!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/16/2019 10:54 am  #21

Re: New Character Classes:

Arch-Villains:

Well, this is a remake of the Necromancer (in WD/White Dwarf 35) by Lew Pulsipher.

It is call Banemancer now as there is obviously a necromancer in game; and think the name suits it well.

This in theory is a NPC villain, powerful, more powerful than necromancer, I think, but with a lot of negatives to balance it (I hope). Still as an NPC villain, it not matter so much if he more powerful, he is on is own (apart from hordes of undead) against the world; and whether he 6th or 8th level, he can be adjusted as like.

Also a list of his spell-like abilities, some new, some changed and some taken from AS&SH.

Still I enjoyed the Class, since I first saw it in The Halls of Tizun Thane scenario (hence the other post, noted I had lost 2 pages that had layered in creating of the scenario, fixed and are now in my forums for those who want it. If I had not noted 36 people had downloaded it,; I would not have mentioned it here. Just thought they would want the proper working event).

Still onwards, another villain, no I mean can you call a man who makes a contraption that makes perfect cheese-toasties, a villain...?

Banemancer Class: Here:

Banemancer Spell-like Abilities: Here:

So the Scientist:

I created this Class, for my Thule island, where the alien Scryphozeans had taken human prisoners and over hundreds of years trained some to be scientists.

It is basic, but that is what it needs, no major stuff, just references. Plundered (har, har) the stuff from Traveller, etc. But was like 8 months back and just quickly finished it yesterday, so unsure who I stole material from..., quick edit today and wala… 

But think it works as it gives a good reasonable structure for a NPC Class.

Scientist: Here:

Last edited by Caveman (2/16/2019 11:01 am)

2/18/2019 11:43 am  #22

Houri

Done for WD many years back by Brain Asbury.

I enjoyed Class, very Conanistic and been working at it over the years.

Well, I think it looks good, she does a bit of this and that, also spells (more spell-like) and seduction abilities, etc.

Houri: Here: 

Houri Spells: Here:

3/06/2019 9:13 am  #23

Merchant

Created by Roger E. Moore.

Well can we call a merchant a thief, hmm, still there maybe some...

Merchant: Here:

Note: Slightly redid Banemancer to clarify the price on Death Fane cubic feet price thing, I not good at measurements like that, but learning. Rest of PDF unchanged. The link above will still work for the redone PDF.

3/09/2019 9:09 am  #24

Noble-Theurgist ​

New Class, the Hyperboreans once ruled the lands, now they are in decline, lost on lotus-dreams and despondency. 

But once they where powerful and yet some may exist, or lie dormant in some enchanted spell, some may awaken...

This is a NPC Class, but of course some might use it as a PC Class, but they should be rare, this is a dying people in some form and their great power is dwindling, still who knows... They have the same power as a magician, and like a warlock, but with only 1d6 hp/level, so weaker is some ways, possibly to much lotus can do that...

Noble-Theurgist: Here:
Note:

Noted error in Merchant, people should be people's. Link above will get redone PDF.

3/18/2019 1:45 pm  #25

Cultist (NPC Class)

Needing a multi-purposeful NPC fanatic, I created the cultist...

As an NPC, I tried to not make too powerful, but they dangerous for low-level play.

Cultist: Here:

3/19/2019 1:56 pm  #26

Three Elemental Mancers​

With thanks to: Michael Moorcock, Marcus Rowland, Steven Bland, Carol Ashley, Gary Gygax and of course Jeff and many others unknown.

Had noticed in Elric novels some mentioning of aquamancer and air mancer and had an idea for these classes.

Spells, that are granted at higher level, example summoning dæmon I for magicians (which is a 2nd-level spell), is the reason why summon (elemental);  type: sylph, gnome or undine I is allowed as a 1st level spell as the elementalist's focus on one element allows them greater power in controlling lesser forms of that element quicker in their studies than multi-versed sorcerers; like magician who are forced to learn varied magics and therefore weaken themselves to the greater power independent-single-schooled sorcerers have. This theory affects most of the other spells.

Note: Spell which are from the AS&SH book will not be describe, but what is important, the various mancers might have the spell at a different level than stated in sourcebook.

Of aquamancers, there is plenty of water on mountains, mostly snow and ice, but water none the less and a great sea surrounding Hyperborea, still, in real life, the Kalahari Desert in south Africa's west coast, it a dry shrub land, but underneath it is vast array of intertwining caverns with clear water in them, plus blind catfish, so water can be found in the most extreme areas of Earth, with exception to the central Sahara.

* Some spells may seem too powerful for some GMs, but this is the joy of the game, take what you want and give nothing back... What I mean of course is mould it to suit oneself.

I also include a note to one aquamancer spell, great wave that it must be sought not learned as part of a quest, but this is just an example of multiple spells that could and possible should be treated in the same way. Aeromancer's storm spell, could be anther planet killer, so  at GM's discretion.

The lost mancer…

Wood is an element as some would say (non-pun), still the druid is the perfect mancer for plants, so therefore is the biomancer, whether animal or plant, a woodmancer also. Other names timmancer (timber) or Tim, or the great and powerful Tim.

Magical Items:

In theory multiple magic items concerning these spells can be made:

Ring of Air Protection: (as spell 3 times/day). Use level of user as CA level.

Staff of Earth Elemental Summoning: (summons a 8 HD earth elemental once/week).

Magical Skiff of the Sea: This is a small hand-sized model of a skiff. When the words of command are uttered, it transforms into a normal sized skiff. Another word of command can reduced it size back to the model.

Rod of Forceful Fount: Pointing the rod at a foe and activating the brass stud sends forth a gush of water (much like that out a fire hose) doing 6d4 damage, saving throw for half damage versus device. It also functions as +1 footman’s mace.

Stone Club of Maulik: A +3 stone club, some three and a half feet long, three inches diameter at it base and six inches diameter and the top, it is smooth and rounded with etching of runic writing and symbols covering its form. The handle is a foot long at the base covered in black leather secured evenly with bronze stubs, leaving two and half foot for the shaft of the warclub. This club does 1d8 (1d10) damage (+3 for magical bonus) and needs two hands to use, unless the user has a strength of 15, were he can use it one handed if he wished (no character with a strength less than 9 can use it).Once per day any wielder can shake the rattle to cast darkness with a 60-foot range (120 feet if used by a shaman). Once per day a shaman can use the stone club of Maulik to summon 1d4 gnomes (1-3 HD each). They will serve for the duration of one combat.Maulik it is said was a Half-Viking geomancer, dedicate to Ymir, he fashioned the warclub on Mount Ymir many hundreds of years ago. Though whether with Ymir's blessing, none can say.

Aeromancer: Here:
Aero Spells: Here:

Aquamancer: Here:
Aqua Spells: Here:

Geomancer: Here:
Geo Spells: Here:

3/20/2019 7:04 am  #27

Quick note:

Redid Noble-Theurgist, adding this (just noticed it; again after reading it years ago): so thought it made sense to add...

Clandestine Language (Hyperborean Esoteric): the Hyperborean sages'
and sorcerers' language, who refuse to teach it to other men and contains
certain vocalizations that non-Hyperboreans are unable to duplicate.

3/20/2019 8:57 am  #28

I am happy to hear that you are making modifications to the game to suit your own campaign. That's excellent. ;)

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/21/2019 7:51 am  #29

Yeah, love the work Jeff, it is good the game is designed to allow folks to be creative. I am, I think finished with the Classes that I think fits with my Grey Coast Area, just finishing the monsters. Need more water creatures so posting soon, the horde.

But the main reason is to complete a lot of stuff for AS&SH that I have on my computer which is unfinished for the past few years (especially by Grey Coast/Black Marshes stuff, which is mostly in my head, partly sorted or in disarrayed notes). If you do not do it, more stuff appears (as you will know) and create a pile of stuff that become a chore instead of fun.

I trying to finish a city encounter PDFs for AS&SH and I needed complete Classes for encounters, monsters of course and I cannot finish it till I do the rest of the stuff properly. So, I getting near to completing it, which is a relief, the weight just leave the shoulders once completed and I near dancing.

Neil

7/03/2020 7:30 am  #30

'Three hunters walked into a tavern with a chaos monk!' And the chaos monk sees a minstrel in the corner playing his lute and wants to end his existence...

Well, did not want to do this, but aaaagh!

Still, its is addictive and have added these four Character Classes to the list (plus two more see below/special).

Next a character class created by Chris Kutalik  and adapted by Handy Haversack and wrapped by me as any good Chaos Monk (should be): Note also, new weapon: nunchaka at end of pdf.
Chaos Monk: Here: 

Next, created by francisca:
Fortune Hunter: Here: 
* had to do some arranging, tracking not as good as scout indoors and not as good as Ranger outdoors, etc.
* Added Weapon Mastery for weaker fighter (so only 1 weapon at beginning, but feels good).

The Ghost Hunter (AKA: Dungeon Hacker/Psychopomp) by Arnold K and adapted by Handy Haversack with some nice (that is to make it nicer) editing by me:
Ghost Hunter: Here: 
* Added ability: Consecrate/Desecrate.

Ghost Hunter's Spells: Here: 
* Added two more type of spells: Heal and Hex.
* Love this ghost hunter, not sure how functional he be in a group, no play-testing etc., but worth a laugh. The ghost hunter picture I got from the internet, had to give him a new pair of boots as he had donned plates boots? And shrink his head, it was like twice the size? And the most amusing bit, is the holy symbol. I took Mordezzan skull picture and shrunk it to fit into the fellow's holy symbol dangling from his hand, looks good (just for fun). Now that a shrunken head! 

Last by not Lease with Derek the Hunter's: 
Treasure Hunter: Here: 
No chances, just as is; just glamorising it with a few pictures, etc.

Other Two:
These two are for fun: I had added minstrel to my tavern brawl scenario, which the chaos monk should have been invited too, if I had only known he existed!

Now, the minstrel in the corner is just a poor NPC class, but he just keeps wondering why the chaos monk wants to put a hole in his face with his fist?

Minstrel: Here: 

Charmer: Not added as too much like witch, it is a money thing.

It did a conversion of the witch for a male version and called him the Charmer, but the only difference; apart from typing it as a male character is I changed animate broom for:

Animate Rug: At 7th-level, transform a normal rug into a magic rug, this following an exhausting 24-hour ritual that involves binding a dæmonic, ghostly, or animistic spirit. The broom is an intelligent item that can be commanded by the charmer, called hither, sent thither, and so on, if within earshot. If anyone but the charmer attempts to ride the magic broom, it unceremoniously dumps the violator (unless the charmer commands otherwise). It has 80 MV if it bears one person of 250 pounds or less; it can carry up to two people whose total weight does not exceed 500 pounds, but this reduces movement to 60. A charmer can maintain but one magic rug, and if it is destroyed, he suffers 3d6 hp damage. For practical purposes, consider the rug a creature of AC 3, HD 7, hp 20 that is susceptible to fire (+1 damage per die). The magic rug functions but thrice per day, for a maximum period of 6 turns (1 hour) per use. It requires 1 turn to recharge between uses.

Well that is it, my list of Character Classes at present moment (hope there no more. Just Joking,; the more the merrier. Will have to work a plan that any new classes created must be encounter from a Class list chart). I still working at a large city random encounter charts thing and needed to do my aeromancers (way back in time) and his fellows to add to list, but after doing them, and other thing I just got tired, so work stopped of late, now, need to add these varied classes to charts, so that will need more time.

Had never noticed Handy's post till a few weeks ago, though think I did noticed them when I first visited the Hyperborean forums so many years ago. Must have been in a mind blank spell till now and its duration has expired (lucky me).

Note: In theory it is four hunters for the Chaos Monk is a Hunter of other Chaos Monks for to get to 9th-lvel he must find another chaos monk of 9th-level and defeat him in battle, it is the finding him that is the problem. So good hunting.

So again: Major Credits to Derek the Hunter, francisca, Chris Kthulhu, I mean Kutalik and Arnold K (is this another Kthulhu or Krakan?) for their good works.

Dust in the Wind chaps.. 

One day we all will be just dust in the wind...

7/03/2020 9:58 am  #31

Going all the way back to the original post and the note at rolling HP it is interesting how legit rolling can seriously affect things.  As I've noted here before, I give all my PCs a 20 HP kicker at 1st level, following the Hackmaster 4e method.  But by around 5th level if you're legit rolling oftentimes the character hp totals aren't any higher than they could have been with high rolls.  So in our current Swords & Wizardry campaign, the 5th level cleric has 34 hp.  He has a +1 CON bonus.  So he could theoretically have 45 hp.  Without that kicker, he'd be at a lowly 14 hp at 5th level, meaning he's rolled a total of 9 hp in 5d8!  The 5th level paladin is doing a bit better, with 51 hp (also a +1 hp bonus), but he'd be at 31 without the bonus out of a possible 55.  So I'm always a bit dubious when I meet someone who claims they rolled yet none of the rolls over 8 levels were below a 6 or whatever.

We have a deadlier crit system than standard AS&SH so it tends to balance out, but at least at first level a single attack (unless it's a crit) generally won't kill you.  As for ability scores, we go with 4d6, drop lowest, put in any order.  Maybe not a purist, but we've been using it more or less for decades so it works for us.  As for the ability score bonuses, we use the standard B/X ones for simplicity.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

7/03/2020 1:15 pm  #32

The theory is should I have long hair and keeps me warm in the winter, or short hair and helps in summer, when it gets too warm.

I agree, a method must work to suit those using it. I just stating, Method I is scary and should with logic gain a lot more character death, but it just: 1) sentimental evaluation; where it was how I original played game and 2) this game is a horror story and these low attributes and hit points add to the horror and 3) ah, what was three again. Still good fun, I must admit!

Oh, yeah, just remember three, totally agree with hit points, a fighter could roll 1 hp at 1st-level, then 2 hp at 2nd: aaaagh. I rolled a few NPCs with such low hp, but to me it mean character has to use more tactics to survived than those who get high rolls or max at 1st-level. 

When I did my first PbP Conan D20, It stated that each player after first level rolled a 1d6. so for warriors (1d10 HD) the 1-2 was a 8, the 3-4 was a 9 and the 5-6 a 10, same theory for other classes. Still I did not make it easy for them ingame; but to me it no fun for a player who keeps roll 1hp each time they go up a level. Getting a level should be fun, not ah ya bastard, I just rolled a 1 again!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.