!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/08/2015 2:13 pm  #1

Teleport

To teleport successfully does the area have to be a geographic location or can it be mobile like the inside of a Romani's wagon? What about onto their own saddle on a moving horse? What about onto a floating Giant citadel the size of a mountain?

I'm leaning toward interpreting that the spell must be used either line of sight or to a fixed location and that it cannot be used to pop onto a sailing ship or the well known saddle of the caster. 

I'm sure the whole town won't burn down from setting the inn on fire.

11/08/2015 6:24 pm  #2

Re: Teleport

As referee I would allow a mobile target like a wagon or saddle provided 1) the caster was very familiar with the target in question and 2) the caster knew generally where it was (i.e., within a few miles).

If the caster had no idea at all where the wagon or saddle was, the spell would fail.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

11/09/2015 10:32 am  #3

I would say no to the wagon or saddle ("...the destination must be an unoccupied location on solid ground"), but perhaps yes to the floating citadel, if sufficiently massive to encompass "solid ground". The caster's degree of familiarity would depend upon the citadel's current location, however.

11/09/2015 2:13 pm  #4

DMPrata wrote:

I would say no to the wagon or saddle ("...the destination must be an unoccupied location on solid ground"), but perhaps yes to the floating citadel, if sufficiently massive to encompass "solid ground". The caster's degree of familiarity would depend upon the citadel's current location, however.

Yeah. Given the consequences for messing up, this is just not a spell whose limits I would try to push, were I a magician (*maybe* if I were a pyromancer; they'll tear your lungs out, Jim!).

11/09/2015 3:00 pm  #5

Well, I think how much warning/guidance I would give about the limits would depend upon my mood I think.

I'm more of the "well, you can try it and see what happens" mindset usually.

What? Me worry?

11/09/2015 3:52 pm  #6

gizmomathboy wrote:

Well, I think how much warning/guidance I would give about the limits would depend upon my mood I think.

I'm more of the "well, you can try it and see what happens" mindset usually.

Sure--the consequences are spelled out right there in the Players Manual.

11/09/2015 6:55 pm  #7

Handy, as you well know that hasn't stopped some rather interesting questions from the players. Written text by damned.

What? Me worry?

11/10/2015 9:07 am  #8

And some rather interesting answers. Like, "It's dark. You might be inside your horse."

11/10/2015 9:46 am  #9

Handy Haversack wrote:

And some rather interesting answers. Like, "It's dark. You might be inside your horse."

"...and I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

11/10/2015 9:54 am  #10

DMPrata wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

"...and I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

Exactly! Haha!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

11/10/2015 8:41 pm  #11

I'd definitely allow the floating citadel, would maybe allow the wagon, would not allow the saddle.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.