!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/09/2020 12:00 am  #1

Atlantean Amphibiousness

Can Atlanteans "breathe water" in the same way as say; a fish? or are they amphibious in a more limited way? I'm fairly sure of my own answer, based on the wording of the text, but it has been a point of contention for my group. Figured it best to ask here.

"We alone of all mankind, who are sorcerers of high attainment and mastery, may endure the lethal ice-change and become breathers of the airless void, and thus, in the end, be made suitable for the provender of such as Rlim Shaikorth." sounds great unless you know what Provender means.

8/09/2020 5:28 am  #2

Re: Atlantean Amphibiousness

It's intended to be limited, but ideally it's a decision made by you, the referee, with perhaps some input from your players. IMC, some Atlanteans have barely visible traits, whilst others are much more obvious; however, the more traits, the more routinely they must immerse themselves in water.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

8/09/2020 9:54 pm  #3

Personally, I would not allow an Atlantean PC to breathe water like a fish. I consider their condition a curse (or perhaps the result of some disastrous scientific endeavor by their ancestors), not a superpower.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

8/10/2020 3:41 am  #4

In my little world, there is two breeds of Atlanteans, one that suffer the effect with some slight discomfort and the other who have immersed themselves in water due to a magical effect from a rare substance that altered them; enhancing they ability; so this group can and must spend 90% of their time in water (this is more a monster/creature and not really for PCs).

8/10/2020 7:44 am  #5

Yeah, Atlanteans don't get to breathe underwater.

However, it was determined that they could identify fish-men and find them edible but not delicious.

Thank you Port Greely and the odd questions my players bring up.

What? Me worry?

8/10/2020 11:43 am  #6

Thanks for the feedback-- very helpful.

"We alone of all mankind, who are sorcerers of high attainment and mastery, may endure the lethal ice-change and become breathers of the airless void, and thus, in the end, be made suitable for the provender of such as Rlim Shaikorth." sounds great unless you know what Provender means.

8/15/2020 7:49 pm  #7

We resolve this issue when we have our first Atlantean PC, a recessive genetic adaptation to low metablism and mioglobine usage (meaning an interracial offspring would never develop that ability hence the "reproductive incompatibility"), just like most of amphibious mammals, and we have an earthly tribe developing those traits, the Sea Nomads in Polinesia.. In game terms, they got a +8% to CN checks when swimming and 2x time underwater. All other rules about swimming and drowning apply.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.