!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/22/2014 10:06 am  #61

Re: Introduction Thread

flumph wrote:

Hi, AS&SH is like my favorite game ever.

Good stuff! Welcome. I like that avatar. Reminds me of the monsters that popped up in a lot of 8-bit NES era RPGs.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

3/22/2014 12:43 pm  #62

Hi folks, Merctime here.  But... There are some who call me... "Tim"?

Some of you may recognize my username from ODD proboards and Knights and Knaves, wherein I lurk most efficiently on a semi-regular basis.  That be me.  I've chatted here and there with a few of you, and look forward to doing so with all of you in the future.  

I'm an older gamer, who's been out of real table-top gaming for over 20 years but still love the hobby.  AS&SH is easily my favorite of the new re-skins of the world's most famous game.  

I'll still be lurking alot here, as I'm going through training for a new job that is incredibly time consuming.  But, I thought I should come over here and register, and also say hello to everyone while I have the time to do so.

If Ron Redmond posts here, I'd like to offer him a personal apology:  I had to drop my online B/X game like a hot rock a few months ago over at the online board he moderates at due to my job training, and have not been able to visit the site since.  Ron, I am truly sorry Sir.  When I have a moment I'll go and PM yourself and the other fellow who was quite helpful to me there.  Ah, Real Life!  What a treacherous companion are you!

Looking forward to reading the forums, hearing everyone's wonderful ideas, and learning about the new goings-on with AS&SH.  With a 6 day work schedule for the indeterminate future in my horizon I won't be posting much, but I'll try to stop in and offer some fun gaming stuff or at the very least some pedantic sillyness as my time and mood allows!  If nothing else, I hereby wish all of you a wonderful day, and many great gaming sessions to come, and good health to all of those whom you care for.  Happy gaming!

Tim

3/22/2014 2:03 pm  #63

Hi, Tim. Welcome!

3/22/2014 2:18 pm  #64

Heh, hey Tim!! Funny when I first saw "Merctime" my immediate thought was "hey Tim is here!"
I forgot all about the PbP, man those games are wonderful for the pace, but they die real quick on the vine, alot. No worries and no apologies! RL always comes first.
Great to see you here though! Be well man,
--Ron--

"No interruptions! I am El Jefe!"
[url=www.unseenservant.us]Unseen Servant[/url] for all your PbP needs.

3/22/2014 2:54 pm  #65

Quite a few names I recognize from the other boards, welcome all!

These boards have quickly become my favorite rpg boards and I hope you all enjoy the conversation as much as I do!

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

3/22/2014 6:21 pm  #66

Welcome aboard, flumph and Merctime!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/22/2014 6:25 pm  #67

joseph wrote:

Quite a few names I recognize from the other boards, welcome all!

These boards have quickly become my favorite rpg boards and I hope you all enjoy the conversation as much as I do!

What I never really thought of (until chainsaw brought it up last week) is that this board is nice meeting ground for folks who share a common interest but don't regularly attend the same gaming forums as one another.

3/22/2014 9:14 pm  #68

Ghul wrote:

What I never really thought of (until chainsaw brought it up last week) is that this board is nice meeting ground for folks who share a common interest but don't regularly attend the same gaming forums as one another.

Absolutely. I used to jump between ODD and Dragonsfoot, mostly just to check out the Hyperborea threads. I still check in at those forums, but not as much now.

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

3/23/2014 1:56 am  #69

Hi everyone---

My PC crashed a few weeks ago, which took my first Firefox window with this board with it, so it's taken me a bit to hop over from the Alehouse :D

I hope to meet several of you at GaryCon, and to play with some of you as well (I'm in Jeff's Comet game on Friday night). 

Allan.
(who won't be .sigless after this post, I think)

3/23/2014 6:11 am  #70

Great to see you here, grodog!

3/23/2014 6:40 am  #71

Hello you all,

Like a bunch of you I've just moved from another board where I was only checking the AS&SH thread.
I discovered this game as I was just done reading all Howard's Conan novels and now, I'm happily going through CAS' work, which I didn't know at all and quite like it so far.  

3/23/2014 6:52 am  #72

Nice to see you here, Odysseus!

3/23/2014 8:47 am  #73

Welcome to the newcomers, and yes a neat bunch of folks here!
--Ron--

"No interruptions! I am El Jefe!"
[url=www.unseenservant.us]Unseen Servant[/url] for all your PbP needs.

3/23/2014 10:13 am  #74

Allan, Merctime - welcome! Nice to see you here.

3/23/2014 11:13 am  #75

Odysseus wrote:

Hello you all,

Like a bunch of you I've just moved from another board where I was only checking the AS&SH thread.
I discovered this game as I was just done reading all Howard's Conan novels and now, I'm happily going through CAS' work, which I didn't know at all and quite like it so far.  

Welcome!

Howard's Conan is so much better than any of the follow-up work or the De Camp/Carter stories which I grew up on. CAS is absolutely amazing. I am re-reading his first Averoigne story and his prose is so thick with imagery it comes off as much poetry as narrative fiction. 

3/24/2014 2:10 pm  #76

Thank you all.

I couldn't agree more with you, Jason. I tried a couple of De Camp's Conan and didn't manage to finish just one of them.
Regarding CAS, so far, I've just been disapointed by some of his SF/anitcipation work.

3/24/2014 2:46 pm  #77

Odysseus wrote:

Thank you all.

I couldn't agree more with you, Jason. I tried a couple of De Camp's Conan and didn't manage to finish just one of them.
Regarding CAS, so far, I've just been disapointed by some of his SF/anitcipation work.

CAS' sci-fi work isn't his best, but I did find it amusing. It does tend to be his longer stories and I think he was best with shorter work.

3/24/2014 6:06 pm  #78

Greetings fellows!

About a month back, I bought the PDF of AS&SH and within a few days had ordered the boxed set, a Players' Manual and the Dunwich module from Noble Knight.  After receiving the actual physical product, I was completely hooked.  The PDF was enough to push me to buy physical boxed set but actually getting ahold of that gorgeous looking box, I knew I'd be starting a campaign up straight away.  Within a few days of receiving the actual boxed set, I placed another order with Jeff right at the end of his most recent sale for another five Players' Manuals and the Sightless Serpent module.  I was so enthused about the game that I bought those Players' Manuals for my entire group.  I even snapped up copies of issues 2-4 of AFS Magazine and already owned Knockspell #4 with Rats in the Walls within.

I started the new campaign with my group yesterday and I loved it!  I think the group really enjoyed it as well and I'm looking forward to a long and fun campaign.

I've been gaming since around 1978 or 79.  Started with First Edition AD&D.  All we had was the Players' Handbook at first, just making up monster stats on the fly.  We didn't even have any actual polyhedral dice.  We used 3d6 for task resolution rules.  After that, I played some B/X but preferred AD&D.  Eventually moved on to 2e AD&D and then played 3e and 3.5.  Five or six years ago, I discovered that I really disliked 3.5 D&D rules and started to go back to my roots running some 1e and 2e AD&D games.  Around that time I discovered the OSR movement and have followed it closely ever since.  I've purchased and played many of the D&D clones and D&D spin-offs including ACKS, Swords & Wizardry, OSRIC, Labyrinth Lord, Blood & Treasure, Crypts & Things, and of course AS&SH.  AS&SH hits the sweet spot for me.  I find the rules very similar to AD&D except cleaned up and clarified in all the right places.  The setting is the most evocative setting I've read in years.  The imagery is fantastic and the gazetteer entries are overflowing with adventure hooks.  This is the most excited I've been about a game in awhile.  I love it!

3/24/2014 6:13 pm  #79

Great post Santaj! Welcome aboard, my friend.

3/24/2014 6:33 pm  #80

Welcome, Santaj! I completely agree with your take on the game. After our first session a couple of weeks ago, one of my players bought Players Manuals for everyone else in the group! They all love it.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.