!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/12/2015 1:05 pm  #101

Re: Gary Con VII (2015)

Ghul wrote:

Great news, Handy! Looking forward to gaming with you.

Cheers,
Jeff T.

Hey, are there any giant apes for me to kill in Beneath the Comet?  Because, you know, Francisa: 1 Giant Ape: 0

2/12/2015 10:50 pm  #102

Only time will tell. Is the number how many times one died?

3/09/2015 12:52 pm  #103

I'll be there! Going to be arriving on friday and leaving on sunday. This will be my first ever convention, even though I have been playing various RPG's since the early 80's. Even though I did not register, I hope to get in on some walk-up games.  It's on all of you attendees to make sure this one is memorable. No pressure. Look forward to seeing all of you there, as well as showing off some artwork. 

Last edited by mavfire (3/09/2015 12:53 pm)

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

3/09/2015 2:15 pm  #104

mavfire wrote:

I'll be there! Going to be arriving on friday and leaving on sunday. This will be my first ever convention, even though I have been playing various RPG's since the early 80's. Even though I did not register, I hope to get in on some walk-up games.  It's on all of you attendees to make sure this one is memorable. No pressure. Look forward to seeing all of you there, as well as showing off some artwork. 

Great! Will keep an eye out for you. Gary Con should be an awesome first convention, even if it does end up setting the bar too high, hehe. If you like it, consider checking out NTRPG Con in Dallas in early June. Very similar feel game-wise, but maybe half as big, so a little more intimate.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

3/17/2015 8:55 am  #105

Good news! A room opened up at the Ridge, and my crew and I are taking it! We will be onsite and not so worried about having to somehow negotiate our way back to the Cove if gaming goes late (and sideways!).

I'll post a hook for the pickup game I've been prepping some time soon, too.

3/17/2015 9:07 am  #106

Great news, Handy.  See you next week :D

Allan.

3/17/2015 9:28 am  #107

Nice! Staying at the Lodge is awesome. This year I think I'll probably make reservations for next year when I check out.

3/17/2015 3:17 pm  #108

francisca wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Cheers,
Jeff T.

Hey, are there any giant apes for me to kill in Beneath the Comet?  Because, you know, Francisa: 1 Giant Ape: 0

Gettin' cocky!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/17/2015 4:56 pm  #109

mabon5127 wrote:

francisca wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Cheers,
Jeff T.

Gettin' cocky!

What abour mind-bats, Francisca? You feel pretty good about *them*?

3/17/2015 6:26 pm  #110

How big does it have to be to qualify as "giant"?

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

3/19/2015 11:52 pm  #111

Wishing you all safe travels to WI, and a most excellent adventure or several.

Gary's son(s) seems like a really cool guy and the event is/was a great idea in my opinion. A living tribute of sorts.

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

3/20/2015 7:53 am  #112

Here's an overlong blurb for the game I'm prepped to run when we have time and drinking inclination at GaryCon! It's Jason Sholtis's "Operation Unfathomable" from Knockspell 5 (intro text adapted therefrom), so if you memorized that when it came out, um, drink a lot in the next week!

I'll be using AS&SH, of course. I have ~15 pregenerated characters made using Blackadder23's fantastic "Waifs of the Boreas." He also graciously provided character portraits for them, and they are all printed on Maezar's Character Sheet of Wondrous Automation. It takes a Hyperborean village.

Here's to gaming with as many of you as can make it!

Operation Unfathomable: Hyperborean Remix Version
The Witch-Queen of Yithorium, ultimate and possibly immortal ruler of that ancient city-state and overlord of all the Zakath Desert, has had a rare moment of weakness—waiting too long to kill a lover who had begun to bore her. Now the fabulous Null-rod, an anti-magical artifact of mythic proportions, long kept safely locked away in her tower of alien stone, has been taken by the once-puissant Eyraen the Flaming Horn, who saw the writing on the wall as he began to fall from her favor. Driven mad by despair and frustrated bilogical urges, he stole the Null-rod and took an expedition of his doughty cataphracts, wily scouts, fell magicians, and blood-thirsty clerics of Thaumagorga into Underborea, there to prove he was still a man worth having by destroying the chaos godling Shaggath-Ka, the Worm Sultan. The things we do for love . . .

Only one mad youth returned from the mighty warrior’s doomed expedition. The Witch-Queen’s overseers at the nearby mining town found a rough map of a small section of Underborea in the youth’s tattered pack, along with a small golden idol of the Worm Sultan.

Just yesterday, the local champion attempted to plumb the depths with a sizable force of soldiers.. A half-insane survivor, before rescinding his citizenship; cursing the Witch-Queen, her beauty, and all the gems of the earth; and disappearing into the howling Hyperborean night, reported that the war band attracted so much attention it was drawn in to nonstop battles. The captain and his remaining stalwarts fell in an encounter with a singular horror, which the fear-crazed survivor was unable or unwilling to describe.

The Witch-Queen still demands that the Null-rod be recovered, and her minions tremble in greater than mortal terror at the thought of failing her. The section of the Underworld visited by the Flaming Horn's party may have been at least partially pacified, and so a smaller expedition may have a better chance of success. At any rate, nothing else has worked. You young roughnecks, adventurers, and fanatics, already planning a career in exploration, treasure hunting, and dungeon delving—and unfit for any other work—will simply have to do. As nominal subjects of the Witch-Queen, you are officially compelled into service. You are to proceed stealthily and choose your battles wisely. (This cannot be overemphasized, the Witch-Queen’s man assures you; after all, what could you really defeat?) However, the overseer says, there shall no doubt be a reward beyond mortal reckoning for your efforts: a face-to-face meeting with the Witch-Queen herself, should you survive—that is, succeed. Of course, there may also be the opportunity to reclaim any treasures procured by Eyraen before the Flaming Horn was undone by his frustrated fate. Either way, the Witch-Queen’s overseer is not leaving you a choice. Far better to die in the mad chaos of Underborea than to live to face the Witch-Queen's disappointment . . .

3/21/2015 5:31 pm  #113

School me up... 
Having never been to a con how does it work when you have'nt registered for games?
....let the schooling begin! 

Last edited by mavfire (3/21/2015 5:37 pm)

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

3/22/2015 8:48 am  #114

Wow, that sounds like a fantastic adventure set-up, Handy!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/22/2015 3:02 pm  #115

Handy Haversack wrote:

Here's an overlong blurb for the game I'm prepped to run when we have time and drinking inclination at GaryCon! It's Jason Sholtis's "Operation Unfathomable" from Knockspell 5 (intro text adapted therefrom), so if you memorized that when it came out, um, drink a lot in the next week!

Sounds like a good convention game, man.

mavfire wrote:

School me up... 
Having never been to a con how does it work when you have'nt registered for games?
....let the schooling begin! 

Hmmm...

a) you hope to join registered games anyway, which sometimes works either because someone else doesn't show (thus creating an empty spot) or because the referee simply has mercy on your poor soul (and accepts an incremental player);

b) you play pick-up games with other random people who haven't scheduled anything either during that time;

c) you have pre-arranged to play so-called off-grid games with other people that you know are attending;

d) probably something else I am forgetting.

Anyway, I'm excited! Been looking forward to this for a long time now.

3/22/2015 6:48 pm  #116

Thanks, guys! Looking forward to playing with you all!

In other good news, my friend is going to bring some beer from the brewpub in Michigan where he works (and I used to work), so we will have some party favors!

I'm excited too. We are so ready for this!

3/27/2015 7:38 pm  #117

Walk through of dealers hall, i see some hyperborea in there..
https://youtu.be/aCEo-fCFwtA

(Guy F originally posted this on google+)

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

3/29/2015 8:39 pm  #118

Had a great time at Gary Con! Nothing beats catching up with friends, having a beer and rolling some dice. I really look forward to this every year and this year did not disappoint. I played in two Hyperborea games and three 1E games. All were great! I'll post the Hyperborea pics first and follow up with some 1E and wargames pics this weekend, when I have more time.

Thursday night, I played in Handy's Hyperborean version of Operation Unfathomable, a Jason Sholtis adventure originally published in Knockspell #5. It was awesome! I died twice, gloriously - stepped on by a lava god, carried off by a googlepede. Saturday night, I played in Jeff's Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes game. Equally awesome! Our group basically won and all lived - except EOTB, who joined the viking ghosts and sailed off into the dunes! Lot of laughing in both games, which is always a good sign. Really can't wait for next year.

Gary's Table of Honor

Ghul at the Hyperborea booth

Handy Haversack's Thursday night Operation Unfathomable game (from left, Handy, J, Kevin, Todd, WSmith)

Handy's game 2 (from left, Ancalagon, Handy, J, Kevin, Todd, WSmith)

Ghul's Thursday night Beneath the Comet game (from left: Ghul, chrisj, Brian, Dex, Welleran, francisca, Richard)

Ghul's Friday night Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess game

Ghul's Saturday night Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes game (from left, Sean, Mark, chrisj, Ancalagon, Ghul, Paul, EOTB)

Same as above

3/29/2015 8:51 pm  #119

Thanks for the pics.  Really missed going.  Looks like a great time was had by all!

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/29/2015 8:59 pm  #120

mabon5127 wrote:

Thanks for the pics. Really missed going. Looks like a great time was had by all!

You were missed, Morgan! I sang your praises though, so if you attend next year, you'll be in high demand.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.