!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/25/2020 8:55 pm  #3001

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

That’s no choice at all! I choose...

Swim! 😀

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

7/25/2020 8:57 pm  #3002

The laden backpack sinks as Gundrabu casts it aside and swims blindly on into the stinking darkness!

7/26/2020 6:52 pm  #3003

Kondor continues following in the wake of the other, hopeful that he will be able to get more of his head above the muck soon.

ooc: I recall Kondor being something like 6'5" in my mind, or taller; like a real Wulgar type. Would only his nose be above the surface?

7/26/2020 7:20 pm  #3004

Yes, that's it exactly. The poor esquimeaux must be drowning!

Suddenly Kondor bumps into a hard object about waist high. It moves.

7/27/2020 5:48 pm  #3005

Iron Ranger wrote:

Yes, that's it exactly. The poor esquimeaux must be drowning!

Suddenly Kondor bumps into a hard object about waist high. It moves.

He pauses a moment, to see if it's some beast; then he moves through it, as it's likely too small to be Gundrabu.

ooc: we're in the s*** this time, eh?

7/27/2020 8:03 pm  #3006

It is a backpack.

7/28/2020 8:16 pm  #3007

It's full of items.

7/29/2020 10:20 am  #3008

Gundrabu smacks into a stone wall.

7/29/2020 10:49 am  #3009

Iron Ranger wrote:

It's full of items.

Kondor considers their situation and attempts to get a hand on the backpack - their survival could be at stake! - but he won't want to drown in feces to do it. Escape is his first priority.

7/29/2020 12:37 pm  #3010

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

It's full of items.

Kondor considers their situation and attempts to get a hand on the backpack - their survival could be at stake! - but he won't want to drown in feces to do it. Escape is his first priority.

The backpack is at his fingertips. The sludge is easy to move through in this wake. and his face is above the filth, his tiptoes are on hard surface below him.

7/29/2020 6:22 pm  #3011

Gundrabu explores the stone wall, seeking a way out or up. If you want a direction, I try right, first.

7/29/2020 6:31 pm  #3012

How far do you go right?

7/30/2020 10:43 am  #3013

I just keep on going. I assume Kondor can hear my movements in this space. If I ever stop hearing him, I stop, holding onto the rock wall for support, then continue. If ever I tire, I likewise hold onto the rock wall, until I have regained my breath.

7/30/2020 11:14 am  #3014

Understood, Gundrabu moves right in the dark. The stone wall is jagged.
10' 20', 30' ... hanging on the wall without touching bottom is tiring. He rests.

7/30/2020 7:42 pm  #3015

Another thing that Gundrabu is looking for is the “best” wall surface for climbing with aid of his crampons, though, with how “strong” Gundrabu is and all, he’s probably better off giving them to Kondor to try. 😁

7/30/2020 7:46 pm  #3016

It's so hard for Gundrabu to get a good idea in the dark. The wall is rough, not footholds and finger crevices rough, but in a few more turns of exhaustion, might just be rough enough!

8/03/2020 10:17 am  #3017

Kondor continues to follow the path of Gundrabu, certain that's the way to go. If he reaches him, and the wall, Kondor will hand over the backpack before attempting to climb - a barbarian's climbing being natural to him, moreso than any other upon Hyperborea.

8/04/2020 8:34 am  #3018

Kondor reaches the wall just left and out of reach of the panting from Gundrabu. The stone face is rough and the Barbarian's instinct is to climb. But the backpack prohibits. 

8/04/2020 8:52 am  #3019

Kondor lets go of the backpack and climbs out of the muck.

8/04/2020 10:36 pm  #3020

The newfound backpack sinks into the muck and Kondor begins to climb the stoneface.

[Since he is in complete darkness, even the most climbing-skilled lightly armored or unarmored barbarian would be delayed in having to search by hand for grabholds rather than pre-spot them by his keen eyesight - therefore, Kondor's chances in his medium armor as a similarly leveled thief are reduced by 4 --  4 of 12 first, followed by a successful STR roll to hang on during the blind searching.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.