!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/11/2020 3:18 pm  #1

Reversing Petrifaction

This came up in my last session. Currently running my players through Charnel Crypt and the berserker in the party failed a save vs. transformation and was turned to stone. I did a quick search during the session and found casting Stone to Flesh will allow a person to be restored, but wanted to see if there are any other methods that could be used.

Another party member asked if the transformation was caused by magic and whether a Dispel Magic spell would reverse the change and I wasn't really sure what to tell them. For the sake of continuing the session, I allowed it, as it was early and it would have left the petrified player twiddling their thumbs for the rest of the evening. I did let my players know that I wasn't sure and would allow it this time around but would come back with a final decision later.

At the end of the day, I know it's whatever I choose to allow, but wanted to see what other people's thoughts were on this since I wasn't able to find anything else on the subject.

"You're in big trouble though, pal. I eat pieces of sh!t like you for breakfast!"

5/11/2020 5:32 pm  #2

Re: Reversing Petrifaction

I wouldn't rule that petrification by a monster could be countered by a Dispel Magic. Maybe if it happened from a Flesh to Stone spell.

However, I would agree that you go forward with your ruling for that session but note going forward that it wouldn't be viable in future sessions.

Unless you want to allow Dispel Magic as a way to reverse petrification that is.

What? Me worry?

5/11/2020 7:25 pm  #3

I don't think that strictly by-the-book Dispel Magic is capable of reversing non-spell-induced petrifaction.
However, it is certainly plausible that the nearest city or private library contains information about ingredients that an alchemist could use to concoct a Stone to Flesh potion - at least that's the route I would go personally.

5/12/2020 1:04 am  #4

Hyperborea is a very chaotic place. Just because it worked once, doesn't mean it will work next time.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

5/12/2020 5:14 am  #5

RAW I would not allow it: a monster's special ability shouldn't be dispellable by Dispel Magic, which counters sorcery. But I frequently rule as you did: keep the game moving, revist the rules in between sessions. And who's to say the dispel won't wear off after a time? Sorcery can be chaotic...

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

5/12/2020 6:18 am  #6

Thanks for the replies! I was airing on the side of not allowing dispel magic to work again since the transformation isn't magical in nature, but just wanted to keep the game moving.

I do really like the idea that it could wear off or actually did work but might not in the future.

"You're in big trouble though, pal. I eat pieces of sh!t like you for breakfast!"

5/12/2020 11:27 am  #7

Given the situation as you explained it, the PC was stoned early in the night, I would have made the same call for the same reason unless there was a competent henchman for the player to run.

What you have now, is a great opportunity for a follow-on adventure; have the characters realize that the dispel magic solution is very temporary (say a month at best) and now they need to find a permanent solution (a proper stone-to-flesh spell, potion, scroll, etc.).

Last edited by tomas (5/12/2020 11:27 am)

5/13/2020 8:31 am  #8

tomas wrote:

Given the situation as you explained it, the PC was stoned early in the night, I would have made the same call for the same reason unless there was a competent henchman for the player to run.

What you have now, is a great opportunity for a follow-on adventure; have the characters realize that the dispel magic solution is very temporary (say a month at best) and now they need to find a permanent solution (a proper stone-to-flesh spell, potion, scroll, etc.).

I like the temporary effect idea. Things get to move on and an adventure is generated. It also sets up the notion that nothing is locked in stone (no pun intended) and sorcery is not predictable.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

5/13/2020 6:48 pm  #9

The temporary nature of the Dispel Magic is a splendid idea! Creates an internally generated follow-on adventure in which the PCs have had a hand in crating and have motivation to see through. (I had a similar situation when my wife’s thief character caught mummy rot in an encounter in an ancient desert tomb.  The clock was ticking and they ended up raiding a temple for a scroll rumoured to contain the necessary incantation [Cure Disease])....

5/14/2020 12:50 pm  #10

ScooterMcGavin wrote:

This came up in my last session. Currently running my players through Charnel Crypt and the berserker in the party failed a save vs. transformation and was turned to stone. I did a quick search during the session and found casting Stone to Flesh will allow a person to be restored, but wanted to see if there are any other methods that could be used.

Another party member asked if the transformation was caused by magic and whether a Dispel Magic spell would reverse the change and I wasn't really sure what to tell them. For the sake of continuing the session, I allowed it, as it was early and it would have left the petrified player twiddling their thumbs for the rest of the evening. I did let my players know that I wasn't sure and would allow it this time around but would come back with a final decision later.

At the end of the day, I know it's whatever I choose to allow, but wanted to see what other people's thoughts were on this since I wasn't able to find anything else on the subject.

I would have looked at it like this. The act of Petrification may take a full round or more to complete. If a character casts a Dispell Magic "during" the transformation, I'd give it a chance to dispel the process, but significant amounts of damage may have been taken during the transformation. Once the transformation was complete, I'd go with only a stone to flesh spell would do to return them to normal.

That is just my opinion though. The world is yours, you make the rules/decisions as you wish...

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

5/20/2020 10:19 pm  #11

Me, well, I'm more of the you pays your money, you takes your chances school.

But I did want to say that once my players ended up using stone shape on a petrified character who had fallen and smashed. They had to put him back together before using flesh to stone ... and they made a few minor modifications along the way. And that's how Mike Hunt the bard became known as "Old Chin Balls."

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.