!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/01/2019 11:05 pm  #1

Maps of Mount Vhuurmithadon?

Hey Everyone--

I'm going to be using Mount Vhuurmithadon as one of the settings for my Dark Treasury campaign and I was curious if anyone had done maps for it that they might be willing to share?  I sometimes make my own maps and I often re-purpose them from published adventures or online sources.  For Vhuurmithadon, I was thinking of basing it on either Gundabad or Dol Guldur from the old MERP game, both of which have pretty cool maps that I think could be tweaked to suit the setting.  But I was curious if others had already mapped it.  I know Jeff referenced a mega-dungeon he was working on there, but I fully understand if he's not willing to share his vision with the general public.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

12/02/2019 1:08 pm  #2

Re: Maps of Mount Vhuurmithadon?

Yeah, I'm a long ways away from sharing any of that info, so you'll have to make it your own or collaborate with some of the other fine referees here!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

12/04/2019 4:21 pm  #3

Ghul wrote:

Yeah, I'm a long ways away from sharing any of that info, so you'll have to make it your own or collaborate with some of the other fine referees here!

Only because it is full of gnomes!! He just doesn't want to break it to the rest of you....

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

1/05/2020 1:18 am  #4

After going home to Mississippi over the holidays and consulting my vast MERP collection, I think I'm going to re-purpose the maps of Gundabad for Vhuurmithadon.  Should be a pretty easy conversion, swapping out the orcs for vhuurmis and adding some more AS&SH monsters.  The old MERP adventures often have very cool maps.  For example, I used Orthanc for Mephistopheles' citadel in Hell.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

1/07/2020 6:58 am  #5

mavfire wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Only because it is full of gnomes!! He just doesn't want to break it to the rest of you....

Gnomes with lazer guns... 

1/07/2020 8:23 am  #6

Spider of Leng wrote:

After going home to Mississippi over the holidays and consulting my vast MERP collection, I think I'm going to re-purpose the maps of Gundabad for Vhuurmithadon.  Should be a pretty easy conversion, swapping out the orcs for vhuurmis and adding some more AS&SH monsters.  The old MERP adventures often have very cool maps.  For example, I used Orthanc for Mephistopheles' citadel in Hell.

Yes, the MERP products BITD were quite good, and I adapted them to AD&D regularly.  In fact the Greyhawk campaign that I'm laying groundwork for in order to launch at month-end will leverage a decent chunk of the Court of Ardor module (one of my favorites!). 

Allan.

1/07/2020 10:16 pm  #7

Yeah, they really stretched things beyond the canon with Ardor and such, but I always found that a strength.  We embraced playing the mid 3rd Age rather than in the time covered by the books because it allowed for a lot more freedom of action.  In my opinion, the more recent iterations of Middle Earth RPGs try to slavishly reproduce the books/movies way too much.  I want to game in Middle Earth, not rehash the Lord of the Rings.

1/08/2020 10:14 am  #8

Spider of Leng wrote:

Yeah, they really stretched things beyond the canon with Ardor and such, but I always found that a strength.  We embraced playing the mid 3rd Age rather than in the time covered by the books because it allowed for a lot more freedom of action.  In my opinion, the more recent iterations of Middle Earth RPGs try to slavishly reproduce the books/movies way too much.  I want to game in Middle Earth, not rehash the Lord of the Rings.

Agreed completely:  I prefer First and Second Age to Third, but I agree that the allure of ME isn't in the War of the Ring (or the Silmarils, for that matter!), but in exploring the rest of the setting.

Allan.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.