!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/30/2019 12:11 pm  #1

Return of the Manticore(s)

So I'm in the process of writing my Dark Treasury AS&SH/Labyrinth Lord cross-over campaign and thought I'd share this musically inspired encounter.  The adventure itself, as described elsewhere on this board, is essentially a sandbox style fetch quest.  So to provide some connections between the main encounter locations, I'm creating a mass campaign random encounter chart that includes random encounters, natural and unnatural weather events, clues, helpful NPC interactions, appearances by the various factions in the campaign, and mini side quests.  Like many of you, I often incorporate pop culture, especially musical, references into my game.  This is one of the latter, tied to a side quest.

A small, remote village has been plagued for time by a pair of manticores.  So along come a trio of rather snobbish bards, Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, by name.  They assure the locals that they can drive the beasts away.  After securing a hefty advance on their hefty fee, they proceed to go to the monsters' lair.  They then perform a long and enormously complex musical ballad, full of references to pirates, and ancient witches, and cities and places no one has heard of, augmented with dancing lights, walls of fog, etc.  Sure enough, the manticores are driven off.  The trio collects the remainder of their hefty sum and departs.

A few months later, however, the manticores return and they are more cruel and violent than ever.  This is around the time when the PCs show up....

P.S.--I actually like ELP for the most part, but this idea just came to me last night when browsing old rock videos on youtube.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

10/31/2019 10:03 pm  #2

Re: Return of the Manticore(s)

ELP immediately came to mind when I read the post subject

Allan.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.