!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/13/2016 6:54 pm  #1

What Are You Playing? (Shamans)

In an effort to learn how different campaigns have progressed in the four years since AS&SH™ was published and to measure the impact of any potential rule changes* in Second Edition, I'm launching a series of polls to determine what classes and levels are being played. Please tell me the highest-level character of each class in your current campaign. Thanks for your feedback.

* Please note that our design goal is for 99.9% compatibility with the original boxed set. Any changes will be minimal, but if we learn that (for instance) no one has played a witch past 8th level, then there'd be no real harm in introducing a new rule that states a 9th-level witch weighs the same as a duck**.

** No such rule is being considered at this time.

What's the highest-level shaman in your campaign?

12/14/2016 2:43 pm  #2

Re: What Are You Playing? (Shamans)

zero

What? Me worry?

12/14/2016 6:01 pm  #3

None to date.

EDIT: Ack, I forgot Ogg the cave-man shaman.  I thought he was a barbarian for some reason... anyway, 5th level.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (12/14/2016 6:15 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

12/15/2016 6:27 am  #4

Zero.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

9/23/2018 8:16 pm  #5

Just rolled up my first Shaman. Anybody got any insight, tips, warnings, etc.?

9/23/2018 9:07 pm  #6

Iron Ranger wrote:

Cannot wait to see him/her in action. I like the martial/sorcery combination.
Medicine man class ability can prove useful to an adventuring party.

9/23/2018 9:40 pm  #7

achiriaco wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Cannot wait to see him/her in action. I like the martial/sorcery combination.
Medicine man class ability can prove useful to an adventuring party.

Not a him/her. She's a straight up her.  It's my first delve into AS&SH sorcery. Love the heavy "basic" brakes approach and excited to try it out finally for myself. She's got her hand axe if the cleaving becomes necessary.

11/07/2018 8:22 pm  #8

I played a shaman until 5th level, when he was unceremoniously eaten by a Froghemoth. He was a cleric/magician. They’re a cool class, but our setting (a home brew) didn’t have a lot of available stuff from which to learn spells (magic spells were engraved on fossilized beetle eggs), so spells were hard to come by, and their slow spell progression hindered his functionality. Their ability to heal a d4 per level was really handy, as with their ability to commune with otherworldly being.

I played him as kind of a medicine man/diviner. If I were to roll another, I’d probably go cleric/necromancer just because that sounds kinda fun.

11/09/2018 9:11 am  #9

Our party's shaman, Tinniktet, is an Esquimaux follower of Ithaqqa.  Her spell lists are druid and necromancer.  So far she's been a vital member of the party through 2 adventures as they have no other clerical/healing types.  She's being played as the classic medicine woman, with visions, strange herbs and fetishes on her person, etc.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

2/02/2019 12:11 pm  #10

In the party I GM for, there is a 3rd level Viking shaman. The players love the flexibility and practicality of this class. Just recently this shaman healed 3 out of 4 of the party suffering from giant rat plague, thankfully the non-lethal kind.

This is another cleric/magicuser

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.