!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/09/2018 8:07 am  #161

Re: HYPERBOREA: Beasts and Cannibals

With my group, it doesn't seem to matter. Every time I start a module, we are usually off the page before the end of the first encounter.

8/09/2018 8:48 am  #162

Brock Savage wrote:

Reading an adventure, tweaking it to fit the needs of my game, and taking some notes are all absolutely essential prep work. Any DM worthy of the title does this prep work before a game.

This is the reason I rarely use pre-written material. Very little is usable on the run.  I am lazy in that I don't want to study material I use for my hobby.  That being said I have run Beneath the Comet whole cloth with little prep and plan to use the other adventures in the Hyperborean line. The economy of words matches the gazetteer and allows enough detail without inundating the GM under a mountain of text.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

8/09/2018 8:55 am  #163

To hell with you all! 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

8/09/2018 9:02 am  #164

Chainsaw wrote:

To hell with you all! 

Could you bullet point that? I don't want to miss it later.😂

While in my soul forever

8/09/2018 9:03 am  #165

mabon5127 wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

To hell with you all! 

* you
* hell

8/09/2018 9:16 am  #166

Chainsaw wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

To hell with you all! 

* you
* hell

Hahahaha! Nice.

While in my soul forever

8/09/2018 12:22 pm  #167

Chainsaw wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

To hell with you all!

* you
* hell

That. Is. Awesome.

8/09/2018 5:39 pm  #168

Chainsaw wrote:

I'll take the other side.

While I totally endorse formatting that facilitates functionality, as a rule, I would rather provide the formatting myself. For example, I'd rather use a highlighter myself to identify what *I* think is important or need help remembering from each key passage. The number of times I have run a module without reading it first and then making my own mark ups in the text/maps myself is exactly zero - and I can't imagine that number ever approaching one. Reading, digesting and interacting with the text via highlighter and pencil helps me learn the material. I know there's a school of thought where the presentation should be such that you can sit down and run a module "on the fly" with no prep, but that approach seems unrealistic to me and, in my opinion, ultimately ends up dumbing down the material. YMMV etc etc etc

To be clear, in Xambaala's case, the bullets don't prevent me from doing that or anything, so if they help someone else, great.

I'm going to agree with Chainsaw here.

I haven't read the adventures yet (still trying to hold out for the hard copies) but I'm sure the usage in Xambaala is perfectly cool. Nevertheless, speaking as an adventure writer, it isn't something I would want imposed on me as some kind of "standard". Ideally, I would like to see every writer come up with something new and different in terms of adventure design.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

8/10/2018 8:43 am  #169

Blackadder23 wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

I'll take the other side.

While I totally endorse formatting that facilitates functionality, as a rule, I would rather provide the formatting myself. For example, I'd rather use a highlighter myself to identify what *I* think is important or need help remembering from each key passage. The number of times I have run a module without reading it first and then making my own mark ups in the text/maps myself is exactly zero - and I can't imagine that number ever approaching one. Reading, digesting and interacting with the text via highlighter and pencil helps me learn the material. I know there's a school of thought where the presentation should be such that you can sit down and run a module "on the fly" with no prep, but that approach seems unrealistic to me and, in my opinion, ultimately ends up dumbing down the material. YMMV etc etc etc

To be clear, in Xambaala's case, the bullets don't prevent me from doing that or anything, so if they help someone else, great.

I'm going to agree with Chainsaw here.

I haven't read the adventures yet (still trying to hold out for the hard copies) but I'm sure the usage in Xambaala is perfectly cool. Nevertheless, speaking as an adventure writer, it isn't something I would want imposed on me as some kind of "standard". Ideally, I would like to see every writer come up with something new and different in terms of adventure design.

The concept was innovated by editor Michael Haskell. At first I questioned the utility of it, but once I saw it, I realized its utility: a nice way to present what is essentially an introductory module (1st level) to novice referees. Furthermore, there are busy referees with less time to study the ins and outs of an adventure module, so I can see that it can be a great way to quickly process chunks of information. I do not intend to make it a company "standard"; rather, in cases where I think it could be helpful, we might do it again, but it's not something that we would ask the writer to develop while adventure writing. Putting on my publisher / layout guy hat, my largest concern with it was how much page count it would eat. So, it was something of a cool, new experiment that may not be to everyone's tastes, but I liked it enough to give it a shot. It may or may not happen again. Cheers! 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

8/14/2018 1:43 pm  #170

Clearly I don't check my email often enough.

Just looking them over...annnnd its yet another triumph for the Northwind.

Great work gentlemen.  The authors deserve praise..

8/17/2018 8:41 pm  #171

Chainsaw wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

To hell with you all!

* you
* hell

I think you missed the verb, Donovan.  Maybe you need two or three colors of highlighters? ;) :D :D :D

Allan.

8/29/2018 6:19 am  #172

Given how many times these modules had been tested in both home games and at conventions, I'm curious how much these playtests have shaped the modules? Has difficulty been altered in either direction? Treasures increased/decreased? Extra information that repeatedly came up in actual gaming added in?

Last edited by Ynas Midgard (8/29/2018 6:19 am)

8/29/2018 7:08 am  #173

Ynas Midgard wrote:

Given how many times these modules had been tested in both home games and at conventions, I'm curious how much these playtests have shaped the modules? Has difficulty been altered in either direction? Treasures increased/decreased? Extra information that repeatedly came up in actual gaming added in?

Great questions.

While in my soul forever

8/29/2018 11:53 am  #174

Ynas Midgard wrote:

I can tell you that the only change made to Beneath the Comet after it was playtested a few times at cons was... one secret door was removed. I have no idea how this compares with the new modules.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

8/29/2018 2:23 pm  #175

Ynas Midgard wrote:

I’ve run my own The Lost Treasure of Atlantis more than a dozen times at conventions over the past two years and I changed quite a bit from my first draft (completed mid-2016) to my final draft (submitted mid-2018). Along the way, I changed the map, room contents, monsters, NPCs, physical features, traps and treasure. Pretty much everything was fair game.

Now, I didn’t change something just because a particular group had a hard or easy time with it, but rather because I thought it played out confusingly or awkwardly or that it was just plain boring. My guiding questions were always, “Can I make this easier/faster for the referee” and “Can I make this more fun/interesting for the players.” There are a few totally random examples below, but when the module comes out next spring or summer, I’ll be happy to chat about it all in way more detail to the extent that someone cares.

-A deep shaft that I originally envisioned PCs would rappel down received an access ladder embedded along the side.
-Three nondescript cave entrances each received some dungeon dressing to hint at what lies ahead.
-A room’s non-interactive feature was upgraded to be interactive.
-Added/highlighted opportunities to team with creatures.
-A complex trap was dramatically simplified.
-A cumbersome, rules-heavy atmospheric situation on a level was eliminated.
-An elaborate system of mutations was removed.
-Potions were given more interesting descriptions than "X color liquid".
-Reorganized paragraphs to prioritize information better.

8/29/2018 3:53 pm  #176

Cool peek behind the curtain, thanks gents!

8/31/2018 6:00 am  #177

Physical modules arrived! They look and feel great. Pumped about running them. Will post some pics tonight.

8/31/2018 7:37 am  #178

Rocked the T-shirt yesterday! Just a few more loooong days for the books to hit the west coast...

9/01/2018 12:45 pm  #179

Very nice!

9/02/2018 6:28 am  #180

Yes, these continue NWA's fine tradition of high-quality production, with a consistent vision of presentation, readability and art all combining for top-notch results. Kudos to the authors and Jeff's team for another splendid project completed.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.