!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2023 7:40 pm  #1

Lances cut down for use afoot?

I was wondering if anyone had anymore info to share on lances cut down to manageable length while afoot? How long would one be? Should it use the same stats?

1/30/2023 7:44 pm  #2

Re: Lances cut down for use afoot?

What I do is refer to the three diffferent spear lengths. If only 2 feet of the lance is cut down, treat it as a great spear (d8 damage, must be wielded 2-handed). If cut down more, treat as a long spear, and so forth. Cheers, and welcome to the forums!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

1/30/2023 9:36 pm  #3

Thanks for the warm welcome.

You're suggesting that A lance when cut down ceases to be a lance. Mechanically speaking, I agree. Now that you've pointed it out, I can see the logical progression from javelin, to short spear, to long spear, to great spear, to lance, and finally to pike.

1/31/2023 12:52 am  #4

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't allow a lance to be cut down to a short spear or javelin, in the sense of something that is balanced for throwing. I would probably keep it simple and say a cut down lance is treated as a long spear in every case. But I'm lazy like that.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/01/2023 10:42 pm  #5

The other issue with cutting a "Lance" down to a "Spear" is the diameter and design. the lance near the back behind the usual guard is made slender and then has a large section that is typically fitted with a counterweight of metal. The Lance has an overall diameter of about 6" from the guard, tapering forward as it drops to the point where it's probably 2" and has a metal point. The design is for velocity Impact. Cutting it down 2" would really only make it useful as a set Pike. Trying to use it as a Spear and Pokeing it at an adversary would probably take a player a 17-18 strength to hold it and thrust it hard enough for the point to reach enough velocity to do damage, else bounce off unless they were charging. I've held a Lance in my hands, it's a b**** to bring the point up. There is a reason that they were designed to be held under the arm and tucked up along the rib cage and passively held as the rider roamed around looking for a target. Also note, they were designed for a single thrust, as the length of wood was typically a softwood, Pine, etc, as Imagine what strength it would take to hold up a 20" long 6" round piece of Oak!! The reason for the Single thrust design is as a lance, they were designed to Impale. and there was little chance of pulling it back out of the opponent in time to use it a second time, hence the reason they have squires and armsmen that would carry extra weapons into battle for their night. But you're talking High Medevil when you get there. In the Darker ages, the Nights/Fighters in armor would Lance on the first charge and drop it in preference of a Horsemance mace Flail or Axe next, then move onto a Longsword, If knocked off their horse they would use any of their weapons they still had. If losing their shield they would draw a knife or any other weapon they had left...

If you need a spear, You'd be much better off going into a wooded area, cutting a long straight sapling, and cutting it down...

I've also used spears of 9" and 14" in a battle line wearing real armor and padded tips, in a fight with about 5,000 people on each side. Not a chance in hell even as big and burly as I am, would I even think about trying that with a Lance cut down...

Ya, I was one of those Crazy recreation guys... Huzzah!!!

Last edited by BlackKnight (2/01/2023 10:56 pm)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

2/02/2023 12:12 am  #6

BlackKnight wrote:

The other issue with cutting a "Lance" down to a "Spear" is the diameter and design. the lance near the back behind the usual guard is made slender and then has a large section that is typically fitted with a counterweight of metal. The Lance has an overall diameter of about 6" from the guard, tapering forward as it drops to the point where it's probably 2" and has a metal point. The design is for velocity Impact. Cutting it down 2" would really only make it useful as a set Pike. Trying to use it as a Spear and Pokeing it at an adversary would probably take a player a 17-18 strength to hold it and thrust it hard enough for the point to reach enough velocity to do damage, else bounce off unless they were charging. I've held a Lance in my hands, it's a b**** to bring the point up. There is a reason that they were designed to be held under the arm and tucked up along the rib cage and passively held as the rider roamed around looking for a target. Also note, they were designed for a single thrust, as the length of wood was typically a softwood, Pine, etc, as Imagine what strength it would take to hold up a 20" long 6" round piece of Oak!! The reason for the Single thrust design is as a lance, they were designed to Impale. and there was little chance of pulling it back out of the opponent in time to use it a second time, hence the reason they have squires and armsmen that would carry extra weapons into battle for their night. But you're talking High Medevil when you get there. In the Darker ages, the Nights/Fighters in armor would Lance on the first charge and drop it in preference of a Horsemance mace Flail or Axe next, then move onto a Longsword, If knocked off their horse they would use any of their weapons they still had. If losing their shield they would draw a knife or any other weapon they had left...

If you need a spear, You'd be much better off going into a wooded area, cutting a long straight sapling, and cutting it down...

I've also used spears of 9" and 14" in a battle line wearing real armor and padded tips, in a fight with about 5,000 people on each side. Not a chance in hell even as big and burly as I am, would I even think about trying that with a Lance cut down...

Thanks for this very informative reply. Let me get this straight, you're suggesting that the text is misleading and is infact stating that lances cannot be used one-handed while afoot or cut down to a manageable length.

2/02/2023 8:52 am  #7

Timbo Baggins wrote:

Thanks for this very informative reply. Let me get this straight, you're suggesting that the text is misleading and is infact stating that lances cannot be used one-handed while afoot or cut down to a manageable length.

I'm applying real-world experience to the thought of cutting down a lance to use as a spear. There are other "Lance" designs. Some of which may actually not have the heavy counterweight design, nor a larger diameter. more like a very long spear as a design, but again they were designed for a single attack (charge), and like the larger diameter design (the High Middle Ages Design) would be dropped after that attack. So point design does not have such an obtuse angle as a traditional spear, and If using a "Lance as a Spear, you would have to be holding it rather far forward, and thrusting would have to be Extra hard (High Strength).

Examples below. only a couple of lance designs of this sample would actually have the tin enough girth to be usable as a normal spear, and it would have to be cut to almost a short spear (not 2", but 3" cut to be in front of the guard).

Last edited by BlackKnight (2/02/2023 9:17 am)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

2/03/2023 4:24 pm  #8

Since Hyperborea has more of a Classical flavor than some other settings, I always pictured a "lance" as being more like a xyston or kontos than a medieval lance with a guard. Either of those weapons could a lot more credibly be cut down to a shorter length and still used.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/03/2023 4:55 pm  #9

Blackadder23 wrote:

Since Hyperborea has more of a Classical flavor than some other settings, I always pictured a "lance" as being more like a xyston or kontos than a medieval lance with a guard. Either of those weapons could a lot more credibly be cut down to a shorter length and still used.

I can see that. But when I hear the term lance, the thing that pops in my head is the more Mid/High middle ages forms...

Both of those examples could easily be just cut shorter, Hell they could be used as is if you just choke up on them as they have no guards...

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage

2/03/2023 5:31 pm  #10

Blackadder23 wrote:

"lance" as being more like a xyston or kontos than a medieval lance with a guard.

Thank you! Everyone pictures Mediaeval Times jousting lances. I'm not a big "muh history" guy but this is one of those I do harp on a bit.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

2/05/2023 8:09 pm  #11

Jimm.Iblis wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

"lance" as being more like a xyston or kontos than a medieval lance with a guard.

Thank you! Everyone pictures Mediaeval Times jousting lances. I'm not a big "muh history" guy but this is one of those I do harp on a bit.

Yes, I answer to most of that LOL!!!

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage

2/07/2023 4:20 pm  #12

It's better to think of jousting lances as sports equipment. Like fencing foils, they're analogous to something used in combat, but not made for combat. Can you injure someone with it? Yes, but you can injure someone with a hockey stick or bowling pin too.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.