!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/27/2020 11:48 pm  #1

Color Out of Space

For those of you who haven't seen the brand new "Color Out of Space" adaptation starring Nicolas Cage, it's worth checking out.  They set it in the present, but it has a good vibe that is true to the story.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

3/04/2020 7:08 am  #2

Re: Color Out of Space

Thanks! I'd noticed it and was wondering. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

3/04/2020 9:15 am  #3

Heard a cut off the soundtrack on the radio last night. Wild stuff!

https://www.wfmu.org/listen.m3u?show=91783&archive=183592&starttime=0:19:32

3/04/2020 9:52 am  #4

Cage does his usual stuff at a couple points in the movie.
Overall pretty decent; definitely better than that mess starring Will Wheaton.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

3/04/2020 1:31 pm  #5

If you've seen the 2010 German version: how do they compare?

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

3/04/2020 3:49 pm  #6

I have it coming in from Netflix (DVD not streamable). looking forward to it...

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

3/05/2020 1:49 am  #7

rhialto wrote:

I thought the German movie was better.

However, this one is not bad. It's not a garbage fire like the Wicker Man remake or some of Cage's other movies.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

3/05/2020 4:56 am  #8

Blackadder23 wrote:

rhialto wrote:

However, this one is not bad. It's not a garbage fire like the Wicker Man remake or some of Cage's other movies.

Thanks, that's helpful: sounds good enough to watch if free.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

3/05/2020 7:00 pm  #9

rhialto wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

rhialto wrote:

Thanks, that's helpful: sounds good enough to watch if free.

It's one of the few movies I have watched that I cannot decide whether or not I liked it.  I could defend liking or hating with equal passion. At the end of the day I guess I was glad I watched.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/05/2020 9:57 pm  #10

Yeah, I saw a few reviews that really talked it up.  It wasn't that good, but it was far better than most HPL film adaptations (a low bar, I know), and did a competent job of capturing the cosmic horror weirdness vibe IMHO.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

4/18/2020 10:34 am  #11

I finally got to see the movie the other day and wasn't impressed. But then again I'm hard pressed to come up with any HPL story to movie that I liked.

4/18/2020 3:30 pm  #12

tomas wrote:

I finally got to see the movie the other day and wasn't impressed. But then again I'm hard pressed to come up with any HPL story to movie that I liked.

They are few and far between, unfortunately.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.