Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™


Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!



You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/12/2020 6:53 pm  #3241


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

ooc:  I know, right?!  

Kondor takes back his blade with a grin, then grabs the backpacks and heads towards Gundrabu.  

Unfortunately the force of the muck and cold water mix keeps Kondor pinned against the grate. 

He already has both backpacks in his grasp.  

[Roll a STR test to pivot and snatch the sword with this much rushing muckwater.]
 


 
 

10/12/2020 9:44 pm  #3242


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

d6: 1! I found a dice that rolls properly. The DCC rpg special dice I got are lucky for rolling high, it seems!

 

10/12/2020 10:22 pm  #3243


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

The sword practically pulls itself from the grate and leaps into Kondor's grasp!

The 2 bags in his left hand are are very cumbersome however!


 
     Thread Starter
 

10/13/2020 10:38 am  #3244


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

“Kondor, my friend, I can’t get to you within this tumult! I lost my lantern, and it’s all I can do to keep the lantern alight. I advise you simply hold on, for I expect we are draining the chamber. The current should abate anon.”


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

10/13/2020 12:25 pm  #3245


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Eirvit wrote:

“Kondor, my friend, I can’t get to you within this tumult! I lost my lantern, and it’s all I can do to keep the lantern alight. I advise you simply hold on, for I expect we are draining the chamber. The current should abate anon.”

Indeed, for now in the flickering flame's glow you both see a 20 ft diameter chiseled flat stone formation in the center of the cavefloor begin to emerge from the muck/frigid water mix.


 
     Thread Starter
 

10/13/2020 8:44 pm  #3246


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Kondor holds on while the water drains, and is wary of dangers that may appear.

 

10/14/2020 2:46 pm  #3247


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor holds on while the water drains, and is wary of dangers that may appear.

The pressing flush of the muck begins to subside as more of the stone formation is revealed.  

A flow of clear water continues to bubble up from the center of the flat surface, running over the edge and down the stone sides.


 
     Thread Starter
 

10/15/2020 10:47 am  #3248


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor holds on while the water drains, and is wary of dangers that may appear.

The pressing flush of the muck begins to subside as more of the stone formation is revealed.  

A flow of clear water continues to bubble up from the center of the flat surface, running over the edge and down the stone sides.

As soon as he is able, Kondor moves over to it and washes off the muck. His worry is the exposure to the offal of the beast men could cause disease - as he was taught by his grandmother, a wise woman in the village who knew much about healing and midwifery, which gave her the common name of grandmother to the whole tribe, even though she was too ancient to have been the grandmother of any other living then. He washed himself off, then saw to releasing the boats and looking around the now-emptied room.

 

10/15/2020 12:42 pm  #3249


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor holds on while the water drains, and is wary of dangers that may appear.

The pressing flush of the muck begins to subside as more of the stone formation is revealed.  

A flow of clear water continues to bubble up from the center of the flat surface, running over the edge and down the stone sides.

As soon as he is able, Kondor moves over to it and washes off the muck. His worry is the exposure to the offal of the beast men could cause disease - as he was taught by his grandmother, a wise woman in the village who knew much about healing and midwifery, which gave her the common name of grandmother to the whole tribe, even though she was too ancient to have been the grandmother of any other living then. He washed himself off, then saw to releasing the boats and looking around the now-emptied room.

Indeed, she was a very wise woman, the cuts Kondor sustained against the Giant Ticks in the log recently already sizzle with pus.

[Kondor +250 XP for grandmother wisdom retention.]

More muck drains away, and Kondor moves through the shin deep waste toward the 12" slab, now exposed 3 ft in the air.  The clear water bubbling from the center stone formation runs into a slightly raised channel which extends to the grate.
 


 
     Thread Starter
 

10/15/2020 6:41 pm  #3250


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

And suddenly a shrill voice rings out from over head....

"Barbarian, is that you covered in the stinking, foul s*** of beasts down there?"


 
     Thread Starter
 

10/16/2020 12:02 pm  #3251


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

And suddenly a shrill voice rings out from over head....

"Barbarian, is that you covered in the stinking, foul s*** of beasts down there?"

Kondor looks up, trying to remember whose voice that could be in after all this time.

"Aye, and who are you? Ye'd best have a rope or a way out of here." The barbarian calls up, finding his voice despite the stench of the area and his general tiredness.

 

10/17/2020 9:07 am  #3252


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

"I can do better than that," says the familiar Ixian woman. She moves to the front of the tall cylinder and begins to turn a large wheel set in front of it up on the edge of the upper chamber. "Get yourself upon the elevator below."


 
     Thread Starter
 

10/17/2020 11:16 am  #3253


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Gundrabu does so immediately, retaining the lantern but looking hopefully, in the ebbing water, for a pack or two.


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

10/17/2020 2:46 pm  #3254


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu does so immediately, retaining the lantern but looking hopefully, in the ebbing water, for a pack or two.

Kondor grins. "Hah! I knew you weren't dead. From now on we stay together. And look out, there was... something here making strange imitations of our voices."

Kondor makes light conversation as he drags the packs over to the "elevator", but his eyes are searching around them for danger. He knows there was something mimicking their voices - and is hoping the Ixian isn't just a figment of their imaginations! Too simple a solution to their dilemma, his paranoia warns him to stay vigilant even if it does seem like welcome news.

 

10/17/2020 3:28 pm  #3255


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu does so immediately, retaining the lantern but looking hopefully, in the ebbing water, for a pack or two.

Kondor holds your pack and Igrest's pack in his hand approaching you. Your keen eye does spy what looks lik your lost flail under the drop off, as well as a pair of crampons near the wall.


 
     Thread Starter
 

10/17/2020 6:46 pm  #3256


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu does so immediately, retaining the lantern but looking hopefully, in the ebbing water, for a pack or two.

Kondor holds your pack and Igrest's pack in his hand approaching you. Your keen eye does spy what looks lik your lost flail under the drop off, as well as a pair of crampons near the wall.

Nice! He totally grabs them on his way to the elevator!


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

10/17/2020 7:48 pm  #3257


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Eirvit wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu does so immediately, retaining the lantern but looking hopefully, in the ebbing water, for a pack or two.

Kondor holds your pack and Igrest's pack in his hand approaching you. Your keen eye does spy what looks lik your lost flail under the drop off, as well as a pair of crampons near the wall.

Nice! He totally grabs them on his way to the elevator!

The cleric is already upon the "elevator". Does he wish to leave it and go collect those items?


 
     Thread Starter
 

10/18/2020 10:10 am  #3258


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:


Kondor holds your pack and Igrest's pack in his hand approaching you. Your keen eye does spy what looks lik your lost flail under the drop off, as well as a pair of crampons near the wall.

Nice! He totally grabs them on his way to the elevator!

The cleric is already upon the "elevator". Does he wish to leave it and go collect those items?

Okay, Gundrabu will step off the elevator to go get his items.

Incidentally, I thought Gundrabu was still in a canoe. Has the water drained so much as to make this impossible?


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

10/18/2020 11:14 am  #3259


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Eirvit wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:


Nice! He totally grabs them on his way to the elevator!

The cleric is already upon the "elevator". Does he wish to leave it and go collect those items?

Okay, Gundrabu will step off the elevator to go get his items.

Incidentally, I thought Gundrabu was still in a canoe. Has the water drained so much as to make this impossible?

No.
Gundrabu crashed onto the slab in his effort to grab a second canoe and free it. This dumped Kondor's pack, the lighted lamp and the cleric out onto the slab.   The lamp bounced along toward the far edge and the cleric crawled after it.  Then the Kraken helped the non-dextrous Esquimeaux grab it from falling into the wet muck just in time!

 


 
     Thread Starter
 

10/18/2020 11:16 am  #3260


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Kondor puts the packs on the elevator, then looks around to see if there's anything they left behind. If he sees the weapon and crampons, he'll grab them and pass them to Gundrabu.

 

Board footera






“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2020 North Wind Adventures, LLC.