!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/12/2020 6:53 pm  #3241

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

ooc:  I know, right?!  

Kondor takes back his blade with a grin, then grabs the backpacks and heads towards Gundrabu.  

Unfortunately the force of the muck and cold water mix keeps Kondor pinned against the grate. 

He already has both backpacks in his grasp.  

[Roll a STR test to pivot and snatch the sword with this much rushing muckwater.]

10/12/2020 9:44 pm  #3242

d6: 1! I found a dice that rolls properly. The DCC rpg special dice I got are lucky for rolling high, it seems!

10/12/2020 10:22 pm  #3243

The sword practically pulls itself from the grate and leaps into Kondor's grasp!

The 2 bags in his left hand are are very cumbersome however!

10/13/2020 10:38 am  #3244

“Kondor, my friend, I can’t get to you within this tumult! I lost my lantern, and it’s all I can do to keep the lantern alight. I advise you simply hold on, for I expect we are draining the chamber. The current should abate anon.”

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

10/13/2020 12:25 pm  #3245

Eirvit wrote:

“Kondor, my friend, I can’t get to you within this tumult! I lost my lantern, and it’s all I can do to keep the lantern alight. I advise you simply hold on, for I expect we are draining the chamber. The current should abate anon.”

Indeed, for now in the flickering flame's glow you both see a 20 ft diameter chiseled flat stone formation in the center of the cavefloor begin to emerge from the muck/frigid water mix.

10/13/2020 8:44 pm  #3246

Kondor holds on while the water drains, and is wary of dangers that may appear.

10/14/2020 2:46 pm  #3247

fireinthedust wrote:

The pressing flush of the muck begins to subside as more of the stone formation is revealed.  

A flow of clear water continues to bubble up from the center of the flat surface, running over the edge and down the stone sides.

10/15/2020 10:47 am  #3248

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

The pressing flush of the muck begins to subside as more of the stone formation is revealed.  

A flow of clear water continues to bubble up from the center of the flat surface, running over the edge and down the stone sides.

As soon as he is able, Kondor moves over to it and washes off the muck. His worry is the exposure to the offal of the beast men could cause disease - as he was taught by his grandmother, a wise woman in the village who knew much about healing and midwifery, which gave her the common name of grandmother to the whole tribe, even though she was too ancient to have been the grandmother of any other living then. He washed himself off, then saw to releasing the boats and looking around the now-emptied room.

10/15/2020 12:42 pm  #3249

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

As soon as he is able, Kondor moves over to it and washes off the muck. His worry is the exposure to the offal of the beast men could cause disease - as he was taught by his grandmother, a wise woman in the village who knew much about healing and midwifery, which gave her the common name of grandmother to the whole tribe, even though she was too ancient to have been the grandmother of any other living then. He washed himself off, then saw to releasing the boats and looking around the now-emptied room.

Indeed, she was a very wise woman, the cuts Kondor sustained against the Giant Ticks in the log recently already sizzle with pus.

[Kondor +250 XP for grandmother wisdom retention.]

More muck drains away, and Kondor moves through the shin deep waste toward the 12" slab, now exposed 3 ft in the air.  The clear water bubbling from the center stone formation runs into a slightly raised channel which extends to the grate.

10/15/2020 6:41 pm  #3250

And suddenly a shrill voice rings out from over head....

"Barbarian, is that you covered in the stinking, foul s*** of beasts down there?"

10/16/2020 12:02 pm  #3251

Iron Ranger wrote:

And suddenly a shrill voice rings out from over head....

"Barbarian, is that you covered in the stinking, foul s*** of beasts down there?"

Kondor looks up, trying to remember whose voice that could be in after all this time.

"Aye, and who are you? Ye'd best have a rope or a way out of here." The barbarian calls up, finding his voice despite the stench of the area and his general tiredness.

10/17/2020 9:07 am  #3252

"I can do better than that," says the familiar Ixian woman. She moves to the front of the tall cylinder and begins to turn a large wheel set in front of it up on the edge of the upper chamber. "Get yourself upon the elevator below."

10/17/2020 11:16 am  #3253

Gundrabu does so immediately, retaining the lantern but looking hopefully, in the ebbing water, for a pack or two.

10/17/2020 2:46 pm  #3254

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu does so immediately, retaining the lantern but looking hopefully, in the ebbing water, for a pack or two.

Kondor grins. "Hah! I knew you weren't dead. From now on we stay together. And look out, there was... something here making strange imitations of our voices."

Kondor makes light conversation as he drags the packs over to the "elevator", but his eyes are searching around them for danger. He knows there was something mimicking their voices - and is hoping the Ixian isn't just a figment of their imaginations! Too simple a solution to their dilemma, his paranoia warns him to stay vigilant even if it does seem like welcome news.

10/17/2020 3:28 pm  #3255

Eirvit wrote:

Kondor holds your pack and Igrest's pack in his hand approaching you. Your keen eye does spy what looks lik your lost flail under the drop off, as well as a pair of crampons near the wall.

10/17/2020 6:46 pm  #3256

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

Kondor holds your pack and Igrest's pack in his hand approaching you. Your keen eye does spy what looks lik your lost flail under the drop off, as well as a pair of crampons near the wall.

Nice! He totally grabs them on his way to the elevator!

10/17/2020 7:48 pm  #3257

Eirvit wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

The cleric is already upon the "elevator". Does he wish to leave it and go collect those items?

10/18/2020 10:10 am  #3258

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

The cleric is already upon the "elevator". Does he wish to leave it and go collect those items?

Okay, Gundrabu will step off the elevator to go get his items.

Incidentally, I thought Gundrabu was still in a canoe. Has the water drained so much as to make this impossible?

10/18/2020 11:14 am  #3259

Eirvit wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

Okay, Gundrabu will step off the elevator to go get his items.

Incidentally, I thought Gundrabu was still in a canoe. Has the water drained so much as to make this impossible?

No.
Gundrabu crashed onto the slab in his effort to grab a second canoe and free it. This dumped Kondor's pack, the lighted lamp and the cleric out onto the slab.   The lamp bounced along toward the far edge and the cleric crawled after it.  Then the Kraken helped the non-dextrous Esquimeaux grab it from falling into the wet muck just in time!

10/18/2020 11:16 am  #3260

Kondor puts the packs on the elevator, then looks around to see if there's anything they left behind. If he sees the weapon and crampons, he'll grab them and pass them to Gundrabu.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.