!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2014 3:28 pm  #1

AS&SH And Arduin

So it seems to me that if you have any of the old Arduin books that they mesh well with AS&SH.  The monsters are a little over the top in some (many) cases but the ideas mesh well with a gritty swords and high tech setting.  Many of the ideas in all those little books brought hours of both pleasure and pain to the groups I ran through my D&D adventures. I am lucky to still have all of them as well as the D&D whitebox and addons.

Aaronhd

4/10/2014 4:07 am  #2

Re: AS&SH And Arduin

This is an interesting observation. I think that Arduin can work well with any of the "old school" style games, and AS&SH clearly fits that criteria in my mind. Personally, I don't use Arduin much in OD&D, but that's a preference thing and not a "will the rules fit" thing.

Marv / Finarvyn
DCC playtester (2011), S&W WhiteBox Author (2009), C&C playtester (2003), Metamorphosis Alpha since 1976. OD&D Player since 1975

4/22/2014 4:12 am  #3

Hi Finarvyn:

Sorry I did not get back to you, life intruded. Yes Arduin can work well, in last weeks game my players went up against an Horragus (Elder Beast) dumbed down of course but a real test for a party of 3rd and 4th level. They defeated it by using their brains first and then their brawn. I have pretty much always used the books to impart a certain flavor to my world. From the exotic drinks to the street gangs it's the little things that help make a world more alive.  Aaron

4/25/2014 7:22 am  #4

Aaronhd wrote:

Hi Finarvyn:

Sorry I did not get back to you, life intruded. Yes Arduin can work well, in last weeks game my players went up against an Horragus (Elder Beast) dumbed down of course but a real test for a party of 3rd and 4th level. They defeated it by using their brains first and then their brawn. I have pretty much always used the books to impart a certain flavor to my world. From the exotic drinks to the street gangs it's the little things that help make a world more alive.  Aaron

The books are so off the wall and ecclectic that they do help with the flavor of a game and campaign.  Dave was a bright guy and would have been fun to game with  I think.

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/25/2014 7:09 pm  #5

The thing for me is that I must be a really boring person because I don't tend to think in a wacky gonzo way, so when I read Arduin I think "huh, well I would never have done it that way" but I marvel at the creativity that led him to come up with that stuff. Arduin was very creative.

Marv / Finarvyn
DCC playtester (2011), S&W WhiteBox Author (2009), C&C playtester (2003), Metamorphosis Alpha since 1976. OD&D Player since 1975

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.