!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2014 6:46 am  #21

Re: Something from CAS that reflects my Hyperborea campaign

Ghul wrote:

I've read about him as well, but never his work. 

There are plenty of his dead-tree version books on ebay but they are pricy. I might go for 'The Thirst of Satan: Poems of Fantasy and Terror' By George Sterling for $16.50 with shipping, but the complete 3 volume set of his work for $285 is out of my budget.

3/23/2014 3:53 pm  #22

Ghul wrote:

For me, now well into my forties, some Moorcock work does not stand the test of time with me, but other stories I think are excellent. Vance is just off the charts brilliant.  

MM's works vary for me, too:  I've grown to really appreciate the Cornelius, Erekose,  and Von Bek cycles of stories (and I still love much of Elric), but I was never much into Hawkmoon or Corum.  Many of MM's non-Eternal Champion books are quite different in style and tone, so if you've not read _Behold the Man_ or _Mother London_ or _The WarHound and the World's Pain_ or _Blood: A Southern Tale_, for example, and have soured on MM's traditional S&S fantasy, I would recommend picking one or more of those up.

I've only read Vance's Planet of Adventure books in the past year or two, and really enjoyed those.  Need to ponder what to read next---I've read most of the Dying Earth books already, and the Lyonesse books hadn't spoken to me much when I was younger, but otherwise I've not read much otherwise among Vance works.

3/23/2014 5:17 pm  #23

grodog wrote:

I've only read Vance's Planet of Adventure books in the past year or two, and really enjoyed those.  Need to ponder what to read next---I've read most of the Dying Earth books already, and the Lyonesse books hadn't spoken to me much when I was younger, but otherwise I've not read much otherwise among Vance works.

Try the Demon Princes books. Those are great. Sort of hard-boiled.

3/23/2014 7:03 pm  #24

So I found a copy of "The Return of the Sorcerer", by CAS.  One of the stories, 'The Monster of the Prophecy', contains what appears to be a hint at Smith's sense of humor.

"...particularly by the priesthood of Cunthamosi, the Cosmic Mother, a female deity in high favor...  ...Cunthamosi was worshipped as the source of all things; her maternal organs..."

My sick and twisted mind finds itself seeing humor here, regardless of Smith's intent, forcing me to snicker.  :-)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.