!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/22/2018 6:43 am  #21

Re: Eldritch Tales: Lovecraftian White Box Role-Playing

Me too Mabon, I already printed Jeff's most recent modules. Haha
Thanks for your interest!

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

8/22/2018 11:38 am  #22

Awesome! Will add it to the pile of thematic games I'm reviewing.

8/22/2018 12:44 pm  #23

That would be great Ynas! Thanks!

9/02/2018 12:16 pm  #24

For anyone on Google+, I wanted to let you all know that we've started an Eldritch Tales community there. Please sign up to receive speedy news and updates!

https://plus.google.com/communities/102708753717585764291

Last edited by joseph (9/02/2018 12:17 pm)

9/02/2018 3:23 pm  #25

joseph wrote:

Me too Mabon, I already printed Jeff's most recent modules. Haha
Thanks for your interest!

Ok so I couldn't resist.  I must say I am impressed with the translation of the Mythos to a White-box system.  The look of the product is very nice.  I like the very lite addition of Occupations and Skills with a very simple mechanism.

The background info on the 1920's is good with enough equipment to get a group started.  The Adversaries and Mythos background are the right amount of "thorough" to start a beginning group in a journey of madness!!

I didn't read everything as yet but so far this is a great product!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

9/02/2018 3:30 pm  #26

mabon5127 wrote:

Ok so I couldn't resist.  I must say I am impressed with the translation of the Mythos to a White-box system.  The look of the product is very nice.  I like the very lite addition of Occupations and Skills with a very simple mechanism.

The background info on the 1920's is good with enough equipment to get a group started.  The Adversaries and Mythos background are the right amount of "thorough" to start a beginning group in a journey of madness!!

I didn't read everything as yet but so far this is a great product!

Thanks for the kind words Mabon! I'm happy to hear you like what you've read so far!

9/03/2018 10:54 am  #27

It is a fantastic project! I'm enjoying it, too, Joseph! Your team and you did a wonderful job.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

9/03/2018 7:13 pm  #28

I have to say that, this project was a blast to work on with Joe. I was able to step outside of my Swords & Sorcery comfort zone and help him out (not only that but he treats his people well, that alone is worth it). The layout is absolutely fantastic, the game mechanics simple yet compelling, and the work he obviously put into it was a labor of love and it shows.

I have plans on running this and WWII: Operation White Box concurrently for my boys, as they love war history, and horror. Can you say Cthulhu Nazis.... It should be fun!

Congratulations, and thanks again Joe the book is very professionally done. 

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

9/03/2018 7:25 pm  #29

mavfire wrote:

I have to say that, this project was a blast to work on with Joe. I was able to step outside of my Swords & Sorcery comfort zone and help him out (not only that but he treats his people well, that alone is worth it). The layout is absolutely fantastic, the game mechanics simple yet compelling, and the work he obviously put into it was a labor of love and it shows.

I have plans on running this and WWII: Operation White Box concurrently for my boys, as they love war history, and horror. Can you say Cthulhu Nazis.... It should be fun!

Congratulations, and thanks again Joe the book is very professionally done. 

That combo is a great idea!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

9/03/2018 8:49 pm  #30

Jeff - thanks for your kind words bro!

Del - always a pleasure to work with with you man, you're a fellow that creates quality art and can come through with some unique, exciting work. And in a pinch at that; not everyone has that kind of work ethic. Thanks so much for your help on this! Your WWII mash-up sounds great!

9/14/2018 6:02 am  #31

Quick update.
Early supporters who purchase the PDF before Print release day will receive a discount for Hardcovers purchased through OBS! See my blog post for details...

https://ravengodgames.blogspot.com/2018/09/eldritch-tales-hardcover-discount.html?m=1

9/15/2018 9:56 am  #32

Joseph, can you provide a few details on the game? Since it's "White Box" I assume attribute bonuses range from +/-1? Class abilities are few, and the same for every member of a class? How are skills handled? The preview on RPGNow doesn't give any clues, but WB does imply some things. Thanks!

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

9/15/2018 10:19 am  #33

Hi Rhiato,
I can do that!
Attributes are +/-1 as you say, but also have an "Attribute Feat" associated with them. This is basically an attribute based test on a d6, which helps to determine success or failure on character actions, skills, spells.

There are four classes representing pulp archtypes - Antiquarian, Combatant, Opportunist, Socialite - each with a handful of abilities. And all members of a class have the same abilities. Each class grants some skills.

Skills are limited and do not represent everything a character can do; Class Skills give a bonus to Attribute Feats.

Optionally, referees may allow each character to roll or choose an Occupation, so that while the classes are not very customizable, Occupations can greatly expand character types - a Combatant (Sailor) would likely be quite different from a Combatant (Writer). [Occupations can be entirely ignored to speed character creation or maintain a more WB feel]

Spellcasting system is entirely revamped and includes classic spells and Lovecraftian spells. An insanity system tracks a characters fall into madness. Lots of Mythos monsters, tomes, and items.

Let me know if you have any specific questions!

9/15/2018 11:31 am  #34

Perfect, thanks for the quick overview!

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."

9/15/2018 11:39 am  #35

Sure thing!

9/16/2018 4:29 am  #36

Hi Joseph...

Just got the PDF of Eldritch Tales and am very happy with what I see.

I started with OD&D, as with many folk here on his site 42 years ago and I had also got the 1st edition CoC box set when it first was being sold, so this is a great combination...

Few things: Yes; think it good, low level, 6 max, think that will stop power characters and scary having few hp.

Yes: I will be using Occupations, think it adds structure to character and make it more interesting (before they are torn apart, hence no more structure).

Hmm, think there should be a spell list, looking through spells, love it, getting a shiver through my spine, this will do great. I actually been looking for something new over last week, I think this could be it!

I sure there more good stuff, enjoying the monster descriptions, etc. good stuff...

Cheer Joseph, will be looking for future adventures for this game!

Neil

9/16/2018 5:42 am  #37

Bought, skimmed through it yesterday: very well done, and I look forward to a deeper read. I did notice that the "Architect" in the professions section on p.57 uses "Engineer" in the descriptive text, though.

9/16/2018 6:30 am  #38

Thanks guys, happy to hear that you are enjoying the book!

Son of a gun! I'll make sure that "engineer" gets fixed, thanks!

9/17/2018 5:10 am  #39

I a bit sad Joseph, that I noticed the PDF is locked, I use my Laptop 99% of the time for any RPG now and I can save a lot of time copying stuff from PDFs to files for quick reference and gameplay. Is there any chance you could change this so I can copy stuff?

Spend most of yesterday reading Eldritch Tales and I am very happy with game. My first rolled Character: Doctor Miles Oscar Durham: Str 4, Dex 7, Con 10, Int 15, Wis 16, Cha 14,  (placed as rolled; by rules) and a lucky rolled 6 hp, reminds me of Harvey Walters from CoC, so it is amusing me!

Cheers

Neil

9/17/2018 11:40 am  #40

Caveman wrote:

I a bit sad Joseph, that I noticed the PDF is locked, I use my Laptop 99% of the time for any RPG now and I can save a lot of time copying stuff from PDFs to files for quick reference and gameplay. Is there any chance you could change this so I can copy stuff?

It's a little tedious, but you can always do screen shots, open the screen shots in a graphic program like Paint, and copy and paste the parts you want.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.