!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/10/2015 12:39 am  #41

Re: Gary Con VII (2015)

Jon and I will plan to arrive on Wednesday late afternoon/early evening, as usual. 

I haven't submitted my events yet, but will do so soon =)

1/10/2015 2:29 pm  #42

Cool! Looking forward to catching up!

Also, looks like they're starting to list events. I would expect multiple updates with new events added over the next few weeks until event submission ends on Jan. 25.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

1/11/2015 12:41 am  #43

Chainsaw wrote:

Also, looks like they're starting to list events. I would expect multiple updates with new events added over the next few weeks until event submission ends on Jan. 25.

So they are! I think I'm already mentally overbooked.

There's more newer games than I had expected--5e, 3.5e, things I haven't heard of, 2e . . .

I also realized that I've never been a player for AS&SH, and outside of the con, I don't know when else I'll have the chance.

1/11/2015 10:24 am  #44

Handy Haversack wrote:

So they are! I think I'm already mentally overbooked.

Happens to me every year. I always say to myself, "I'm not booking much this year, I want to play more casual, pick-up games in the bar and restaurant areas" and then end up booking more than I thought. Good problem to have, I guess!

There's more newer games than I had expected--5e, 3.5e, things I haven't heard of, 2e . . .

The organizers have been vocal about accepting a variety of games and the variety has increased as the convention has grown, no question. Plus, 5e's very recent release last year positions it well to have a strong showing as gamers of all sorts "try the new game." Overall, I have not noticed a material change in feel away from "old school," though the con is obviously much bigger now. My experience is that, for the most part, people tend to self-select into groups of like-minded folks and get along fine.

You know how it is... on the bigger forums there's a lot of friction over editions because some people have nothing better to do, but in real life, at the conventions, people tend to spend their limited and valuable time actually playing and talking with like-minded folks. These online-based editon warrior types seem to fade into the background.

I also realized that I've never been a player for AS&SH, and outside of the con, I don't know when else I'll have the chance.

Well, you will get a chance now! Looking forward to hanging out, man.

1/12/2015 12:25 pm  #45

Me, too! My buddy/player J and I are psyched. Now I just have to decide how many pounds of gaming stuff to bring . . .

1/14/2015 2:13 pm  #46

My event was approved this past weekend, and is posted here:

http://www.garycon.com/eventdetails.php?eid=983

Looking forward to killing your PCs, er...uh...meeting you guys.

1/20/2015 6:40 am  #47

Man, I would so love to attend this. It even begins on my birthday! Maybe one year. 

1/20/2015 3:45 pm  #48

Rastus_Burne wrote:

Man, I would so love to attend this. It even begins on my birthday! Maybe one year. 

Which is also my son's birthday. Which I will miss. To roll dice with grown men and make pretend I'm an elf.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

1/20/2015 6:03 pm  #49

Ghul wrote:

Rastus_Burne wrote:

Which is also my son's birthday. Which I will miss. To roll dice with grown men and make pretend I'm an elf.

Haha fair point. Although if the burden of attending becomes too great we can always exchange places ;)

1/20/2015 7:45 pm  #50

Hope you can attend one year, Corey. It's a good time, especially once you know a few people. For me, it's become a great annual opportunity to catch up and game with all of my online pals.

1/20/2015 8:02 pm  #51

Yeah and it seems small enough that it's a cool gaming experience, rather than a huge convention vibe. Some awesome game events listed too.

1/20/2015 9:11 pm  #52

Ghul wrote:

Rastus_Burne wrote:

Yes . . . pretend . . .

1/20/2015 9:30 pm  #53

Hah, I had a chuckle at that Handy. Luckily no one was at work, else I would have looked a bit odd smirking to myself.

1/21/2015 1:41 am  #54

This is a really cool interview with Luke Gygax on GaryCOn if you haven't already seen it. I watched it for the 1st time this eve. Operation Overlord gets some air time

http://youtu.be/pSprEEittA4

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

1/22/2015 5:20 am  #55

Scalydemon wrote:

This is a really cool interview with Luke Gygax on GaryCOn if you haven't already seen it. I watched it for the 1st time this eve. Operation Overlord gets some air time

http://youtu.be/pSprEEittA4

Thanks for sharing I watched it last night. 

1/28/2015 10:21 pm  #56

I am hoping that this year I can get in on francisca's game. It's been awhile since I had a pc die while he was DM'ing.

What? Me worry?

1/29/2015 11:14 am  #57

When are you guys leaving Lake Geneva? It looks like not a lot has been scheduled for Sunday. We're staying on till Monday and so could have all sorts of time Sunday for a game.

1/29/2015 6:03 pm  #58

capitalbill and I fly back first thing Sunday morning.

2/03/2015 1:22 pm  #59

I might actually be able to make it out. I don't have all the specifics yet, but I definitely need to be home by the 27th (daughters birthday). I likely will be in Milwaukee from the 24th through 26th. Is anyone showing up extra early?

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

2/03/2015 1:28 pm  #60

Awesome! capitalbill and I arrive at the Lodge Weds at 530PM. I think francisca will be there even earlier.

Last edited by Chainsaw (2/03/2015 1:49 pm)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.