!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/30/2016 9:16 am  #61

Re: Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea 2nd Edition

Jason Sholtis is a newcomer to the AS&SH fold, perhaps best known for his work on "The Dungeon Dozen". His art has a weird Clark Ashton Smith vibe that immediately caught my eye -- grand and alien in scope. Jason and I first spoke at North Texas RPG Con 2015 about working together and then resumed talks at Gary Con VIII earlier this year. Since then, Jason has begun work on AS&SH 2nd Edition, illustrating some frightening critters! Behold!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

9/30/2016 11:47 am  #62

Very nice! I love Jason's work and enjoyed meeting him at NTRPG Con. Super nice guy! Excited to see what else awaits. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

9/30/2016 8:15 pm  #63

Love it!

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

9/30/2016 11:44 pm  #64

Seriously? Jason is the absolute best! One of the real credits to gaming out there in this crappy world. I'm super psyched that he's joining the fold.

Be warned, though: you play in his game, and if you don't eat the mutant ape, the mutant ape *will* eat you.

Seriously, he's one of the very best gaming brains I've encountered.

I like my encounters in brain form.

10/06/2016 1:47 pm  #65

Logan Talanian is another newcomer to the AS&SH fold. At age 14, he is by far our youngest contributor. He's been taking art lessons for seven years, honing his craft with pencils, inks watercolors, and more. This will be his first published work. Logan Talanian, my son!

10/06/2016 1:49 pm  #66

Beautiful work at any age!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

10/06/2016 3:54 pm  #67

Looks great!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/06/2016 4:18 pm  #68

That's great Jeff!  Who does Logan inherit his artistic ability from---you, Erica, or Nyarlathotep? ;) :D

Allan.

10/06/2016 5:33 pm  #69

grodog wrote:

That's great Jeff!  Who does Logan inherit his artistic ability from---you, Erica, or Nyarlathotep? ;) :D

Allan.

I drew a lot as a young man, and at one time I dreamed of becoming an artist, but I lost interest, fell out of practice, and never reached the level of ability that Logan is now displaying. As a teenager and then into my twenties, I poured all my creative energy into music, but then lost interest in that, too, eventually deriving the greatest pleasure from writing, and I haven't looked back since.

10/06/2016 7:19 pm  #70

Ghul wrote:

grodog wrote:

Allan.

I drew a lot as a young man, and at one time I dreamed of becoming an artist, but I lost interest, fell out of practice, and never reached the level of ability that Logan is now displaying. As a teenager and then into my twenties, I poured all my creative energy into music, but then lost interest in that, too, eventually deriving the greatest pleasure from writing, and I haven't looked back since.

It's evident. One of the defining features of AS&SH: a lucid, literary, lapidary perciplex. 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

10/06/2016 7:32 pm  #71

Ghul wrote:

grodog wrote:

Allan.

I'm glad you stopped losing interest when you did!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

10/06/2016 8:16 pm  #72

rhialto wrote:

Ghul wrote:

grodog wrote:

Allan.

It's evident. One of the defining features of AS&SH: a lucid, literary, lapidary perciplex. 

Except that I seem to have misplaced my perciplex. Have you seen it? It's blue . . .

10/07/2016 6:15 am  #73

Charles Lang is the horror and weird fantasy painter who is responsible for the original cover of Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea. Charles has also painted the covers for "Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes" and "The Mystery at Port Greely".  

I first met Charles in the early 90s, and I've admired his work for decades! He was the first person I went to as development began on the 2nd Edition hardback of AS&SH, for which we needed a brand new cover. Charles Lang is contributing the front cover, back cover, and some interior pieces for AS&SH 2nd Edition.

Here is a paint study of the BACK COVER of the book. It features the same barbarian hero as seen on the original boxed set, and the front cover does, too. The front cover actually was in several weeks ago, but I'm waiting for the right moment to share it...

We are 14 days away from launching this Kickstarter! (October 21)

10/07/2016 7:34 am  #74

Ghul wrote:

Except that I seem to have misplaced my perciplex. Have you seen it? It's blue . . .

Sadly, no: whole picaresque tomes have been written about the quests for it.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

10/07/2016 10:56 am  #75

Ghul wrote:

Charles Lang . . .

That looks freaking fantastic.

10/09/2016 5:09 pm  #76

Yesterday, I ran a fun session of my forthcoming adventure module, The Sea-Wolf's Daughter, at Sticks and Stones. The players really liked the 32 X 40-inch canvas map of HYPERBOREA that I brought, seen here in this picture. Soon to be made available as an add-on when the Kickstarter launches for the Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea 2nd Edition hardback on October 21!

10/09/2016 6:33 pm  #77

I weep to think how much that canvas map would cost and how much I want it. :-)

What? Me worry?

10/09/2016 6:58 pm  #78

Beauty!

10/10/2016 10:33 am  #79

Will the map be a kickstarter exclusive or will it be available after the campaign?

10/10/2016 11:20 am  #80

Gorgeous!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.