!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/24/2016 1:00 pm  #1

Chromatic Orb

I understand it isn't part of the SRD, but has anyone else taken a stab at converting it to AS&SH (not that much "conversion" is needed.)

Thinking about writing up a spell inspired by it, possible with fewer possibilities.  Knar's Polychromus Globule or somesuch.

Last edited by francisca (5/24/2016 1:01 pm)

5/24/2016 10:28 pm  #2

Re: Chromatic Orb

francisca wrote:

I understand it isn't part of the SRD, but has anyone else taken a stab at converting [chromatic orb] to AS&SH (not that much "conversion" is needed.)

Thinking about writing up a spell inspired by it, possible with fewer possibilities.  Knar's Polychromus Globule or somesuch.

Knar's Phlegmatic Globe?
Knar's Bilius and Effervescing Oculant??
Knar's Iridescent Enspherence???
Knar's Resplendent Spittan????

Allan :D

5/25/2016 5:06 am  #3

Those are some beautifully Vancian names, grodog!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/25/2016 10:27 am  #4

Don't ever change, Grodog.

5/25/2016 8:30 pm  #5

Thanks guys.

Rich, I may have to write up a couple of those, if you don't mind? :D

5/26/2016 12:53 pm  #6

Here, I made one for you guys. I don't know how to get a table into the forum, so this might look weird (well, *that* didn't work!):

Ogdorg’s Unknowable Orb
Level: ill 2, nec 3, wch 3; Range: 0; Duration: Special
Ogdorg the Blessedly Unchanging created for the Francisca a way to reach into the stuff of primal chaos and pull forth an orb made from the seedstuff of the gods. The caster can then hurl this orb as a stone (range 30/60/90). The chaotic nature of the warp into which s/he reaches determines the FA of the caster: 1d4: 1: as Fighter, 2: as Cleric: 3: as Thief, 4: as self. Roll 1d12 three times to determine the orb’s color, damage on impact, and special effect. In order to cast this spell, the caster must sacrifice to the flux a gem of at least 50 GP value. For each 500 GP in value, the caster can influence any of the d12s by 1.

d12 | Color | Dmg | Special
1   | Pearly | 0 | White Light
2   | Ruby | 1 | White Heat
3   | Flame | 1-2 | Live Fire
4   | Amber | 1-3 | Underborean Visions
5   | Emerald | 1-4 | Gibbering Miasma
6   | Turquoise | 1-6 | Thaumagorgon’s Iron Blood
7   | Sapphire | 1-8 | Eye of the Overworld
8   | Amethyst | 1-10 | Medusa’s Mantle
9   | Ashen | 1-12 | Early Grave
10  | Jale | 1-20 | Webs of Fate
11  | Iron | 1-30 | Wildest Hunt
12  | Fuligin | 1-100 | Bad Omens

Notes on special powers:
1. White Light: Target is subject to light spell cast at its eyes; save to avoid. Beams of light emerge from caster’s eyes equal to bull’s-eye lantern and last 1d4 (1d6: 1-3 = rounds, 4-5 = turns, 6= days). Caster cannot sleep and is at -2 to all rolls requiring sight.
2: White Heat: Target must save or be subject to the effects of a heat metal spell (1 round hot, 1 round very hot, 1 round hot). Caster’s finger tips are coated in white-hot flames for 1d4 (1d6: 1-3 = rounds, 4-5 = turns, 6= days). This is sufficient to cause 1d3-1 points of heat damage on unarmed attacks and can ignite or melt many objects, including spell books.
3: Live Fire: Target must save or be coated in playful liquid flames that will tickle and slap the target, doing a decreasing die or damage each round and causing at least one flammable item per round to save to save vs. fire or burn. Caster speaks the language of flame (and only the language of flame) for 1d4 (1d6: 1-3 = rounds, 4-5 = turns, 6= days). Cannot speak human languages or cast non-fire-based spells. All nearby flames will incline slightly toward the caster when s/he speaks.
4: Underborean Visions: Target must save or have its vision rerouted to stygian Underborea. This effectively blinds the target for 1d4+1 rounds as wisps of living darkness, brain efts, gormless cairns, and other tiny and basically harmless creatures of chaos leake from its eyes. The caster must save or attract these creatures, which will nest on his/her person for 1d4 (1d6: 1-3 = rounds, 4-5 = turns, 6= days), attracting unwanted attention and drawing the specific focus of any otherworldly creatures encountered.
5: Gibbering Miasma: The orb billows into a 10' miasmic vapor cloud tinged with lotus dust and the ghosts of failure. The target and anyone inside the cloud must save or be incapacitated for 1d4+1 rounds by (1: deathlike rigor of the limbs; 2: visions of ultimate rationality; 3: soporific languor; 4: madness, convulsions, and gibbering; 5: cataleptic introspection; 6: sneezing and choking) unless the nature of the creature precludes such symptoms. Those who make their save must immediately leave the cloud and still suffer -2 on all to-hit rolls for 1d4+1 rounds as the effects continue to manifest. The caster must save or leak miasmic vapors for 1d4 (1d6: 1-3 = rounds, 4-5 = turns, 6= days) with his/her exhalations, from under the fingernails, and from other parts of the body. These will rot paper and cloth and incur negative modifiers on reaction checks.
6: The iron in the target’s blood solidifies and forms into bulging rods. The target’s skin leaks plasma and lymph where these break the surface. Target must save or these become magnetized, attracting ferrous metals and making it impossible for the target to successfully use these for 1d4+1 rounds. The caster must save or grow foot-long iron horns, destroying any headgear. These last for 1d4 (1d6: 1-3 = rounds, 4-5 = turns, 6= days) and can be used to attack for 1d8 damage at a -1 AC penalty.
7: One of the target’s eyes is covered by a faceted cusp. This forces the target to see into another plane of majesty, order, perfection, and undvided light. Target must save to close one eye in time to prevent being stunned by the irreconcilable bifurcation of perception for 1d4+1 rounds, when the cusp drops away and becomes a randomly determined gem. The caster must save or grow these cusps over both eyes. For 1d4 (1d6: 1-3 = rounds, 4-5 = turns, 6= days) the caster sees into the Overworld and dwells among the Whole. Dealing with material concerns during this time will be extremely difficult. When the cusps fall off (becoming random gems), the caster must make another save. Success allows the caster to immediately use a contact otherworldly being spell with the normal chances for madness. Failure indicates madness.
8: Medusa’s Mantle: On a failed save, the target is encased in stone for 1d4+1 rounds, at which time it begins to crack and flake away, though the target will be slowed for an additional 1d4+1 rounds. Caster must save or his/her hair transforms into small snakes for 1d4 (1d6: 1-3 = rounds, 4-5 = turns, 6= days). These snakes are nonpoisonous, friendly, inquisitive, and deeply disturbing to normal people.
9: Target must save or seem to die and rot, skin graying, nails lengthening, a deep odor of corruption pouring forth. For 1d4+1 rounds acts a zombie under the caster’s control except no ability to pass on zombiism. If the target is killed while so transformed, becomes a zombie in fact, though not under control. The caster must save or begin to rot, shedding bits of flesh and reeking of decay for 1d4 (1d6: 1-3 = rounds, 4-5 = turns, 6= days). This is harmless, though the caster can be easily tracked and all reaction rolls with people should be at -2.
10. Webs of Fate: Half-glimpsed spiders of impossible colors weave their nets around the target, which must save or be caught as if in a web spell. The webs will grow dry and brittle and crack away after 1d4+1 rounds. Caster must save or become infested with semicorporeal spiders for 1d4 (1d6: 1-3 = rounds, 4-5 = turns, 6= days). These give the caster the benefits and drawbacks of spider climb but also steal half the food the caster eats.
11. Wildest Hunt: Target must save or is transformed into a stag and a hound for 1d4+1 rounds. The two parts of the target will react according to their natures, the hound pursuing the stag while the sound of a wild horn seems to echo in the ears of all nearby. Half of any damage done by hound to stag will persist when the transformation ends. Caster must save or sprout antlers for 1d4 (1d6: 1-3 = rounds, 4-5 = turns, 6= days). During this time, the caster can eat only fresh raw meat.
12. Bad Omens: Target must save or take the worst result of three for all die rolls for 1d4+1 rounds. Caster must save or take on aspects of toad and sloth, sprouting coarse fur and growing a long, prehensile tongue for 1d4 (1d6: 1-3 = rounds, 4-5 = turns, 6= days).

5/26/2016 7:40 pm  #7

grodog wrote:

Thanks guys.

Rich, I may have to write up a couple of those, if you don't mind? :D

Who am I to stop a dude with a Doctorate in Dungeoneering?

5/26/2016 11:17 pm  #8

francisca wrote:

Who am I to stop a dude with a Doctorate in Dungeoneering?

Hahahaha!  Well-played, well-played ;)

Allan.

5/26/2016 11:43 pm  #9

Handy Haversack wrote:

Here, I made one for you guys. I don't know how to get a table into the forum, so this might look weird (well, *that* didn't work!):

Ogdorg’s Unknowable Orb

Great stuff, Mike!  I was thinking of something a bit more gross, myself, but I love the little gotchas for the caster throughout your version!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.