!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/17/2019 9:31 am  #21

Re: Nightfall

lige wrote:

One containing a letter describing the gate that had been dismantled earlier accompanied by a map purporting to show the way to a wizards base of operation within a land of reptiles know as Torth, a second containing a magic user scroll and a letter imploring the finder to revenge the writer (apparently the wizard who had lived here) by slaying a traitorous apprentice named Praxigoras who had entombed him (promising an unspecified reward from the other side), and a third with two blank pieces of paper.

Still known to my players as "Dink Planet"! Also, trust me, BigPerm has never let me forget that at one point the druid tried to cast entangle and there were no plants nearby on this jungle planet.

Also, practice your headbanging and air-guitar licks for their first foray to Metal City!!

Great read, Lige. I like, too, that Nightfall is accompanied by the Hyperborean equivalent of a timeshare in Florida.

1/29/2019 3:19 pm  #22

Thanks for the kind words ghul, chainsaw and Handy!   The stars were right last week and we played another session.  I'll be posting a recap soon.   

@Handy That sounds like BigPerm!  Speaking of memories of "Dink Planet" last week in my other (AD&D) campaign, in reaction to their current in-game predicament, Jeff said "I miss Torth. You really knew where you stood on Torth."  

1/29/2019 4:49 pm  #23

lige wrote:

Thanks for the kind words ghul, chainsaw and Handy!   The stars were right last week and we played another session.  I'll be posting a recap soon.   

@Handy That sounds like BigPerm!  Speaking of memories of "Dink Planet" last week in my other (AD&D) campaign, in reaction to their current in-game predicament, Jeff said "I miss Torth. You really knew where you stood on Torth."  

Players. They always want the planet they're not on.

3/20/2019 11:42 pm  #24

Finally getting back to the recaps - hopefully I haven't forgotten too many of the details.   We were down a couple of players from last session but Von the Unyieldings player showed up.  Those not present either had gone ahead or stayed behind to guard the gate.  I don't know if any of my players read these (I've sent them links) but if they do I've put a few of my comments in spoiler tags.

Session 5:  Footsteps on Torth
wind – Zambrosia, Keltic Cleric (Level 2)
gabe – Venicius, Keltic Grocer (Assassin) (Level 2)
mike – Ole Oleson, Viking Fighter (Level 2)
terry – Sparky, Keltic Pyromancer (Level 2)
rob - Von the Unyielding, Kimmerian Cataphract (Level 2)

The party started by taking stock of the new information they had gathered.  The letter and map of Torth and the entreaty for revenge by the long dead wizard.   Looking at the blank parchment through the crystal recovered from the ancient ghoul Zambrosia could see writing and found that they were actually two letters.  One letter imploring the finder to deliver the other letter (written in a strange script) to unknown personages with directions to their location.  These directions were to walk three days from the castle with ones back to the sea and at that point they would discover a warm stream and follow it to its head.  At the head the bearer would then chant the following phrase thrice  "oonamai amaioon" and rewards and revenge would naturally follow. 

This location was not beyond the gate.  I was sure the directions were clear (I used the sea and the castle the party were in as landmarks) but I was wrong and they immediately conflated it with the land beyond the gate.  No matter how many hints I dropped!

Deciding fortune and possibly a reward would be found beyond the gate the party eagerly set forth.  Strangely TPK, who had stepped through previously, was gone.  They discovered the gate on the other side was a much larger structure.  The land beyond the gate was very different than Hyperborea.  There was orange vegetation, a purple sky and, strangest of all, a strong sun high in the sky.   It was also hot and humid.  A cart track led away from the gate.  After looking at their map the party decided that the track might lead to the river shown on their map and so they set out.  Von the Unyielding leading the way upon his reindeer Elkor. The party had only gone a couple of miles before they were beset by small winged, lizard creatures bearing spears.  After a short battle they fought off the creatures with little injury but began to watch the skies more carefully.  The party journeyed on for a few more hours until the sun set.  They continued on into the night as the land was lit by two large moons.  After another hour they spied some sort of settlement - the cart tracks leading directly to this.  Von was persuaded to scout ahead upon his reindeer.  Cantering closer he spied a ring of mudbrick buildings surrounding an open area with a 100' tall wooden tower  in the center.  A few lizardmen looked to be guarding the place from the roof tops.

After returning the party decided to give the settlement a wide berth and continued on until they found a place to camp.  After a restless night of strange noises they marched on until they found another cart track that they followed to a large river.  At the end of the track was a small dock.  Investigating they were ambushed by several lizardmen hiding in the water.  After a fierce battle the party prevailed and decided to rest up.  An argument was made about boiling the water before drinking that led to some boiling and the others drinking directly from the river.  The party then decided that this might be the stream mentioned  in the second note it wasn't though they had found no castle and no sea.  With this knowledge in mind they decided to follow it to its headwaters and journeyed upstream.   A ways upstream the party heard loud crashing in the brush atop the riverbank  as they were attacked by a vast reptilian beast.  Immediately Ole and Von set their spears to meet the charging creature.   A successful strategy as Ole found the right place to hit the big lizard (rolled a 20 with a x2 damage crit with the x2 for set for charge ).  The beast was not able to land a telling blow (3 out of 2d12 possible was its only damage) before the swarming party finished it off.   The party celebrated by carving up the creature and having a riverfront barbecue. 

After this they journeyed on further until they found a defensible place to spend the night.   They did see one odd thing.  Something that appeared to be some sort of flying barge with sails.  It was flying roughly 500' above the ground towards the settlement the party had passed by. After another uneventful night the party found that they were feeling pretty sick.   Elkor the reindeer was very hungry and Von had to give him rations as he was unable to eat the local vegetation.  The party then spent much of the morning looking for something for him to eat but were unsuccessful.  They traveled onward and at one point saw a strange small humanoid creature was following them.  It was about 3' tall and red in color.  It had two horns and what appeared to be a ruff around his neck.  The party tried to speak to the creature but at their attempts to communicate it ran away and hid.   

The party kept on their journey and late in the day they noticed a square stone building across the river.  They spent some time making a raft and headed across the river.  On the other side they got a little closer to the building and found numerous heads on stakes around the building.  These were heads of all sorts:  human, lizardmen, some variety of lizard men with a large domed skull, and humanoids and giants with all manner of horns and crests.  The party convinced Veniscius to scout the building and inside he discovered a sleeping scaled, one horned giant.   He debated on whether or not to try to assassinate the sleeping creature and decided against it.  He returned to the party and they discussed their options.  

Last edited by lige (3/20/2019 11:44 pm)

3/31/2019 11:19 pm  #25

Looking forward to the next session, Eli!

It's always fun trying to see where/how players interpret clues, maps, riddles, and such, and what curious ways they get warped from my original intentions.  Good to see that your players are doing the same! :D

Allan.

4/01/2019 11:25 am  #26

We've discussed our shared love of Torsh and portals. Have you ever checked out Kefitzah Haderach? Not to be confused with Kyle MacLachlan.

http://lostpages.storenvy.com/products/1268228-kefitzah-haderech-incunabulum-of-the-uncanny-gates-and-portals-print-pd

4/02/2019 8:02 pm  #27

@grodog  - My favorite is when they decide something that is basically just window dressing  or a throwaway detail  is something to concentrate on.  There is usually a point there when I'll just go with it and develop whatever it is further.  

@Handy - that looks pretty great (from the reviews I've found) but it seems to have disappeared from the webstore.

4/03/2019 5:15 pm  #28

Really? Hmm. Let me talk to Paolo.

4/04/2019 9:02 am  #29

Talk is cheap!

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/120377/Kefitzah-Haderech--Incunabulum-of-the-Uncanny-Gates-and-Portals

Edit: 1700th post!

Last edited by Handy Haversack (4/04/2019 9:03 am)

4/04/2019 1:14 pm  #30

Thanks!  I'll check it out.

4/04/2019 3:27 pm  #31

One more recap - hopefully playing next week.   There were three players this time but they got into enough trouble for six.  They also got to use a couple of the magic items they had been given at character creation.  Again if any of my players are reading I've put some stuff that should stay behind the curtain in spoiler tags.   

Session 6:  A Daring Escape

The party again discussed whether or not to attack the sleeping giant in the stone house.  Reasoning that since Venicius had not seen anything that seemed of any value an attack could be danger for no game the party decided to move on.  At this point they informed me they had figured out my clues from last time  

they hadn't

and continued to follow the river upstream.  

After a couple of miles they noticed that a floating barge had begun to overtake them on trek upriver though it was still about a mile away.  As they looked they noticed several flying creatures leaving the craft.  These creatures flew towards the party.  The party then attempted to hide in the underbrush.  The creatures (small winged lizard men)  flew overhead but did not stop and returned to their craft.  Soon after the party saw a number of larger lizard men jump from the craft and float several hundred feet to the ground.  The party still kept to their hiding place.  After a short time several small lizard men scouts crashed through the brush and  stopped looking directly at the parties hiding place.  They were soon joined by ten more even larger lizard men.  Eight of which bore man sized bamboo cages upon their backs.  The creatures signaled for surrender and the party reluctantly left their hiding place.  At this point Ole challenged the leader to single combat and was somehow understood!  The enormous lizard man and the viking faced off but the creature made short work of the Norseman who was reduced to unconsciousness.  This action was spurred in part by his magic spear, Kurgann's Lance, which gives benefits to a character who defeats an opponent more powerful than themselves. At this point all the characters (save for Venicius and Vambrosia who were conveniently spirited away by Octavia) were divested of all metal armor, weapons and implements. Sparky retained his magic Eel Skin Gloves which would prove crucial later.  Von tried to conceal his dagger but was unsuccessful.  The entire party, including the unconscious Ole, were then put into the cages and carried, via ropes, aboard the barge.  

The barge was a flat structure about 200 feet long by 75' wide.  Lizard men sailors worked mighty sails while guards and hunters lounged about.  The party was confined to a small structure mid barge.  A vile potion was given to Ole and he returned to consciousness.  The party was not alone.  The small red humanoid they had seen earlier was confined with them.  He handed them a vial of red liquid and bade them to drink.  They did and soon the creature's babbling resolved as words and they learned they had imbibed the blood of the dragon giving them the ability to understand the speech of Torth.  The creature told them his name was Lutho and that he had once been human until the wizards of Old Neshfal, a human city, had performed experiments on him.  He said there were many more such failed experiments like himself in the wildlands.  He also told them that the lizardmen were taking them to be sold in the livestock market of Gnitrax - a lizardman city, Ole was healed because the lizardmen preferred their food live.   Outside their prison they could hear some of the guards wondering if they could eat just one of the prisoners if they sold the rest.  The need for escape was evident - but when? The party discussed whether to try to escape when they reached the city or earlier.  The fact that they were floating 500 feet in the air made the latter a daunting possibility.  From Lutho they learned that Gnitrax had thousands of inhabitants and that the bracelets worn by the guards on the barge were made of a substance called lift metal,  which was also used to make the barge float, that should allow the wearer of the bracelet to safely leap from the barge.  After learning this information they decided to escape mid flight.  After a days journery and a good deal of planning they waited until nightfall and called over one of the guards.  Sparky had meanwhile began charging his Eel Skin Gloves the gloves have an electric shock effect each round of rubbing hands together makes the charge (and damage increase) .  After making it understood that one of the valuable prisoners was sick the guard opened the door and Sparky grabbed him with his gloves completing the circuit and electrocuted the guard.   Meanwhile Lutho slipped outside to find the party's gear.  He tried to be stealthy but was discovered which caused an outcry.  Moving quickly the party divided up first taking out a second guard with the first guards weapon each character then took a bracelet.   Sparky created a diversion with a cloud of smoke and then set the sails afire with burning hands.   Ole ran to the champion who had defeated him earlier who was sleeping at the front of the barge.  He yanked his magic spear from the creatures hands and leapt over the side and indeed did float slowly to the ground.  He was followed by the champion.  Von grabbed his armor and leapt over the side with Lutho clinging to his neck.  He found himself plummeting but had the sense to drop his armor and began to float.  Sparky also grabbed a sack of some items and floated to the ground.  

On the ground Ole faced off a second time versus the lizardman champion.  He briefly considered single combat but in his weakened state he accepted Von's help and they managed to finish the creature off.  The other party members regathered and watched the barge float off into the distance illuminated by its burning sails. 

Not really my plan to split the party or to even have the party captured but I rolled with it.  Now I have to figure a way to rejoin the party (or not) when the other players can play again.

4/04/2019 7:16 pm  #32

lige wrote:

At this point Ole challenged the leader to single combat and was somehow understood!

Hahaha! Awesome. Stuff like this makes my day. Too bad he lost!

lige wrote:

Outside their prison they could hear some of the guards wondering if they could eat just one of the prisoners if they sold the rest.

Oh yeah! Nothing motivates an escape plan like knowing you're about become dinner.

lige wrote:

On the ground Ole faced off a second time versus the lizardman champion.  He briefly considered single combat but in his weakened state he accepted Von's help and they managed to finish the creature off.

Death before dishonor - wait a minute. Strike that, reverse it. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/05/2019 8:27 pm  #33

It's good stuff, Eli.  If you want to flip through a copy, we'll have them at NTX too.

Allan.

4/06/2019 12:28 am  #34

Makes me want to play Torsh all over again!

4/12/2019 12:16 am  #35

Chainsaw wrote:

lige wrote:

On the ground Ole faced off a second time versus the lizardman champion. He briefly considered single combat but in his weakened state he accepted Von's help and they managed to finish the creature off.

Death before dishonor - wait a minute. Strike that, reverse it.

He was pretty close too - he had the good idea to set his spear under the champion to catch him as he fell to the ground but that initial hit wasn't enough to take him out.

@Allan & Handy - Someday I'm going NXT!  It hasn't worked out so far for me - my wife teaches so early June is when we end up going on trips.  I'd love to get a hard copy - I did get the pdf and I'm definitely planning on using the d666 table at some point!

5/29/2019 5:51 pm  #36

Hi Eli, this is Dex in case you are not familiar with my board alias. Not sure if my first post on this board has been quarantined pending some approval or if it just got lost. Anyway, I've enjoyed the read (minus the spoilers) so far, and look forward to following and occasionally joining in.

cheers

5/29/2019 6:50 pm  #37

Welcome aboard, Dex. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

5/30/2019 11:32 am  #38

Chainsaw wrote:

Welcome aboard, Dex.

Thank you sir. Hope you make it out to GC again soon. Either that, or I need to make it out to NTX.

6/06/2019 12:29 am  #39

Tellion wrote:

Hi Eli, this is Dex in case you are not familiar with my board alias. Not sure if my first post on this board has been quarantined pending some approval or if it just got lost. Anyway, I've enjoyed the read (minus the spoilers) so far, and look forward to following and occasionally joining in.cheers

Good to see you on here!  Thanks for reading!  Glad you were able to make it to the game.  As you now know I'm a few recaps behind.

8/30/2019 2:15 pm  #40

Ha!  I’m really behind on these.  Here is the first of 4 recaps.  These will probably be a little shorter as the memory fades a little.  Also this is the beginning of a long series of “chumpgates” (thanks gizmo for that terminology) .   Again if any of my players are reading I've put some stuff that should stay behind the curtain in spoiler tags.  

Session 7:  Airborne Cephalopods
PCS
wind – Zambrosia, Keltic Cleric (Level 2)
EOTB – “Nameless”, Ledgerdemanist (Level 2)

NPCS
Lutho – a tiny red humanoid
Tiresia – a one armed Amazon
Octavia – a girl who was swallowed by a whale

After scouting and talking with the Lutho the party determined they were close the shore of the sea.  Just across a strait Lutho said there was an island settlemnt of humans.  They pondered their next steps.  Journey to the settlement?   Return to the point of their capture?  Von was especially despondent about his lost elk.  As they rested and planned, they were treated to the sight of a giant airborne squid descending from the skies.  They readied their weapons but when they saw their old companions Octavia and Vambrosia, as well as an unknown person (EOTB’s ledgerdemainist), gently cradled in the creatures translucent tentacles they stood down.  A joyful reunion was had and it was learned that Octavia had somehow summoned the creature from the skies after the rest of the party was captured.  Riding upon the creature they set out in pursuit of the others.  Along the way they had picked up the ledgerdemainist (another denizen of Shipwrights Cove).   In their flight they passed what seemed to be Dr. Agama’s outpost.   Venicius felt compelled to investigate and they dropped him off on a mountain top and continued in pursuit of the others. 

Octavia wanted to return to Venicius but the party then convinced  her to take them to the human outpost on the island offshore.  This would allow them to resupply and maybe get more information about the land of Torth.   The party then boarded the creature and enveloped in its tentacles flew across a narrow strait to a mountainous island.   Atop the islands highest point the party saw a small walled city.  On the slopes below the city there was a vast mine being worked by a collection of lizardmen and other creatures, many whom seemed to be combinations of reptile and human,  these miners were watched by human overseers with whips and crossbows.   A number of airships (barges?) were tethered to high towers along the city walls. The party decided to land their squid just outside the city walls.  Somehow they managed to keep the guards from shooting them before they landed.  Previous to landing they had disguised Lutho in a set of robes as he said that he would not be safe in the human settlement if they knew what he was.   The party introduced him as their Grandmother.

After making contact with the authorities Octavia took her leave and left with her squid to find Venicius.  The party was introduced to the city’s governess who welcomed them with great ceremony.  They were given fine accommodations and given freedom to travel the city.  The party learned that the name of the settlement was New Neshfal, and outpost of the much large city of Old Neshfal.   Looking to replace items left aboard the airship they found that the price of metal was very high.  They also learned a block of what the locals referred to as “lift metal” was very valuable – a standard ingot worth 500 gp.   The party outfitted themselves as well as they could – studded leather and wood weapons being the primary purchases and discussed their next move.   A check with the airship captains found that a trip to Old Neshfall would be 500gp a person.  As they pondered this the cities governor then called them into a private meeting.  She offered to give them free passage anywhere they liked if they did a small task. 

She told them of a lizard-man with the abilities of a wizard.  He was a strange creature with a bulbous domed head who lived in tower to the south.  She had learned that some humans were in league with the creature and asked the party to spy upon the tower and report as to who was visiting.  They were not to attack or do anything hostile or risky to their persons.  The party agreed and was told they would depart in the morning.

Upon the ship the party was treated with rude politeness by the officers and crew.  They learned that it was a military vessel (as were all the airships of Old Neshfal).  They were also given a tour of the hold of the vessel.  Within this cramped space the entire bottom of the ship was covered with a glimmering tracery of lift metal.  They were told this is what allowed the ships to float above the ground.  An aged sorcerer (one of several) seemed on hand at all times to tend to the installation.  During their flight south both Sparky and the Ledgerdemainist tried to learn the magic necessary to tend to the ship but each failed (a basic learn spell roll).   Each was told by their teacher it was for the best as tending to the ship lift metal was a not a healthy occupation.  One aged sorcerer gave his age as 25 which was especially sobering to the PCs. 

The ship let the party off on hill on the border between a great forest and a dusty plain just at dusk.  They could see the tower jutting above the plain off in the distance.  The ship then left promising to return in a couple days.  Waiting for the cover of darkness the party crept towards the tower.  When they were about a half-mile from their goal they discovered a well-trod track that seemed to circle the tower.   Walking along the track they encountered its creator -  an enormous three horned reptile with a shield like ruff around its neck.  The creature charged and Von and Ole set their spears and braced for impact while the rest of the party fanned out to engage the beast in other ways.  The first clash of the tilt was inconclusive, but the beast was bloodied and Von took a substantial hit.  The beast wheeled and charged the party again.  More damage to beast and Von ensued.  At this point the Ledgerdemainist invoked the magical Gallinago Mask, his starting magic item, and turned into a small but compelling shore bird.  He attempted to entice the creature to follow him into harms way but the single-minded beast resisted.  However, it was soon dispatched, and the party rested before heading to the tower.

Last edited by lige (8/30/2019 5:53 pm)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.