!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/18/2022 9:38 pm  #1

Prone Attackers

I know about prone defenders penalty. What are you fine folks doing about prone attackers????

5/19/2022 5:40 am  #2

Re: Prone Attackers

Never encountered in all my days, but my first instinct is "a prone attacker cannot attack". I could foresee a circumstance where a character was prone and there was an assailant behind them, in bodily contact. Then I'd likely levy a -2 or -4 attack roll modifier, and WC would also factor in (e.g., a dagger would be easier to wield in a backwards attack than a longsword).

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

5/19/2022 8:53 am  #3

rhialto wrote:

Never encountered in all my days, but my first instinct is "a prone attacker cannot attack". I could foresee a circumstance where a character was prone and there was an assailant behind them, in bodily contact. Then I'd likely levy a -2 or -4 attack roll modifier, and WC would also factor in (e.g., a dagger would be easier to wield in a backwards attack than a longsword).

Admittedly, it's not a graceful swing, but it is something. And it's life or death so it's a desperate reaction. I went with a phase one 1/2 move twist and a -2.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (5/19/2022 8:56 am)

5/19/2022 5:47 pm  #4

Iron Ranger wrote:

rhialto wrote:

Admittedly, it's not a graceful swing, but it is something. And it's life or death so it's a desperate reaction. I went with a phase one 1/2 move twist and a -2.

Sounds very reasonable: as a player I'd be happy with that ruling. 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."

5/20/2022 6:20 am  #5

Personally, we watch eastern martial films, there is going to be one spinning from prone, legs flailing as if to strike at another; kicking their knees, hamstring the back of knees, so the other will collapse, causing the assailant to withdraw or be hit.

And same thing with a sword or axe; that swinging it around one's head from prone is not as difficult as one thinks if aiming for a leg and a warrior should be train for any possibility, not him standing in place sword-fencing? Still he vulnerable, hence the -4 AC and some mention as I searched through PHB of no shield being allowed, but uncertain if that was for some grappling attack? Still it would make sense if someone was pushed to either protect self with shield or attack with sword, but not both. The -2 you suggested Iron Ranger makes sense, it not easy, but not impossible.

But it should not be common, no warrior wants to be knocked prone. But the negatives can be constant, for example: did he fall on a wet glass covered floor? a banana? or was he bowled over by a raging bull or an ogre?

How would a Magician respond or an agile Thief? Will some person with a Con of 4 rise as quickly or as equal as one with Con 18?

Make adventurer roll a Test of Strength to attack or a Test of Dexterity if using a rapier of dagger to complete manoeuvre? Depending how he got prone in first place?

Or a test of Constitution for hitting floor and not have wind taken out of them? Of course hitting mud is better than hitting jagged rocks, so bonuses and negatives apply.

1/2 move makes sense also... if not a 1/4 if he fighting and rising and spinning and rolling and avoiding a giant's foot. Also heavy armour might slow some. As state an agile thief should be fast with a knife not a warrior on full plate spinning to his feet with a greatsword. Go for the groin Boo!!!

The list is endless, it is making the rule in the moment that in the end makes sense?

5/20/2022 2:21 pm  #6

Caveman wrote:

The list is endless, it is making the rule in the moment that in the end makes sense?

That's as succinct as it gets: make a reasonable ruling, with as much explanation as the situation calls for, and keep the game rolling. 

5/20/2022 2:29 pm  #7

I probably would not allow at all except under unusual circumstances.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

5/23/2022 3:16 am  #8

Indeed rhialto, too many options for a one time ruling...

For someone who is prone with a closeby foe might need a Test of Dexterity just to roll out the way and get back on their feet?

The list is endless.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.