!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/09/2022 1:41 pm  #1

RAW or modded

General question to the community. Do you and your group run prewritten adventures RAW (Rule As Written)? Or do you mod it for your tables needs/wants? 
I'm a tinkerer so I mod lots

Na Chuba! Na Gita! Negatorie Na! Na! Natoota! 

4/09/2022 5:39 pm  #2

Re: RAW or modded

Back in 1985 (or 1986, not sure), I ran two sessions of Tomb of Horrors at a gaming convention. Beyond that, I have never used published adventures at all (I might borrow a map and completely restock it though).

ETA: Not saying I don't buy published adventures, of course. I just never get any direct use out of them. I don't trust my players not to peek.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (4/09/2022 5:41 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/09/2022 5:51 pm  #3

Yes. I am the same. I mean I use content from them only most times. Unless I am in that mood to run official adventures.

4/10/2022 5:49 am  #4

I'm selective: I use Hyperborea modules mostly RAW, and others as sources of inspiration (essentially starting-points). The latter category is smaller now than it used to be, as I have hundreds of such sources.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

4/10/2022 11:19 am  #5

I do lots of the same. I do run the adventure but I mod it up a bit. Removing some things or adding others. Not so much ,"not" running it but adjusting it to the needs of the table. I guess the ones I do run RAW are super classic ones from certain game systems.  As for ASSH I only maybe mod them a little. Mostly adding instead of removing things.

Last edited by Chartauk (4/10/2022 11:20 am)

4/11/2022 8:31 am  #6

Basically what BA said. I run Hyperborea stuff mostly RAW but munge as needed. Stuff I borrow I adapt as needed.

I'm not beholden to RAW in general.

What? Me worry?

4/11/2022 9:20 am  #7

yup! Same.

5/18/2022 9:39 pm  #8

RAW always.

5/19/2022 3:15 am  #9

Cool

5/19/2022 9:07 am  #10

Modded, Because most of my players are also ones that would buy the modules...

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

5/19/2022 3:01 pm  #11

I tend to mod too. How much do I mod? Depends on the game booklet and other factors like game tone,npc's,previous in game events,ect.

5/23/2022 3:42 pm  #12

No adventure, even the G and D series, has survived contact with me as a DM without being modded to suit the needs of the players and I.

5/23/2022 5:04 pm  #13

Same. I mod about 90-95 percent of the time.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.