!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2017 2:01 am  #1

Cryomancer

It seems I've long missed the boat to pick up a copy of AFS #2, but I am hardly content to wait for AS&SH 2E to play a cryomancer after this blurb from the kickstarter:CRYOMANCER (Magician): The cryomancer is a sorcerer who manipulates snow, ice, and boreal winds. Through arcane studies and binding pacts made with glacial spirits, the cryomancer develops a spell book similar to that of a magician. Cryomancers may be guild members of an esoteric branch, or adherents of a secret society. Some sects of the latter seek to unlock the genius of a cabal of sorcerer-priests who, in immemorial times, dwelt in a floating citadel of ice that housed their dread god, “The Ashen Worm”. Cryomancers garb themselves in coloured robes revealing their personal ethos: Lawful Good cryomancers don pale blue robes trimmed with white and silver; Lawful Evil cryomancers wear pale grey robes trimmed with white and silver; and Neutral cryomancers vest themselves in white robes trimmed with pale blue and silver. When ranging the icy fields of Hyperborea, cryomancers favour axes, picks, and spears.

That is quite a bit to go on. I think I am going to attempt to foil the Pyromancer class and spell list to create a reasonable simulacrum. Any suggestions as far as replacing some the class features? Thanks!

Last edited by Master Magician Rennalds (1/14/2017 2:02 am)

"We alone of all mankind, who are sorcerers of high attainment and mastery, may endure the lethal ice-change and become breathers of the airless void, and thus, in the end, be made suitable for the provender of such as Rlim Shaikorth." sounds great unless you know what Provender means.

1/14/2017 7:55 am  #2

Re: Cryomancer

We had a write-up in AFS magazine, but I don't recall the issue at the moment. It was an early prototype of the subclass.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

1/14/2017 11:26 am  #3

Hi MMR, I don't really advertise it but I have held back a very small quantity of back issues for AFS specifically to take care of people here on this board or core fans. It looks like you are in the USA so if you want a copy of AFS 2 I can send you one for $10 includes shipping, or you can pick any 3 issues for $27.
*I may be completely out of the ability to produce issue #4 I would have to check on that one.

Thanks! and game on

if interested my paypal is srmoberly - at -yahoo dot com

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

1/14/2017 12:35 pm  #4

yeah, I think I will have a look and pick a couple this evening. thanks!

"We alone of all mankind, who are sorcerers of high attainment and mastery, may endure the lethal ice-change and become breathers of the airless void, and thus, in the end, be made suitable for the provender of such as Rlim Shaikorth." sounds great unless you know what Provender means.

1/14/2017 6:22 pm  #5

BTW -- Love the CAS avatar.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

1/14/2017 6:36 pm  #6

thanks!

1/24/2017 10:17 pm  #7

Tried out the Cryomancer Prototype from AFS #2 . Top notch work. plays great.

1/27/2017 6:13 pm  #8

Cool

Also glad the zines made it down to you in the lone star state..

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

1/28/2017 12:38 am  #9

great magazine. I may make an attempt to collect the rest in the near future.

9/23/2018 11:40 am  #10

Why not some Aeolusmancer or Geomancer as well?

9/23/2018 1:46 pm  #11

ALCAVDON wrote:

Have at it! Love to see what you come up with. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

9/23/2018 1:52 pm  #12

ALCAVDON wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is an Aeolusmancer?

9/24/2018 3:18 pm  #13

achiriaco wrote:

ALCAVDON wrote:

Presumably a winds-o-mancer, since Aeolus was Greek god of the winds.  Boreas was one of the Anemoi, or minor wind gods, and owed fealty to Aeolus:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anemoi

Allan.

9/24/2018 11:34 pm  #14

grodog wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

ALCAVDON wrote:

Presumably a winds-o-mancer, since Aeolus was Greek god of the winds.  Boreas was one of the Anemoi, or minor wind gods, and owed fealty to Aeolus:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anemoi

Allan.

Ahh. Interesting

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.