!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/09/2021 11:38 am  #1

How much technology is featured in your games?

Hey I'm new to Hyperborea. I backed the Kickstarter, but haven't read any of the previous editions.

I'm curious how often technology is featured in people's games? I love the idea of sprinkling in bits of ancient technology throughout a sword & sorcery campaign.

8/09/2021 12:56 pm  #2

Re: How much technology is featured in your games?

I myself don't use that much blatant technology. I'm more inclined toward having ambiguous "sorcerous science" devices. The possibility is there to use as much or as little as you like.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

8/09/2021 4:50 pm  #3

Hi Aen-Sedhe welcome to the boards!
I'm a big fan of the precursor civilization and alien "magic is really their science" tropes too. Adventurers are sure to encounter bits of alien tech and remnant advanced populations in their travels. But there's not enough of it to reverse engineer or help advance civilization out of the dark ages. So, my personal preference is much more than Howard's Conan, much less than He-Man or Thundarr. Roughly around Arneson's Blackmoor 

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

8/09/2021 5:03 pm  #4

Jimm.Iblis wrote:

Hi Aen-Sedhe welcome to the boards!
I'm a big fan of the precursor civilization and alien "magic is really their science" tropes too. Adventurers are sure to encounter bits of alien tech and remnant advanced populations in their travels. But there's not enough of it to reverse engineer or help advance civilization out of the dark ages. So, my personal preference is much more than Howard's Conan, much less than He-Man or Thundarr. Roughly around Arneson's Blackmoor 

Yeah I really like that idea too. I recently read the Conan story Xuthal of the Dusk and really enjoyed the little detail of the radium glowing lights.

8/09/2021 6:29 pm  #5

I'm trying to add more and more, but that really isn't saying much.

As much because I'm trying to make a weird scientist class  as finding a fun way to do it.

I even have tech from other eras like weapons used by a WW2 Ranger platoon.

Most recently I introduced one of my campaigns very briefly to my Warp Rider idea.

Swordfish Island from Echoes of Fomalhaut #3 I improvised some alien tech. The players haven't really investigated them yet. I can't recall if I detailed here those. Largely inspired from "The Lost Room" series.

What? Me worry?

8/10/2021 5:05 am  #6

I have a fair amount, inspired by Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes: lots of antediluvian artefacts of Lemurian, Hyperborean and Atlantean origin. I have also created a Weird Scientist class, as well as Sky Pilot, for my Old Terra setting, which is Hyperborea + Sword & Planet.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

8/10/2021 8:27 am  #7

I liken the "Wierd Science" portion of Hyperborea's setting to Ancient forgotten technology and Alien (Ancient Gods) tech. And placement should be not unlike Expedition to the Barrier Peaks from the original D&D. Once in a long while characters may come upon an ancient ruin where technology could be located. but not often, and limited (don't want to go full-on Monte Hall on them, as it's then hard to reign back in). 

For example, in something I'm writing up, I have two locations of technology (of about 8 active locations) One is an ancient Atlantian Pyramid that is actually a Prison, and another is a tower of an Ancient Atlantian Mage (now a Lich), and he has some remnant technology.

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

8/11/2021 9:12 am  #8

Oh, Taken from Dunwich (getting repurposed for something in Lemuria) does have some tech as well.

As noted in other threads it might lead to *more* tech.

I mean...yith always bring the tech.

What? Me worry?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.