!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/27/2019 12:15 pm  #41

Re: Hyperborean Encounter Tables 2!

BA, I noticed something when my son and his friend made a warlock/legerdemainist.

They both have 2 spells at first level but at first level they should start with only 1 spell.

However, since I'm cribbing from HET2 and those are for NPCs it is conceivable that they could have taken the time to learn another 1st level spell.

I will be modifying my PC generating app to only have 1 spell at 1st level (and make up some lists specific to fire lord/thief, ice lord/thief, death soldier, and mountebank).

Just thought I would pick your brain about that.

What? Me worry?

5/27/2019 12:23 pm  #42

gizmomathboy wrote:

BA, I noticed something when my son and his friend made a warlock/legerdemainist.

Wait.....whaaaa?

Quad-classing is a thing?

5/27/2019 12:31 pm  #43

No quad classing. My son had a fire lord that died in the last session and his next character was a fire thief.

His friend has a warlock.

I just noticed that when i created their character sheets via my web app they all had the same 2 spells at 1st level: dash and jump.

So I showed them the relevant spell lists (pyromancer for the fire lord/thief and magician for the warlock).

What? Me worry?

5/27/2019 1:15 pm  #44

gizmomathboy wrote:

No quad classing. My son had a fire lord that died in the last session and his next character was a fire thief.

His friend has a warlock.

I just noticed that when i created their character sheets via my web app they all had the same 2 spells at 1st level: dash and jump.

So I showed them the relevant spell lists (pyromancer for the fire lord/thief and magician for the warlock).

Ah-ha!
But a FIRE LORD ICE THIEF was sounding very interesting to me all of a sudden....;)

5/28/2019 2:27 pm  #45

gizmomathboy wrote:

They both have 2 spells at first level but at first level they should start with only 1 spell.

However, since I'm cribbing from HET2 and those are for NPCs it is conceivable that they could have taken the time to learn another 1st level spell.

I will be modifying my PC generating app to only have 1 spell at 1st level (and make up some lists specific to fire lord/thief, ice lord/thief, death soldier, and mountebank).

Just thought I would pick your brain about that.

The reason they can cast two spells is because of the bonus from having a 13 intelligence. The reason they have two different spells is because I thought that was more interesting than giving them something like magic missile x2.
(As you probably surmised, I made them all "generic" warlocks, legerdemainists, and shamans to simplify the alignment situation. This stuff was complicated enough as it was.)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

5/28/2019 2:43 pm  #46

Ok, that makes sense. I totally missed/forgot that their INT was 13. Totally lost by focusing on the immediately text.

I'm contemplating creating a spell list for those subclasses (and probably all spell casters) that is mostly based on your work but maybe expand to full spell list.

We'll see. I'm currently just working on a tweaked list for the subclasses.

What? Me worry?

5/28/2019 4:07 pm  #47

FYI a similar situation exists with the shaman's spells at 1st and 2nd level.

Also, some classes have the opposite situation: e.g., a 1st level magician would actually have three spells in his book, but only two are listed because that's all he can cast. Additionally, I ignored bonus spells for having a familiar. I really was mainly trying to create a quick and dirty way to fill out NPC parties.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (5/28/2019 4:07 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

5/28/2019 6:08 pm  #48

Indeed. We are definitely limited by what is possible per the rules and what is possible per our time and effort.

Also, having to deal with the weirdness of rangers and bards with their spells come from differing schools of magic...

What? Me worry?

7/15/2019 1:08 pm  #49

this is amazing.  thank you!

7/15/2019 1:52 pm  #50

You're welcome!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

7/07/2021 10:29 am  #51

Now that one of my campaigns is exploring The Lemurian Remnant in earnest (tracking overland). I really need to add more terrain types to the web app.

BA, I might toss some ideas around per other beasts to include that might be more specific to Lemuria that I'm lifting from the Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess.

At the very least, adding in the terrain types there is "easy". Tailoring things more to Lemuria per the module will take a little more time.

What? Me worry?

7/07/2021 10:47 am  #52

gizmomathboy wrote:

Now that one of my campaigns is exploring The Lemurian Remnant in earnest (tracking overland). I really need to add more terrain types to the web app.

BA, I might toss some ideas around per other beasts to include that might be more specific to Lemuria that I'm lifting from the Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess.

At the very least, adding in the terrain types there is "easy". Tailoring things more to Lemuria per the module will take a little more time.

That sounds like a cool idea. I didn't include anything from the modules because I wanted the encounter tables to be 100% usable with just the rule book. (These tables are really meant to be a quick and dirty solution, especially if players wander into a new area unexpectedly - I would always encourage someone to make their own tables for any area that is intended for long term play.)

Last edited by Blackadder23 (7/07/2021 10:48 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

7/07/2021 11:30 am  #53

We'll find out soon enough how much of Lemuria is in 3e now that Lemurians are a playable race. :-)

For now I will just add terrain types for Lemuria since that I can do in a few minutes.

We'll have to bug Ghul to see what chunks of Lemuria got added to the Bestiary :-)

What? Me worry?

7/07/2021 11:46 am  #54

And more terrain added.

I think I will work up a (sub tropical) jungle terrain table. I think that should only exist in the Remnant.

What? Me worry?

7/07/2021 12:47 pm  #55

I probably will do an updated version of this for 3e, incorporating any new monsters, races, etc.

Assuming enough has changed to make it worth my time.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (7/07/2021 12:48 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/04/2023 12:25 am  #56

so there will not be a 3rd Version of Encounters i assume?

-Gladiator, What is best in life?
-The inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents,  terrifying vistas of reality,  the peace and safety of a new Dark Age.
-Yee... wait... what ... WHAT?

2/04/2023 10:37 am  #57

demetrisathanasopoulos wrote:

so there will not be a 3rd Version of Encounters i assume?

I actually have a big chunk of it done. I just haven't had time lately to finish it.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.