!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/16/2021 11:36 am  #101

Re: What makes it a Third Edition?

Cool to see Glynn doing the maps again.  I like his work so much that not only did he professionalize my own hand drawn rpg maps, I had him do the maps for a book on military history I'm publishing next year.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

6/16/2021 11:54 am  #102

Spider of Leng wrote:

Cool to see Glynn doing the maps again.  I like his work so much that not only did he professionalize my own hand drawn rpg maps, I had him do the maps for a book on military history I'm publishing next year.

To be clear, he didn't redraw the world map. He changed up the color scheme. I'll be sharing samples in the coming weeks. Yes, Glynn is a gem of a man. Always a pleasure to work with. 

He did do some new mapping for DM Prata's 1st level adventure, The Late Trapper's Lament, which is going to be included in this KS campaign.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

6/16/2021 2:33 pm  #103

Yeah, and nothing keeping a DM from dropping in Greeks from a specific city-state into a chunk of Hyperborea.

I mean, if I can drop in US Army Rangers from WW2 into the Lug, why not Spartans or Athenians in some remote region? Sure the "native" Greeks of Hyperborea might think their dialect is weird or funny but hey, that's a role playing opportunity.

What? Me worry?

6/16/2021 4:21 pm  #104

gizmomathboy wrote:

Yeah, and nothing keeping a DM from dropping in Greeks from a specific city-state into a chunk of Hyperborea.

I mean, if I can drop in US Army Rangers from WW2 into the Lug, why not Spartans or Athenians in some remote region? Sure the "native" Greeks of Hyperborea might think their dialect is weird or funny but hey, that's a role playing opportunity.

Well said! Good stuff, Giz.

6/17/2021 6:12 am  #105

gizmomathboy wrote:

in my version of Hyperoborea i have a legend that people get lost in nights of the winter and other people appear. to support that to my players, after i said to them that legend through an NPC, i introduced to them a Spaniard from the 16th century with a rifle and a huge flag trying to conquer for King Philip a tiny island next to Port Zangerios.

so yeah, i agree we can do what ever we want but i'm just excited about the greek myth and culture representation in Hyperborea in a way that isn't "highly romantic" or "inspired by but different" that i see a lot in movies, games and other works of fiction.

-Gladiator, What is best in life?
-The inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents,  terrifying vistas of reality,  the peace and safety of a new Dark Age.
-Yee... wait... what ... WHAT?

6/17/2021 9:39 am  #106

Will Weapon Class be included in the new initiative system? 

Thanks!

6/17/2021 11:01 am  #107

ShadowsPawn wrote:

Will Weapon Class be included in the new initiative system? 

Thanks!

Welcome to the board, ShadowsPawn. No, there is no such plan for weapon class to take on more meaning in the initiative system. But I may not be picturing what your implying correctly. Do you mean for the order of attacking? Something else?

6/17/2021 11:24 am  #108

Thanks for the kind welcome.

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my question. I didn't see any mention of weapon class in the system that was presented. I was just wondering if it was going to be included at all in this edition and if so how it would fit into the new system (which I love by the way). 

Thanks again!

6/17/2021 2:28 pm  #109

ShadowsPawn wrote:

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my question. I didn't see any mention of weapon class in the system that was presented. I was just wondering if it was going to be included at all in this edition and if so how it would fit into the new system (which I love by the way). 

Thanks again!

Oh, yes, that was just a small portion of the combat system cut and paste to give you guys an idea of how we've adjusted things. Using weapon class for first strike is still a part of the game, as a referee's option. Also, weapon class has a direct bearing on a lot of other things, from a thief's backstab ability, to two-weapon fighting, to someone trying to cut themselves out of the belly of a giant toad... and more! ;)

6/17/2021 8:58 pm  #110

Ghul wrote:

...to someone trying to cut themselves out of the belly of a giant toad...

i'm intrested to know more about it :D

-The inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents,  terrifying vistas of reality,  the peace and safety of a new Dark Age.

6/18/2021 9:24 am  #111

Ghul wrote:

ShadowsPawn wrote:

Thanks again!

Oh, yes, that was just a small portion of the combat system cut and paste to give you guys an idea of how we've adjusted things. Using weapon class for first strike is still a part of the game, as a referee's option. Also, weapon class has a direct bearing on a lot of other things, from a thief's backstab ability, to two-weapon fighting, to someone trying to cut themselves out of the belly of a giant toad... and more! ;)

Awesome, thanks!  <<looks around nervously for giant toads>>

6/18/2021 10:45 am  #112

demetrisathanasopoulos wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Hang around the Lug Wasteland long enough, and you just may find out! ;)

6/18/2021 12:41 pm  #113

Ghul wrote:

someone trying to cut themselves out of the belly of a giant toad

These have been the most memorable times Weapon Class has come up :D

6/18/2021 6:53 pm  #114

Ghul wrote:

demetrisathanasopoulos wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Hang around the Lug Wasteland long enough, and you just may find out! ;)

i'm in the middle of the ocean with a ship and a crew, towards an obelisk. i'm not turning back now...

6/19/2021 9:15 am  #115

One of my groups are in the Lemurian Remnant and pondered trying to destroying one of those obelisks.

Players have such silly ideas :-)

What? Me worry?

6/19/2021 9:22 am  #116

gizmomathboy wrote:

One of my groups are in the Lemurian Remnant and pondered trying to destroying one of those obelisks.

It's obviously up to you, but I wouldn't allow the obelisks to be damaged by any power available to PCs.

Plus, my feeling is that the obelisks are what is maintaining Hyperborea as a livable environment, despite its current untenable state. If you really did destroy one...

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/19/2021 10:08 am  #117

gizmomathboy wrote:

i have spread misinformation about them. that they are like the black towers of Khromarium.
they will lose their ship crew from madness and be stranded there.

well that is a good subject for an other thread. we have derailed a little. this thread is about the changes of 3e.

6/19/2021 5:36 pm  #118

I absolutely loved the 2E map and am glad you got Glynn on the team for 3E! If I may make a humble request, would it be too difficult to render the large map in a standard poster size? I used the map as a prop to "show not tell" Hyperborea's unique geography but the non-standard size made it expensive to frame.

To be clear, the map is probably my all-time favorite fantasy RPG map and I am not trying to tell the artist how to do their job. That said, the non-standard size is a little limiting for those of us who want to show it off and use it as a prop.

Last edited by Brock Savage (6/19/2021 5:45 pm)

6/19/2021 7:14 pm  #119

Yeah, they aren't gonna do harm and if they do...really awful things would happen if they could.

What? Me worry?

6/19/2021 8:26 pm  #120

Blackadder23 wrote:

Plus, my feeling is that the obelisks are what is maintaining Hyperborea as a livable environment, despite its current untenable state. If you really did destroy one...

That is my take on the obelisks as well. In the unlikely event that PCs managed to wield mighty cosmic forces beyond the comprehension of Man to damage or destroy one of the obelisks it would have disastrous effects across the entire planet/spaceship/cosmic petri dish known as Hyperborea

Last edited by Brock Savage (6/19/2021 8:26 pm)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.