!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/10/2018 6:58 pm  #1

Druids- Do they have to be vegan?

Alright. MAYBE that thread title was bait. But how do you imagine the druids interacting with animals like rabbits or aurochs, that they'd usually eat? Do you think it's kind of a, "No man, I get it. Natural order. You're a man. I'm a rabbit. Just don't eat me right now and I'll talk." deal?

On another note, I'm really wanting my Keltic huntsman to befriend a Treant, or a group of them. I've even been considering dual-classing him as a druid, just to gain the Mantle of Yoon'Deh (p.482) to do so. Thoughts on relationships with the woods and the elements as a huntsman? What kind of interactions with the treants have you guys had? So far I haven't noticed any encounters with them in any adventures I own.

Last edited by Revengeancer (12/10/2018 6:58 pm)

12/10/2018 8:04 pm  #2

Re: Druids- Do they have to be vegan?

Revengeancer wrote:

Alright. MAYBE that thread title was bait. But how do you imagine the druids interacting with animals like rabbits or aurochs, that they'd usually eat? Do you think it's kind of a, "No man, I get it. Natural order. You're a man. I'm a rabbit. Just don't eat me right now and I'll talk." deal?

Natural order. Man eats rabbit. Ghoul eats man. Necromancer controls ghoul. 

Revengeancer wrote:

On another note, I'm really wanting my Keltic huntsman to befriend a Treant, or a group of them. I've even been considering dual-classing him as a druid, just to gain the Mantle of Yoon'Deh (p.482) to do so. Thoughts on relationships with the woods and the elements as a huntsman? What kind of interactions with the treants have you guys had? So far I haven't noticed any encounters with them in any adventures I own.

Haven't used them yet myself, but if I were running your game, I would probably simply contrive an opportunity for your huntsman to impress a Treant before opening the dual-classing door. Unusual situations are the bread and butter of good campaigns, in my opinion, but YMMV.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

1/25/2019 9:12 am  #3

Some thoughts on druids: http://hyperborea.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=11916#p11916

To the point, I think that I think that it's beside the point. Or rather, it's a purely personal aesthetic question. Like all PCs, druids seek advancement. How that interacts with what they eat is kind of beside the point unless it yields XP or abilities somehow. So it comes down to how you want to play your druids. There's nothing intrinsic to the class that has anything to do with diet. And speak with animals opens up communications with individuals, not whole taxa. There's no reason a rabbit or aurochs in the wild would have anything to say about what people eat, I'd imagine.

Along those lines, I try to remember that spoken-to animals are both individuals and embodiments of radically different consciousnesses. Played for laughs, of course, but still. Why sell out an opportunity to turn the weird up to 11 by getting hung up on dining habits!

You do not even what to know how speak with plants tends to go in my game. The Sap Dream is real!

1/25/2019 10:55 pm  #4

Handy Haversack wrote:

You do not even what to know how speak with plants tends to go in my game. The Sap Dream is real!

Communing with The Green, eh?

Allan.

1/29/2019 8:46 am  #5

grodog wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

Communing with The Green, eh?

Allan.

With the funny voices to prove it!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.