!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/30/2018 9:10 am  #21

Re: Underborea?

All great thoughts, gentlemen. There are some hints of Underborea in the forthcoming Anthropophagi of Xambaala

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

6/30/2018 9:57 pm  #22

Ghul wrote:

All great thoughts, gentlemen. There are some hints of Underborea in the forthcoming Anthropophagi of Xambaala

Nice! Looking forward to that one!

7/09/2018 10:01 pm  #23

Recently found a couple notebooks with Underdark realms and scenarios that I had written back in the late 1980s when the original Dungeoneer's Survival Guide came out.  Inspired by this discussion, I completed the originally outlined areas, but I made one of them an outpost for the Great Race.  They are working with an undead naga and worms of Ymir (slaves) to kidnap denizens of the Underdark for their experiments.  Another realm has a fantasy Asian feel with bakemono, oni, goblin rats and such.  {Incidentally the main pseudo-Asian realm in my home campaign is the Mysterious Celestial Kingdom of Leng.  Its ancient capital of Sarkomand has portals to Hyperborea's Leng plateau.} Also,  I've added maps, portals and such to link the "regular" Underdark of my world to the Cyclopean Deeps, which eventually run into Underborea the way I have it set up. 

Not sure if the players will ever get that far, but I have grand designs for two character parties; one in Hyperborea and one in my regular campaign lands.  They both get drawn into a grand plot launched by a cabal of sorcerers and the two groups end up meeting in Underborea and having to work together to solve their common problem, which is to prevent the bad guys from assembling a collection of horrible volumes of arcane lore [The Dark Treasury aka Books of Keeping] that will bring ruin to the world by allowing them to open portals to other worlds and gain control of certain powerful entities.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

7/10/2018 6:04 am  #24

Spider of Leng wrote:

Recently found a couple notebooks with Underdark realms and scenarios that I had written back in the late 1980s when the original Dungeoneer's Survival Guide came out.  Inspired by this discussion, I completed the originally outlined areas, but I made one of them an outpost for the Great Race.  They are working with an undead naga and worms of Ymir (slaves) to kidnap denizens of the Underdark for their experiments.  Another realm has a fantasy Asian feel with bakemono, oni, goblin rats and such.  {Incidentally the main pseudo-Asian realm in my home campaign is the Mysterious Celestial Kingdom of Leng.  Its ancient capital of Sarkomand has portals to Hyperborea's Leng plateau.} Also,  I've added maps, portals and such to link the "regular" Underdark of my world to the Cyclopean Deeps, which eventually run into Underborea the way I have it set up. 

Not sure if the players will ever get that far, but I have grand designs for two character parties; one in Hyperborea and one in my regular campaign lands.  They both get drawn into a grand plot launched by a cabal of sorcerers and the two groups end up meeting in Underborea and having to work together to solve their common problem, which is to prevent the bad guys from assembling a collection of horrible volumes of arcane lore [The Dark Treasury aka Books of Keeping] that will bring ruin to the world by allowing them to open portals to other worlds and gain control of certain powerful entities.

Neat stuff!  

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

7/11/2018 9:30 pm  #25

Sounds quite interesting, Spider of Leng!  If you're interested in other underdark environs, you may want to check out the Dragonsfoot Mapping the Depths of the Earth (or Oerth, as the case may be) at https://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=18908&start=1050  Lots of drowic underworldly inspiration there.

Also of possible interest:  Jason Sholtis' Dungeon Dozen and recent Operation:Unfathomable; details on both @ http://roll1d12.blogspot.com/

Allan.

7/11/2018 9:49 pm  #26

grodog wrote:

Sounds quite interesting, Spider of Leng!  If you're interested in other underdark environs, you may want to check out the Dragonsfoot Mapping the Depths of the Earth (or Oerth, as the case may be) at https://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=18908&start=1050  Lots of drowic underworldly inspiration there.

Also of possible interest:  Jason Sholtis' Dungeon Dozen and recent Operation:Unfathomable; details on both @ http://roll1d12.blogspot.com/

Allan.

Funny you bring that up.  I've linked the D4 Oerth Underdark material (which, as you know, expands upon D1-3) to Night Below and Cyclopean Deeps, as well as my own Underdark stuff.  Back in the day I just ported all the Greyhawk stuff to my own world (Krysonia) and since then, as I find new stuff I like, I just shoehorn it in.  Much easier to do with the Underdark than the surface world! 

In fact, I'm waiting on an order of hex paper from Amazon to do my new Underdark map with all of this.  As a true grognard all my stuff is still done by hand.  And no one in town here sells hex paper, not even the university bookstore, which you would think would have it for chemistry classes.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

7/11/2018 10:08 pm  #27

Spider of Leng wrote:

In fact, I'm waiting on an order of hex paper from Amazon to do my new Underdark map with all of this.  As a true grognard all my stuff is still done by hand.  And no one in town here sells hex paper, not even the university bookstore, which you would think would have it for chemistry classes.

Hmmm.  I'd be curious to see the hex paper you ordered from Amazon:  we sell 11x17 dual-gridded hex pads as well as 8.5x11 campaign hex page (triple-gridded), but I'm always on the lookout for larger sized sheets!

Allan.

7/15/2018 10:38 pm  #28

Hex paper was so-so.  Too big (.25 inch; I should have ordered 1/8 inch), and doesn't tear cleanly from the pad.  Still made my map, but not crazy about the hex paper I got.

7/20/2018 9:27 pm  #29

For those of you who have not read it, there is some great material in the fan made D4 supplement "Encyclopedia Subterranica."  Really suitable for Underborea campaigns.  Since these are basically expanded encounter areas or mini dungeons, you can drop them in anywhere.  You can find it here: https://sites.google.com/site/deadgreyhawk/mappingthedepths

7/21/2018 6:19 am  #30

Awesome - nice find!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.