!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/05/2014 10:54 am  #1

Recommendations?

I am looking for something new to read, but don't really much about S&S literature. I read most of Conan and Princess of Mars, but don't know much about anything else.
I'd like to find something with a Bronze Age or Iron Age style, preferably focused more on wilderness and exploration than big cities. (Sorry, F and Mouser.) And maybe somewhat longer narratives than Conan.

Anything you can recommend?

Last edited by Yora (9/05/2014 10:55 am)

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?"

Spriggan's Den

9/06/2014 12:55 pm  #2

Re: Recommendations?

Maybe try the Kane books by Karl Edward Wagner.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

9/06/2014 1:43 pm  #3

Ghul wrote:

Maybe try the Kane books by Karl Edward Wagner.

Yeah, I love Wagner. Try Bloodstone (1975), Dark Crusade (1976) and Darkness Weaves (1978). Gods in Darkness: The Compete Novels of Kane (2002) has all three in one book.

Bloodstone's my favorite.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

9/06/2014 2:10 pm  #4

Has anybody had much luck finding dead tree copies of the Kane books that aren't horribly expensive? I nosed around on Amazon a little bit and I ended up getting the e-books when I saw how much even the paperbacks go for.

9/08/2014 8:09 am  #5

I've been looking for the Kane books myself, with no luck. They're definitely on my list.

My advice would be to go straight for CAS, There is a collection available on Kindle for $1.99 and it includes all the Hyperborea tales, as well as Averoigne and Zothique. Aside from that,  any non - Conan REH might be a good choice. Check out Appendix N, you'll certainly find something!

Last edited by joseph (9/08/2014 8:11 am)

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

9/08/2014 8:39 am  #6

Also, Yora... James Silke's Death Dealer books (based on the famous Frazetta paintings) aren't too bad (definitely not as good as Wagner, not even comparable to REH), but they are sometime hard to find. Have to keep your eyes peeled on Ebay.

Prisoner of the Horned Helmet
Lords of Destruction
Tooth and Claw
Plague of Knives

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.