect hps" approach. That being said, AS&SH's has a slightly less punishing "low end" CON table compared to OSE or LotFP, so one might optimize differently depending on class aspirations.  

Btw, I realize, of course, that this system only permits a single attribute even the possibility of an 18.  

Seems like a pretty cool house rule. I can dig it.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

1/06/2023 8:53 pm  #17

Ghul wrote:

Seems like a pretty cool house rule. I can dig it.

Ah, a fan of The Warriors I see.  "Can you dig it?"  

1/15/2023 5:23 pm  #18

Demiurge wrote:

(3d6 in order 3 times, pick one)

I actually started doing that when running AS&SH and now I'm completely sold on it whatever I run. 3 solid choices, a good chance 1 will fit the class you want.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.