!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/11/2014 3:33 pm  #1

Edgar Rice Burroughs

Maybe not so much an inspiration for "weird fantasy", but an inspiration none the less. I picked up these 1st prints at the local used book store today.  They said they knew what they had but I don't think that's entirely accurate... :-)  They had a handful of first edition Tarzan books as well, but I'm not into Tarzan all that much.

Gods of Mars: $50 (I found 2 available on Ebay, one in comparable condition for $389 though I doubt it will go for that)
Thuvia Maid of Mars: $15 ($389 and $175 on Ebay)
Pellucidar: $12 ($49 on Ebay)

6/11/2014 11:09 pm  #2

Re: Edgar Rice Burroughs

Nice find!

6/12/2014 5:07 am  #3

Yes, those must look fantastic on a bookshelf. My favorite ERB material is Carson Napier of Venus.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

6/12/2014 6:09 am  #4

Thanks fellas.

I doubt I will ever read them since they are "antiques" of a sort.  I need to get a compilation/reading copy of the whole series.  I've never read any Burroughs and the John Carter/Princess of Mars sounds like a good place to start. :-)

6/12/2014 7:59 am  #5

Nice find!

6/12/2014 8:54 am  #6

I told my wife about the sweet find and what they might be worth.  She immediately said "well sell the effing things."

Women. ;-P

6/13/2014 10:59 am  #7

Burroughs is a lot of fun. I read Tarzan many years ago and last year got into Barsoom, Pellucidar and Caspak. There are some decent reading of many of these on Librivox, all free.

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

6/13/2014 11:27 am  #8

I recall reading all the Tarzan books in 1984/1985 shortly after seeing Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan. I didn't get into the other Burroughs stories until I was about 18 or 19. Anyway, I thought Christopher Lambert did a fantastic job, but it's been decades. For all I know, if I saw it today, I might cringe.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

7/11/2014 7:34 am  #9

Ghul wrote:

I thought Christopher Lambert did a fantastic job, but it's been decades. For all I know, if I saw it today, I might cringe.

All I remember about that movie was when Tarzan learning to speak. A guy was showing him to shave. "Ray-zor."

And I think I heard somewhere that Andie McDowell's voice was so bad at that point in her career that they had to use someone else as a voice-over. Not sure where I got that.

Marv / Finarvyn
DCC playtester (2011), S&W WhiteBox Author (2009), C&C playtester (2003), Metamorphosis Alpha since 1976. OD&D Player since 1975

8/15/2014 2:48 pm  #10

I just read A Princess of Mars. And now I know where George Lucas got all his ideas for Star Wars.

Even freaking speederbikes, in a book from 1911!
And all the character names wouldn't look out of place in Star Wars either.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?"

Spriggan's Den

12/23/2014 10:09 am  #11

Yora wrote:

I just read A Princess of Mars. And now I know where George Lucas got all his ideas for Star Wars.

Even freaking speederbikes, in a book from 1911!
And all the character names wouldn't look out of place in Star Wars either.

And keep in mind that Barsoom has a giant insect creature called a "sith." 

Marv / Finarvyn
DCC playtester (2011), S&W WhiteBox Author (2009), C&C playtester (2003), Metamorphosis Alpha since 1976. OD&D Player since 1975

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.