!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/12/2021 8:57 am  #1

My Landscaping

One advantage of being mostly locked down during this nightmare hell-year year was that I got to work on my landscaping. Now you all get to look at pictures and hear me drone on about it. (In actual fact I've been working on this since we moved in over thirteen years ago; there are only a couple of plants in these pictures that I didn't plant.)

Our front yard as seen from the street.

The left side of the front yard, with masses of Mexican primrose flanking the end of the front walk.

Our front fountain, flanked by the ubiquitous (at least in West Virginia) Stella D'oro daylilies.Behind the fountain you can see one of my rain barrels (why let the gutter water go to waster?) On both sides of the front yard can be seen the new ground cover I planted this year, miniature purple wintercreeper.

The right side of my front yard, under the shade of my infamous Japanese maple. That's a cool spot to sit and read, even in August. In the back are some firecracker bushes (which aren't doing very well due to the shade - the maple was only supposed to grow eight feet tall, not twenty!) and a shrub that I actually didn't plant myself (I think it's a yew). The fern garden was also already there when we moved in, although I have added some ferns.

Closeup of the miniature wintercreeper. None of it was actually touching when I planted it in March, so you can see how fast it grows. It turns a reddish-purple color in the winter, hence the name.

The front yard as seen from our right (non-shared) driveway. More Stella D'oro daylilies (I told you they were ubiquitous). The lower retaining wall built in 2016 gave me an opportunity to landscape a raised planter, which I filled with blue spruce sedum.

Closeup of the blue spruce sedum. I planted it for the foilage, and had no idea (at the time that I planted it) that it would have flowers at all!

More below - I'm told the most breathtaking stuff is actually hidden from the street!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/12/2021 9:31 am  #2

Re: My Landscaping

Indeed that japanese maple is famous. :-)

Nice work.

I'll have to subject you to our landscaping. Impressive work down by my spouse with me trying to help. :-)

What? Me worry?

6/12/2021 9:46 am  #3

The left (shared) driveway side of the house, site of the infamous Opium Wars of 2014-16 (don't ask). The plants are a mixture of trailing juniper (which didn't work out that well), hostas, and daylilies (guess what kind! In all seriousness, the lily behind the side door was supposed to be a red Stella D'Oro, and it's just a regular gold one. It was a free gift with purchase anyway, but now that I know red ones exist, I really want one...)

The right side of the house, mostly trailing juniper that did work out.

The back yard as seen from the right side. You'll never guess what type of daylilies those are! They bloom for about five months of the year if you deadhead the spent blossoms.

The back yard as seem from the left side.

The back fountain. The sedum growing around it is a local pest species that I allowed to stay. Behind it is a spruce shrub and a bed of periwinkle. My mother swiped that petrified wood near the Buddha from a state park.

A bed of (full-sized) purple wintercreeper and some emerald-and-gold bushes.

The raised planter in the back, which was already there when we moved in, although curiously it had nothing in it but some bulbs (tulips and the like). Now it has sedums for fall color (they bloom dark red and hot pink). In front of the planter is some lamb's ear, another local pest species I have allowed to remain, and a bed of pink chintz thyme.

Finally, a seedling of my Japanese maple that I found and replanted. It probably won't survive - most tree seedlings don't - but if it does, I'll have another beautiful tree in seven or eight years!

Last edited by Blackadder23 (6/12/2021 9:47 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/12/2021 9:50 am  #4

gizmomathboy wrote:

Indeed that japanese maple is famous. :-)

Nice work.

Thank you!

gizmomathboy wrote:

I'll have to subject you to our landscaping. Impressive work down by my spouse with me trying to help. :-)

Please do!
ETA: In fact, feel free to use this thread for that purpose. It can be everybody's "my landscaping".

Last edited by Blackadder23 (6/12/2021 9:59 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/13/2021 8:20 am  #5

Beautiful landscaping and NO LAWN TO MOW! Looks and sounds like paradise. Wonderful work, BA. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

6/13/2021 1:04 pm  #6

Ghul wrote:

Beautiful landscaping and NO LAWN TO MOW! Looks and sounds like paradise. Wonderful work, BA. 

Thanks! "No lawn to mow" was indeed my motivation when I started this project in 2008.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.