!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/07/2014 12:51 pm  #1

Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

EDIT (August 2014) -- thread name changed to Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess.

Shortly before Gary Con VI, a fantastic mini-setting for Hyperborea arrived in my inbox, complete with a fantastic adventure. The Lemurian Remnant was developed by Joseph Salvador (AKA "joseph"), accompanied by a mid-level adventure called Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess. I'm still perusing the work, and in the future I look forward to publishing it. Even more immediately, I look forward to running it for my crew of ne'er-do-wells.

From the author's introduction:

Eons ago, before Atlantis disappeared below the waves of Old Earth, the lost continent of Lemuria was itself subject to destruction and chaos. Volcanoes and earthquakes rent the land asunder and great storms swept across the continent creating impossible cyclones and whirlwinds. One of those vortices, caused by the North Wind, consumed part of Lemuria sweeping it away from the doomed continent and holding it in limbo until finally dispelling the remnant of the lost land into Hyperborea. Now, this Lemurian Remnant exists in a dimensional anomaly at the ultimate edge of Hyperborea, where the seas spill into the Black Gulf. Those wishing to reach Lemuria face the ceaseless windstorms which surround the archipelago and the deadly pull of the Rapids at the End of the World. Couple this with the Lemurian's isolationist mentality and consequently, the Lemurian Remnant continues to be a place of mystery to the varied peoples of Hyperborea.

Last edited by Ghul (8/14/2014 8:51 pm)

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/07/2014 1:05 pm  #2

Re: Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

Sounds pretty sweet!  Thanks Joseph!  I look forward to seeing these.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/07/2014 1:23 pm  #3

Very cool! What's the suggested level range for the adventure?

4/07/2014 1:27 pm  #4

Handy Haversack wrote:

Very cool! What's the suggested level range for the adventure?

That's actually a topic of consideration at the moment. It might be 4–6 or 5–7.

4/07/2014 2:20 pm  #5

Sounds interesting. Seems like 2014 will be a good year for AS&SH.

4/07/2014 2:52 pm  #6

There is a lot in the pipeline!  We just need a bigger pipe!  I look forward to a lighter wallet.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/07/2014 2:55 pm  #7

Just tell me when I can buy it.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/07/2014 4:01 pm  #8

Sounds awesome; I'm looking forward to this! Thank you joseph!

Níu man ek heima, níu íviðjur,
mjötvið mæran fyr mold neðan.
(Völuspá)
(Nine worlds I knew,the nine in the tree with mighty roots beneath the mold)
Realmsofmelpomene

4/07/2014 4:21 pm  #9

Well, well, an official announcement! You are all quite welcome and I hope that it lives up to your expectations!

Inspiration is drawn from the "lost world" tales of Burroughs, Doyle and Merritt, as well as theospohical writing from the late 19th-early 20th centuries. I also felt like we need some jungles, dinosaurs and an area with Asian inspiration!

Thanks to all! And special thanks to Jeff for giving this a shot!

Last edited by joseph (4/07/2014 4:22 pm)

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

4/07/2014 8:28 pm  #10

Let me know if I can be of any assistance with the maps.

4/07/2014 9:06 pm  #11

Very cool, Joseph. Sounds interesting. I look forward to final product!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/07/2014 11:03 pm  #12

Having just dived into Lin Carter's Thongor/Lemuria stories for the first time, about a week ago, I have to say my interest is piqued. 

4/08/2014 5:14 am  #13

Maezar wrote:

Absolutely! I'd love for you to at least take a look at the wilderness portion, Matt.

4/08/2014 3:47 pm  #14

Maezar wrote:

Thanks for the help!

4/08/2014 3:48 pm  #15

NAJones wrote:

Having just dived into Lin Carter's Thongor/Lemuria stories for the first time, about a week ago, I have to say my interest is piqued. 

I have yet to read the Carter series, though I did read a bit about it on the web. You'll have to let me know what you think of the series!

4/08/2014 4:27 pm  #16

Blackadder23 wrote:

Just tell me when I can buy it.

Same here. I'm eager to get hold of some new ASSH adventures.

4/19/2014 1:07 pm  #17

Ghul wrote:

Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess; From the author's introduction:

Eons ago, before Atlantis disappeared below the waves of Old Earth, the lost continent of Lemuria was itself subject to destruction and chaos. Volcanoes and earthquakes rent the land asunder and great storms swept across the continent creating impossible cyclones and whirlwinds. One of those vortices, caused by the North Wind, consumed part of Lemuria sweeping it away from the doomed continent and holding it in limbo until finally dispelling the remnant of the lost land into Hyperborea. Now, this Lemurian Remnant exists in a dimensional anomaly at the ultimate edge of Hyperborea, where the seas spill into the Black Gulf. Those wishing to reach Lemuria face the ceaseless windstorms which surround the archipelago and the deadly pull of the Rapids at the End of the World. Couple this with the Lemurian's isolationist mentality and consequently, the Lemurian Remnant continues to be a place of mystery to the varied peoples of Hyperborea.

This sounds great, Jeff---one of the things that I really like about the planar geography of Hyperborea is that it has physical edges, and this adventure sounds like it might take advantage of that!

Have you given much thought to what might exist beyond the edges where the seas fall into darkness?

Allan.

Last edited by grodog (4/19/2014 1:09 pm)

4/19/2014 5:43 pm  #18

grodog wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess; From the author's introduction:

This sounds great, Jeff---one of the things that I really like about the planar geography of Hyperborea is that it has physical edges, and this adventure sounds like it might take advantage of that!

Have you given much thought to what might exist beyond the edges where the seas fall into darkness?

Allan.

Hello Allan,

Well, there is the boreas, which lashes around the entirety of the plane. In the Referee's Handbook it is described thusly:

THE BOREAS (North Wind): The boreas (or North Wind) is where Boreas (the deity) dwells, though some sages suggest it is not merely his dwelling place, but rather his prison. The boreas lashes around the hexagonal realm, just beyond the Rapids at the End of the World. Men of learning suggest that this force seizes the cascading water and returns it to Hyperborea’s atmosphere. In Sharath, the desert peninsula that is the only land mass to meet the Rim of the World, the boreas makes ingress to Hyperborea, blasting the land with stardust and admitting extraordinary objects from the illimitable Black Gulf.

4/21/2014 4:48 pm  #19

joseph wrote:

Inspiration is drawn from the "lost world" tales of Burroughs, Doyle and Merritt, as well as theospohical writing from the late 19th-early 20th centuries. I also felt like we need some jungles, dinosaurs and an area with Asian inspiration!

You had me at "lost world" and Burroughs. ERB is one of my all-time favorite authors. 

joseph wrote:

I'm not as impressed with Carter as I am with some of the others. Seems like he doesn't do ERB as well as ERB, and that he doesn't do Howard as well as Howard. I picked up a bunch of Carter's "World's End" books and found them to be less than inspiring for me, which is sad because they've been highly recommended to me by several folks whose opinions I otherwise value.

Marv / Finarvyn
DCC playtester (2011), S&W WhiteBox Author (2009), C&C playtester (2003), Metamorphosis Alpha since 1976. OD&D Player since 1975

4/23/2014 10:13 pm  #20

Ghul wrote:

Well, there is the boreas, which lashes around the entirety of the plane. In the Referee's Handbook it is described thusly:

THE BOREAS (North Wind): The boreas (or North Wind) is where Boreas (the deity) dwells, though some sages suggest it is not merely his dwelling place, but rather his prison. The boreas lashes around the hexagonal realm, just beyond the Rapids at the End of the World. Men of learning suggest that this force seizes the cascading water and returns it to Hyperborea’s atmosphere. In Sharath, the desert peninsula that is the only land mass to meet the Rim of the World, the boreas makes ingress to Hyperborea, blasting the land with stardust and admitting extraordinary objects from the illimitable Black Gulf.

Thanks for the remidner---a higher-level adventure kernel is starting to seed in the back of my mind here :D

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.