!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/08/2019 9:17 am  #1

Fiend Folio

I find myself gravitating toward this classic, but I keep going back to straight ASSH. It’s as evocative as I need it to be. Anyone else using the Fiend Folio?

Thanks,
VR/Scott

11/08/2019 9:49 am  #2

Re: Fiend Folio

I do refer to the FF when comparing creatures and in my endeavours to create some AS&SH encounters I want in my development of Hyperborea, but I have not duplicate any creature from FF as yet. Also from its source; the White Dwarf magazine has some unmentioned in FF which I still over the years refer to.

11/08/2019 2:22 pm  #3

I used Frost Men and Ice Trolls straight out of FF in one of my AS&SH adventures.

11/08/2019 7:20 pm  #4

I'm using it in my campaign right now, actually. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

11/09/2019 3:52 pm  #5

Yeah; I still use pretty much all my 1st and 2nd edition resources, plus Swords & Wizardry & Labyrinth Lord stuff.  It's all pretty compatible, which is what makes the system great.  For extra flavor/variety I'll often draw spells from alternate lists or sources to keep players on their toes.  For example, as they were transitioning to 3rd edition TSR/WOTC put out a supplement derived from the Diablo game with everything statted out for 1st/2nd edition.  There's a necromancer class in there with some pretty cool spells that I often use for NPCs.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

11/20/2019 1:33 pm  #6

The FF has some GREAT new monsters for 1981, and is 99% awesome.  Then it has the Flumph,  which is definitely not awesome, but serves as a reminder to not take the game too seriously.

"AS&SH feels like late 70’s fantasy roleplaying from a parallel dimension where Frodo was unceremoniously slain by Conan." - rpg.net review

12/04/2019 4:19 pm  #7

I am using some of the fiend folio for an adventure I am writing as well. Great resource, I always look to make sure it fits my vision for what Jeff's world is, and tweak it as necessary. 

Besides, you cannot beat the fact that over half the creatures are illustrated by Russ!

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

12/04/2019 8:54 pm  #8

mavfire wrote:

Besides, you cannot beat the fact that over half the creatures are illustrated by Russ!

Agree completely.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

1/23/2022 9:54 am  #9

Spider of Leng wrote:

Yeah; I still use pretty much all my 1st and 2nd edition resources, plus Swords & Wizardry & Labyrinth Lord stuff.  It's all pretty compatible, which is what makes the system great.  For extra flavor/variety I'll often draw spells from alternate lists or sources to keep players on their toes.  For example, as they were transitioning to 3rd edition TSR/WOTC put out a supplement derived from the Diablo game with everything statted out for 1st/2nd edition.  There's a necromancer class in there with some pretty cool spells that I often use for NPCs.

I use a couple spells from the wizard spell compendiums. my favorite is "gemidines paralytic missile" which ive made a rare illusionist spell of 2nd level. When cast, a green bolt of pure magical energy shot forth from the tip of the caster's finger. It streaked towards its intended target and always struck true, provided at least part of their body was visible to the caster. The effective range of this spell was well over 120'. When a person or creature was struck by a paralytic missile, they were immobilized for a number of seconds, or longer depending on the skill and experience of the caster.

basically, a hold person that can chase you around corners.

Last edited by Master Magician Rennalds (1/23/2022 9:55 am)

"We alone of all mankind, who are sorcerers of high attainment and mastery, may endure the lethal ice-change and become breathers of the airless void, and thus, in the end, be made suitable for the provender of such as Rlim Shaikorth." sounds great unless you know what Provender means.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.