!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/02/2014 10:29 am  #1

Sorcerer & Sword

The Ron Edwards supplement for the "Sorcerer" RPG.

While I don't always "get" what Edwards has to say on pretty much any topic he talks about, I found this particular book to be very inspirational. It has an overview of S&S literature and has some neat ideas about running S&S style games.

Anyone read it? What do you think about it?

EDIT: Crud. Posted in the wrong section again. This was going to be in the "literature" part of the boards. I need to pay attention.

Last edited by finarvyn (4/02/2014 10:31 am)

Marv / Finarvyn
DCC playtester (2011), S&W WhiteBox Author (2009), C&C playtester (2003), Metamorphosis Alpha since 1976. OD&D Player since 1975

4/02/2014 6:51 pm  #2

Re: Sorcerer & Sword

Moved for you!  Although I may never play the actual game the source material may be worthwhile.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/02/2014 8:07 pm  #3

I'm afraid I don't know anything about it, Fin. Want to give us a few highlights?

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/03/2014 7:01 am  #4

First of all, keep in mind that Edwards slants much of his material towards players who are planning on running a SORCERER game.

"Chapter One: Fantastic Adventure" talks about role playing in a Swords & Sorcery genre.

"Chapter Two: The Literature" goes back to discuss literary inspirations, and this is the part that folks here may find most interesting. He breaks it down into three eras:
(1) the originals: 1920's through 1950's
(2) the fans: 1960's through 1970's
(3) betrayal: late 1970's and beyond

"Chapter Three: the Setting" talks about what makes a good S&S campaign setting and how to create the right atmosphere.

Most of the rest of the book is SORCERER specific.

Marv / Finarvyn
DCC playtester (2011), S&W WhiteBox Author (2009), C&C playtester (2003), Metamorphosis Alpha since 1976. OD&D Player since 1975

4/04/2014 8:38 am  #5

That actually sounds really useful and interesting. Thanks for mentioning fin!

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

4/04/2014 7:36 pm  #6

Not of much interest on this board, but I might point out that Edwards also wrote a supplement called THE SORCERER'S SOUL which does the same thing for pulp detective fiction as SORCERER & SWORD did for swords & sorcery fiction. I had never ready any Raymond Chandler or Ross Macdonald prior to discovering THE SORCERER'S SOUL but now have gotten hooked on the genre. I think he does a good job in his research, even if you don't play SORCERER.

Marv / Finarvyn

4/04/2014 10:40 pm  #7

Chandler is one of the best American writers, I think. I'd put him up there with anyone.

4/05/2014 6:48 am  #8

Agreed, but it took me 45 years or so of life before I found him. I never would have tracked his stuff down at all if it wasn't for THE SORCERER'S SOUL. (And I still don't "get" the SORCERER RPG, by the way.)

Marv / Finarvyn

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.