!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/29/2023 7:07 pm  #1

Necromancer & Light "Cantrip"

Minor question, but curious about the lack of a light creating ability (cantrip?) for the Necromancer (leaving aside the Witch as the Witch is so unique).  My inclination was to consider that the Necromancer might be the Magician subclass most in need of such an ability - after all, the Necromancer is quite likely spending a fair amount of time in dark, sunless areas such as crypts, barrows and the like, much less the common dungeon.  I note that they do have Infrared Vision on their spell list as a level 3 spell (the Magician has 1st level Light).  And, of course, they can carry lanterns/torches.

So something like: once per day per level of experience, the Necromancer can evoke a ground hugging mist that is centered on and moves with the caster. This mist casts a pale green chemiluminescent glow lighting a 10' radius.  It lasts six turns (one hour) and requires no concentration. The mist has no other effects (e.g. does not obscure vision). 

Understanding that one can home brew/rule as one wills, would folks find this 'unbalancing' vis-a-vis Magician and the other subclasses?  I suppose my hope is that this would be not only prove pragmatic for a Necromancer in their common haunts, but evocative of the ambience of the subclass, much like the icicle is for the Cryomancer etc. 

1/29/2023 7:43 pm  #2

Re: Necromancer & Light "Cantrip"

I'm thinking more in the thought that Necromancy is such a Dark class, that Light should not be a spell that they should have access to. Darkness yes, but not light. Maybe push them in the direction of Scrolls, or create a wand of Light for them to try to find. Or even have them try to create a spell through discovery/research (For a TON of Gold). but just baseline giving them access to such a spell I think should be frowned on, as it seems like it should be outside their realm of casting ability,

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

1/29/2023 8:00 pm  #3

^
Just to clarify, I'm not referring to a spell, per se.  Rather, a Necromancer (sub)class ability akin to that of the Cryomancer, Illusionist, and Pyromancer (Icicle, Coloured Globe, and Candle respectively).  I called it a "cantrip" for lack of a better term.  I should also note that I'm referring to 3E in case that makes a difference (not familar with earlier editions). For comparison:

Icicle: 15' radius, violet light; can be thrown as dagger.
Colored Globe: 10' radius, any pastel shade; multiple globes possible.
Candle: 15' radius, yellow light; can be used to singe or start a fire.

Last edited by Aelric (1/29/2023 9:52 pm)

2/01/2023 3:59 pm  #4

I like the mist idea! Just adding a thought for fun:

Dark Candle: 15' radius, appears as a flame of shadow held in the hand, functions as a light source only for the Necromancer.

2/01/2023 4:16 pm  #5

^
Interesting idea.  Thank you for the reply. 

2/02/2023 4:26 pm  #6

Why should the Necromancer get a free light-making ability but not the Magician or Witch/Wizard? 

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

2/02/2023 5:33 pm  #7

I like the idea that some classes can do things that others simply cannot; meaning, just because the illusionist, cryomancer, and pyromancer have such abilities, doesn't mean that the necromancer developed them. They might have been spending time learning all the lovely incantations and commands that would eventually allow them to command the undead whilst other subclasses were working on such trivial pursuits. ;)

I like the classes to be unique, but like I always say: House rule away! Make the game yours and adjust how you think things should be. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

2/03/2023 11:40 am  #8

^
Understood.  I was merely curious as to rationale there.  As per my OP, it occurred to me that Necromancers - who presumably spend a fair amount of time in dark places - would have need for some sort of readily available source of light, but sure, they have recourse to mundane means (torches and lanterns) and may have remained magically focused on other matters. I wondered whether this was matter of balancing vs. the undead control ability of the necromancer.  

^^ Jimm:  I'm not sure whom you were addressing.  If you were asking why I was "proposing" adding a light cantrip to the Necromancer, but not the Witch or Magician, I thought I addressed that in the OP.  Magicians & Witches have Light as a Level 1 spell (and Magicians potentially a familiar to grant them a bonus spell) so they have an early light generation ability in any case.  You might as well ask why do the Cryomancer, Illusionist, and Pyromancers have such an ability? 

Of course, the Cryomancer, the Illusionist, and the Pyromancer also gain Light as a 1st level spell.  Since Light has offensive implementations, in additional to being a utility spell, the Necromancer's lack of Light seems perfectly well suited to that classes' ambiance.  My suggestion for the class feature/cantrip form as per the OP was entirely utilitarian (although I thought that the 'green mist' manifestation was necromatically creepy) as explained: even a Necromancer has to see in the dark ... perhaps more so than any other class.  

Last edited by Aelric (2/03/2023 11:42 am)

2/03/2023 4:46 pm  #9

If you feel that way, I would say by all means, house rule away and give necromancers a creepy, green glowing mist ability similar to the illusionist coloured globe ability. Cheers!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

2/03/2023 5:25 pm  #10

Aelric wrote:

I'm not sure whom you were addressing.  

You.
Jeff and others adequately mirror my position.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

2/04/2023 8:44 am  #11

HattoriHanzo wrote:

Dark Candle: 15' radius, appears as a flame of shadow held in the hand, functions as a light source only for the Necromancer.

Yes, I enjoy this idea.

But how about that; as a Necromancer's ability, that they gain at 1st-level the (perhaps optional) chance to becomes a semi-lesser lich and can see in the dark without use of a spell, permanently. Cats and dogs will bark and hiss at him as he walks through town and human cringe from him, but this means nothing to him as the haunts their graveyards in the night?

Think I used something like that with the Banemancer?
https://hyperborea.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=17514#p17514

2/04/2023 5:27 pm  #12

How about using Animate Carrion then affixing a torch or lantern to the skeleton? Or putting a candle in it's skull? 

2/05/2023 7:31 am  #13

Jimm.Iblis wrote:

How about using Animate Carrion then affixing a torch or lantern to the skeleton? Or putting a candle in it's skull? 

lol, that is a good one!

2/28/2023 1:42 pm  #14

Love this thread

Na Chuba! Na Gita! Negatorie Na! Na! Natoota! 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.