!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/13/2018 2:46 pm  #1

Why worship Xathoqqua?

I’m a big fan of Xathoqqua. From the CAS figure especially, I’ve always loved him. I think he’s the most charming and entertaining out of all of the Old Ones. And the fact that he’s just kind of loafing around in some subterranean cavern in our plane makes it even better. So I’ve been planning on implementing more of the Xathoqquan orthodoxy as a force in Hyperborea.

But why is Xathoqqua so highly venerated? I know his worship is as old as the continent itself, and that even subhumans and animals wander to his altars. I remember reading something once about bears coming to his altar and just making noise. So there’s some sort of visceral draw to worshipping him. But what is gained from it? Do the human laypeople believe they derive a benefit to crops or fertility from him in some invisible way, just like any other god? Or is it some subconscious attempt at appeasing his loathsome self for self-preservation? Both?

In one CAS story, he’s an important master to a certain wizard who gets transported to Saturn to escape an inquisition, which is a former home of the big sloth-toad. I guess he talks to those he deems worthy. So many sorcerers like him. But why the common folk?

Furthermore, how do you handle the ruling Xathoqquan religion if you have one? I’d imagine they view worshippers of Yoon’Deh or others as “heathens” and such. I always assume places where another religion dominates, there’s still little idols of Xathoqqua sitting around in homes. He’s quite a goofy little old one in the right portrayal.

12/13/2018 4:29 pm  #2

Re: Why worship Xathoqqua?

Hyperboreans worshiped Xathoqqua for the power he bestowed.  They forced this worship on the populace and so for hundreds of years many of the original religions were pushed to the fringes and into secret places.  The Green Death destroyed much of the ruling establishment and the vacuum allowed a freer return to worship of other gods.  The Xathoqquan orthodoxy still has a iron grip and wields power though their well established priestly surrogates but they are openly contested!  That's how I view  the situation in my campaign.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

12/13/2018 4:44 pm  #3

Also, BTB and IMC, Xathoqqua communicates directly with his followers. Here is a god that responds to the prayers of his disciples with regularity. Does he always tell the truth? Does he misinform and trick? Does he seek to bind those who would beseech him with (practically) unbreakable pacts? Yes to all! 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

12/14/2018 12:13 am  #4

He takes care of his own---just ask Eibon!

Allan.

12/14/2018 4:01 pm  #5

Xathoqqua is the right god for the times. The universe  is cruel, uncaring, and capricious. Mortal lives are but a infinitesimal spark within the endless void of the Black Gulf. If there is any afterlife at all, the best one could hope for is a bleak existence in the mythic underworld of Underborea. In the face of these maddening truths, a serene and slothful nihilistic hedonism is a rational response.  

Last edited by Brock Savage (12/15/2018 1:55 am)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.