!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/23/2014 7:52 am  #1

Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes

Coming this year from North Wind Adventures, following a new Kickstarter campaign!

Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes

An adventure in HYPERBOREA designed for 4–6 characters of 2nd through 4th level

Text: Jeff Talanian
Cover Art: Charles Lang
Interior Illustrations: Johnathan Bingham
Editing: David Prata
Cartography: Andreas Claren

Somewhere in the depths of the Diamond Desert lie the skeletal remains of Ymir's Serpent, a legendary Viking longship. In days of yore, Sigtrygg Forkbeard led his company upriver, piercing the desert's hostile heart. There the Vikings unearthed a lost mine brimming with green diamonds, but as the Serpent prepared for departure, the river went dry and the ship was swallowed by the dunes. Forkbeard and company were never to be seen again, but tales of a shimmering Viking ghost ship gliding over the dunes persist to this day.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/23/2014 8:26 am  #2

Re: Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes

Absolutley fantastic. Vikings in the desert = mind-blowing. Ghul, you're stealing my money, man.

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

4/23/2014 8:45 am  #3

So, when will I be able to pledge for this on Kickstarter?

4/23/2014 9:56 am  #4

Cool! Looking forward to playing or running it one day.

Love the cover art. Any chance small, signed copies on canvas might be possible as an upper level pledge? Mythmere did that for the Erol Otus cover of S&W Complete and it came out really well. I think he did something sized smaller than 8.5x11, but I could be wrong. Maybe it would be too expensive, I don't know. Also, what about the original as a top tier pledge?

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/23/2014 12:03 pm  #5

That cover painting is fantastic. Really hits all the notes.

4/23/2014 12:26 pm  #6

Been waiting for this one for a while now, totally stoked! As a side note; I always thought of the Hyperborean night sky having far fewer stars. Really liking the level range of this one!

4/23/2014 2:46 pm  #7

Chainsaw wrote:

Love the cover art. Any chance small, signed copies on canvas might be possible as an upper level pledge? Mythmere did that for the Erol Otus cover of S&W Complete and it came out really well. I think he did something sized smaller than 8.5x11, but I could be wrong. Maybe it would be too expensive, I don't know. Also, what about the original as a top tier pledge?

I'll have to take a look at the KS campaign (S&W Complete) and see what they did. It seems like a great idea.

As far as Chuck selling the original as a top tier pledge item -- I've mentioned it to him, and he's mulling it over. I know he likes to exhibit his original art at shows and galleries, so he might not want to do it. I'm not sure...

4/23/2014 3:13 pm  #8

Cool, thanks!

4/23/2014 5:14 pm  #9

Ghul, any sense of when it might actually ship? Just wondering if it will happen while my group is in that level range. (Unless they were all to die somehow . . .)

4/23/2014 5:24 pm  #10

Handy Haversack wrote:

Ghul, any sense of when it might actually ship? Just wondering if it will happen while my group is in that level range. (Unless they were all to die somehow . . .)

Hard to predict. I won't launch the Kickstarter until all writing, editing, and art are done. When the KS campaign launches, I want only layout and printing in front of me.

4/23/2014 9:31 pm  #11

Chainsaw wrote:

I think copies of the cover art on canvas would be awesome! The S&W Complete Kickstarter had them as a bonus for one of the upper pledge levels as well as an add-on item for sale at lower pledge levels. And they were indeed 8.5x11.

4/23/2014 9:56 pm  #12

capitalbill wrote:

I think copies of the cover art on canvas would be awesome! The S&W Complete Kickstarter had them as a bonus for one of the upper pledge levels as well as an add-on item for sale at lower pledge levels. And they were indeed 8.5x11.

Thanks, Bill. I couldn't quite remember the specifics.

4/23/2014 10:00 pm  #13

Chainsaw wrote:

Thanks, Bill. I couldn't quite remember the specifics.

No problem, just measured the picture on my wall!

4/23/2014 10:12 pm  #14

A very suitable cover for this fine adventure, Jeff!  :D

Allan.

4/24/2014 6:24 am  #15

grodog wrote:

A very suitable cover for this fine adventure, Jeff!  :D

Allan.

Thanks! The artist informs me that this is just a "study," and that the real painting is soon to come!

4/24/2014 9:25 am  #16

Ghul wrote:

Thanks! The artist informs me that this is just a "study," and that the real painting is soon to come!

Whoa, I thought this was the finished painting! Judging by how nice this study is, the cover will be awesome!

5/27/2014 12:03 pm  #17

The Ymir's Serpent beckons! Any ballpark date in mind for the kickstarter for this one?

5/27/2014 12:54 pm  #18

Agricola wrote:

The Ymir's Serpent beckons! Any ballpark date in mind for the kickstarter for this one?

Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes: Cover art is in, putting final touches on writing. Interior art soon underway.
Beneath the Comet: Writing is done, editing is done. Interior art is underway. Cover not started yet
Lemurian Remnant: Writing is done, content editing underway. Interior art and cover not started yet.

That's where we stand on all three at the moment. Not ready to set an exact date until everything is in -- all writing, editing, and art. When I'm ready to start layout, then I will begin the Kickstarter. I want all the big stuff in first. Thanks for your continued interest!

5/28/2014 12:55 pm  #19

Thanks for the update Jeff!

5/28/2014 6:26 pm  #20

I'm looking forward to these!  Thanks for the update.  Hope I have an update of my own for you soon!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.