!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/30/2019 11:21 am  #1

Bone Tomahawk

While a western, this movie could easily be adapted to the ASSH setting.

Basic premise is that there is a group of Native Americans who are  are shunned and reviled by all other Native American tribes living near them due to unholy practices. The nasty bunch raid a nearby town of settlers taking a hostage and horses. Some town folk ride after them and discover why the tribe is shunned.

Kurt Russel stars as the town sheriff which is a role that suits him well given the other westerns he has done.

12/30/2019 1:41 pm  #2

Re: Bone Tomahawk

Sounds a little like one of REH's horror yarns!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

12/30/2019 3:44 pm  #3

It certainly has a REH western vibe to it. Probably why I liked it.

12/30/2019 4:09 pm  #4

Fantastic flick, agreed. Slow burn western/horror.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

2/27/2020 11:19 pm  #5

Just watched this tonight.  Pretty awesome and I don't even like Westerns.  But the premise is perfect for AS&SH.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

6/24/2020 7:11 pm  #6

Watched this again! Great flick.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

6/25/2020 6:06 am  #7

Chainsaw wrote:

Watched this again! Great flick.

Weird stuff! I enjoyed this as much the second time.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

6/25/2020 3:18 pm  #8

I need to watch it a second time. Loved it.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

6/25/2020 5:29 pm  #9

I think westerns, especially the ultra-violent Italian westerns, are great fodder for games like AS&SH. The setting is a vast, lawless frontier, the settlements are rarely bigger than a town or village on the brink, and the protagonists are usually self-interested, grey-ethic wanderers. The heroes of one town may be wanted men a few miles away. Just like your typical adventuring party.
You need a quick plot for an adventure, here's a database to choose from:
https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Browse_all

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

6/25/2020 7:39 pm  #10

If that tribe isn't direct descendants of Vhuurmis then I'm in the wrong game!!!

1/17/2024 7:39 pm  #11

i love this movie. ill have to watch it again soon. 

2/20/2024 3:50 pm  #12

Fun and absolutely brutal. Exactly how I would imagine the Picts of Beyond Black River and The Black Stranger to be.

Take a Ook Into A Book.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.