!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/22/2019 10:38 pm  #1

Solo/One-on-One Adventures

Does anyone know of any solo modules, classic or OSR, that could be converted to fit Hyperborea? As the only AD&D/Hyperborea DM among my community that I know of, it’s a lonely life not being able to play loud characters without adding too much bias and ruining the balance of the group. I’ve seen MV1, it seems pretty cool for a different setting, which I’ll probably run it under. One-on-one (one DM, one player) adventures would be fun too. I’d like running one of my players through a solo story, and maybe I can convince a player to run one for me.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

1/25/2019 6:36 am  #2

Re: Solo/One-on-One Adventures

Hmm, my suggestion is for 1 on 1, is get an adventure, then create a character that is 5-8 level better than the adventure.

So a 2nd level adventure, you take a 7th level character in, though a 5th level might do, and as Conanistic or Elric, has the adventurer have a friendly NPC friend with them. Of course some of Howards work had the damsel in distress, but not every time. Nestor  in Halls of the Dead, etc was a fighter; so have a lower level NPC with them, with the example above; the NPC could be 3rd to 5th level depends on how you agree with the suggestion.

I am myself a little short of players and in time have been attempting a solo type play, so creating charts etc, but it for Conan D20, so it would be of no great help at it refers to different creatures, etc and it just by no-way near finished. 

I got a lot to do, I working at Larsha, City of the Dead. I post in next few days in Maps forum below, got a lot of maps, so will add some Encounter charts so you might try a random/solo adventure.

1/25/2019 11:03 pm  #3

There was a fun 3.0 adventure series for thieves.  Set in an urban environment that would work well in Hyperborea's larger, gritty metropolises; I'm still inordinately fond of it:  https://rpggeek.com/rpgpublisher/15697/wyverns-claw-design

Coincidentally, TSR published O1 The Gem and The Staff, a solor adventure for a mid-level thief, too:  https://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/modpages/o.html

Expeditious Retreat Press also published a series of 1:1 modules for 3.x characters, but I haven't played or run any of them:  http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/josephbrowning?searchTerms=%221+on+1%22

Allan.

1/26/2019 10:36 am  #4

This guy with a pen name of Kabuki Kaiser did a couple Asian-themed supplements, Mad Monks of Kwantoom, and The Flower Liches, that include solo adventures in them.  With a bit of work you could port them (literally, as Kwantoom is a port city) into Hyperborea or the Hyborian Age, especially if you're wanting your character to go to Khitai.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

1/26/2019 4:31 pm  #5

Last night the wife asked me to run solo adventures in Hyperborea for her apart from the main campaign so she can try something new..  I agree with Caveman and believe that giving her a companion of some kind would help, nothing too fancy. Something akin to a 0 level NPC.   I'm interested in hearing tips and tricks from people who have tried this before. 

2/09/2019 7:10 am  #6

Brock Savage wrote:

Last night the wife asked me to run solo adventures in Hyperborea for her apart from the main campaign so she can try something new..  I agree with Caveman and believe that giving her a companion of some kind would help, nothing too fancy. Something akin to a 0 level NPC.   I'm interested in hearing tips and tricks from people who have tried this before. 

I guess it depends on the level of the scenarios, but low level stuff might allow for 0-level NPCs, they can be very helpful, I know. But a good healer might help as a second character, healing is a potent weapon in this game.

Perhaps a 0-level cleric?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.