!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/24/2018 12:06 pm  #21

Re: AS&SH Referee's Screen (Official)

Been looking forwards to the screen for a while, so cool to hear this is being worked on. Here's my preference on the tables:

Reference every game or nearly every game
Table 44: Attack Rate / Rate of Fire
Table 46: Armour
Table 47: Shields
Table 48: Melee Weapons 
Table 49: Missile Weapons (especially ranges)
Table 87: Attack Roll Modifiers 
Table 88: Armour Class Modifiers
Table 98: Critical Hit Results

Use reasonably often
Table 45: Monetary Exchange
Table 77: Light Sources
Table 78: d6 Task Resolution
Table 79: Calculated Encumbrance 
Table 85: Reaction
Table 97: Two-Weapon Fighting 
Table 94: Turn Undead
Table 100: Item Saving Throws

I never need to reference these (can do from memory) and they take up lots of space
Table 86: Combat Matrix
Table 89: Basic Combat Sequence 
Table 90: Comprehensive Combat Sequence (Melee) 
Table 91: Comprehensive Combat Sequence (Missiles) 
Table 92: Comprehensive Combat Sequence (Magic) 
Table 99: Saving Throw

5/24/2018 12:08 pm  #22

Oh, and to repeat a request already mentioned: I reference thief skills by level very often. Would be really nice to have a handy table for that.

5/24/2018 12:33 pm  #23

Ghul wrote:

thedenofsin wrote:

I am indifferent as to the table contents on the inside. However, I'd strongly recommend a pocket on the outside to hold spare character sheets. I'd suggest it be a large capacity pocket. 

Oh, there's no doubt that there are a lot of rash and foolhardy players out there who almost always get their just deserts. ;)

Then it should probably be in the shape of a spaceship!!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

5/24/2018 12:44 pm  #24

My preferred GM Screen is a 4 panel landscape Layout.
In the top Center eyeline I would like Table 77: Light Sources, Table 62: Armored Sorcery,Table 78: Task Resolution and Table 85: Reactions
Also on the Center two panels I would like Table 87; Attack Roll Modifiers and Table 88: Armor Class Modifiers.  On one of the outside panels I want Table 89, 90, 91 and 92 for all of the combat sequences.   and Table 97: Two Weapon Fighting
on the other Outside panel I would like Tables 1-6 for Ability Score Quick Reference, Table 100: Item Saving Throws and Table 96: Advanced Combat Options.

On the Player facing side of the screen, I would want a reprint of Table 77, Table 43: Unskilled Weapon Attack Penalty, the Combat Sequence Tables (89-92) and Table 96

That is my *very rough* first draft of a wish list. 

Behold! The Wizard.
Beware his powers!
UNSPEAKABLE POWERS!

5/24/2018 7:23 pm  #25

On the three panel homemade screen I created for 1st edition (but never used, because I decided I didn't need it), I have the following tables:

Light Sources (Mundane)
Light Sources (Magical)
d6 Task Resolution
Overland Travel
Encumbrance
Reaction
Terrain Effects on Movement
Becoming Lost
Becoming Lost: Deviation
Combat Matrix
Combat Sequence
Flask (Grenade) Hurling
Combat Movement
Attack Modifiers
Turn Undead
Saving Throws
Item Saving Throws

I can't think of much I would add to that, given a fourth panel.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (5/24/2018 7:25 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

5/25/2018 10:06 am  #26

These are what I'd most likely use, along with the thief abilities:

Table 49: Missile Weapons 
Table 62: Armoured Sorcery 
Table 93: Flask (Grenade) Hurling 
Table 95: Combat Movement 

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

5/28/2018 9:00 pm  #27

My vote is for this list as well.

rhialto wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Table 43: Unskilled Weapon Attack Penalty 
Table 45: Monetary Exchange 
Table 49: Missile Weapons 
Table 62: Armoured Sorcery 
Table 87: Attack Roll Modifiers 
Table 88: Armour Class Modifiers 
Table 95: Combat Movement 

Just those listed above, assuming a four-panel screen with plenty of room.

6/17/2018 8:50 pm  #28

Ok...been thinking a while and critically about this during my last few games...After I made the first one, and actually updated one for 2E that I've been using, I have the following for consideration:

Tables 1-6 for ability scores - In about 40 games of thought...I use these way more than I anticipated.  I thought I had these memorized, but for some reason, still need to look up things for my NPC's all of the time.  I think they are essential.
Table 11 - use all the time for thief abilities. Essential.
Table 79 for encumbrance.  I use this on occasion, but maybe just need the top part regarding when someone is 'encumbered' and 'heavily encumbered' as just a reminder...the specifics could be looked up related to strength score as this is rarely calculated on the spot.  But this is easy to remember too, at -10MV/-1AC or -20MV/-2AC.
Table 99 for saving throws: also seemingly easy to remember, but I think I have to look at this every game for a very quick cross check as many players in my game are of varying levels. 
Table 77 for light sources - all the time referenced.
Talbe 94 for undead turning - all the time referenced.
Table 78: d6 task resolution - not needed as you can make this up on the spot if you are aware of the mechanic in general.
Table 45 - I have to double check that PP does not equal 10gp more often than I care to admit   I think this is good to keep overall.
Table 62 for armored sorcery spell failure.  Rarely used, but glad I have had this at times on the screen.
I put a little 'combat steps' chart of steps 1-5 on my screen, but found that it's not as useful after you get the combat down, but table 89 is good.  However, I use the reference sheet found on the main website for the players to see regarding phases and allowable combat actions much more than looking at it on the screen.  Not sure if this is needed beyond the basic table 89 items.
Table 95 I thought I would look at more, but really don't after you know how combat and movement works, including charging...probably not useful on the screen...
I also added a table for 'encounter distance' which I use a ton, for surprised indoor/outdoor etc.  I also should be able to remember that, but for some reason I blank on the spot (only d3/d6 ft or yards).
Table 44 - Attack rate/rate of fire table 44 is necessary.
Table 86 - combat matrix is necessary for me, as again, checking monster to players.  I can see how this is easy to know, but for many players, using a d20 system, nowadays in different games, I think this is necessary to quickly reference for those who might no be as familiar with this type of system.
I like Table 96 to see what fun things I can also have monsters/enemies do to the players, but not everyone might use the advance combat actions all of the time.  I would still recommend this to keep DM's quickly aware of some cool rules the system provides!
Tables 87/88/43 are also essential for on the fly reminders of the attack/weapon mods.
Table 97 for two-weapon fighting also essential, especially when I have NPC's do this
Table 93 for flask hurling, definitely keep on the screen.
Tables 48/49 for weapons, I kept off the gp value/cost but should have left it on, on my screens, as I constantly have  to look up the costs when the PC's want to buy them all of the time in town.  I would keep the full tables 48/49 somehow on the screen, but would have to narrow them up.
Also abbreviations for the weapon annotations is needed in my opinion.
Table 46/47 for armor, also needed, and keep the costs, unlike what I did...
Table 98, critical hits - yes please - always reference.
Table 71/75/76/85 for reaction/hireling loyalty/henchman morale/reaction - these are all sort of the same conceptually, and maybe a table could be condensed for 'reaction/loyalty/etc...I put them all on my screen, but really, I just roll 2d6 and if the result is high, 'good things' happen, and if it's low, 'bad things' happen, depending on the situation.  These all are probably not needed individually in my opinion.
Table 101 poison - needed (unfortunately or fortunately )
Table 80/81/822/83 - overland travel - needed.
Table 100 - items saves and definitions of classes - reference all the time, definitely needed!

I wish also that some of the weather generation items could be condensed, as I typically have been rolling these well in advance for each day for a 'month at a time' sort of pre-planning for fun.  Campaign time tracking is very important for our group/playstyle, and the weather tables are a great addition to 2E!  Maybe just the B-1, B-2, and B-3 tables on the screen would be good in some condensed fashion.

Maybe also a condensed list of the major gods and their symbols, as I seem to reference that section of the book too, more often than I thought I would.  Pages 553-561 in the 2E manual.

I feel like some of the older screens had the treasure class info on them, like table 129.  But not sure how you guys divvy up xp's but I always do them 'after the game' and hand them out at the beginning of the next game, so we can 'play longer at night' and then they have something to do as we kick the games off.  However, if you are one who has players who need xp's and treasure right away, I could see that this table could be nice on the screen.

Sorry this went a little long, but hope this helps as I would love to see an official one.  And a full bleed art piece on the entire front 'player side cover' please!!

-Z

6/19/2018 9:28 am  #29

Not sure why my immediate reply did not post a few days ago, but I wanted to thank you for the great response WWD. Your original screen was well received, so hearing your input for the official screen is very valuable to me. I have printed out many of the tables , cut them out, and have been doing some experimentation with arrangement. Meantime, the full-bleed, panoramic art piece that will be on on the players' side of the screen is in progress. As we get closer to fulfillment of the last Kickstarter, this project will go to the front of the line. Right now, we are looking at a Kickstarter campaign that will feature these three basic components:

- Players' Manual in softcover. It will be the finest, most durable softcover you can imagine. Not perfect binding, but smyth-sewn glue binding, with great paper stock and thick cover with gatefold flaps. 
- Referee's Screen. A four panel landscape screen measuring about 44 inches long by 8.5 inches wide.
- Player Character Folder. A 9 x 12-inch folder containing booklet-style character sheets.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

6/19/2018 9:48 am  #30

Ghul wrote:

Not sure why my immediate reply did not post a few days ago, but I wanted to thank you for the great response WWD. Your original screen was well received, so hearing your input for the official screen is very valuable to me. I have printed out many of the tables , cut them out, and have been doing some experimentation with arrangement. Meantime, the full-bleed, panoramic art piece that will be on on the players' side of the screen is in progress. As we get closer to fulfillment of the last Kickstarter, this project will go to the front of the line. Right now, we are looking at a Kickstarter campaign that will feature these three basic components:

- Players' Manual in softcover. It will be the finest, most durable softcover you can imagine. Not perfect binding, but smyth-sewn glue binding, with great paper stock and thick cover with gatefold flaps. 
- Referee's Screen. A four panel landscape screen measuring about 44 inches long by 8.5 inches wide.
- Player Character Folder. A 9 x 12-inch folder containing booklet-style character sheets.

I'm glad you are doing the landscape. I never get to sit down during a game because I can't see over the screen I use.... The four section screen will also fit around my work area a bit better (44" is good!)

The description of the players manual and the character folder are neat and increasing my anticipation of the next KS!!

While in my soul forever

6/19/2018 11:10 pm  #31

Ghul wrote:

Right now, we are looking at a Kickstarter campaign that will feature these three basic components:

Have you considered a stretch goal that would provide a printed booklet for the Reference Sheets PDF, Jeff?  If so, would that change the tables that you decide to include on the screen itself then?  (And yes, I noticed that your initial list matched the Ref Sheets 100%).

Take all of the following input with a grain of salt, since I've still not yet run a game of ASSH, but from among the tables that aren't listed, I would definitely consider including these:

- 29 - rune meanings
- combined reaction table:  85, 71
- combined loyalty/morale table:  75, 76,  (page 247 summary), 118
- 101 Poison (perhaps expand to include monster poisons too?)

...and dropping these:

- 1-6:  basic stats
- 45:  monetary exchange
- 154, 155 cyclical and daylight calendars
- 156 chronology

Ones I would consider adding into a printed Ref Sheets booklet (or as a 2nd reference booklet if you plan to print the 16 page one as-is) and not include in the screen include:

Stats info:
- 1-6:  basic stats

Class Info:
- 7-39 - class tables

Spells info:
- 63-70 - spells
- 124-127 - monster summoning tables

Equipment info:
- 45:  monetary exchange
- 50-59 (and perhaps group the services to include hiring NPCs too per tables 71-76)
- add a section for siege equipment with 110-111, 120

NPC Info
- 40 height/weight generation
- 42 secondary skills

Setting Info
- 41 languages
- 41.5 - a new table summarizing all of the gods (pages 106-110 and 551-561)
- new table to summarize pages 498-499 for what PCs may see in the night sky
- 153 turn this into a multi-page set of calendar sheets like some of the old fan-made ones for Greyhawk, where a DM could log the daylight, weather, holidays, moon phases, etc. on it as a DM log (perhaps that's a 2nd stretch goal or even another product?)
- 154, 155 cyclical and daylight calendars
- 156 chronology
- new table of adventure locations from published modules, perhaps including those from AFS, upcoming adventures, and notable adventure hooks/leads from the main rulebook
- a new table showing distances between major settlements (as the crow flies, or using travel routes and terrain if that's not too onerous to assemble)
- weather table by cyclical calendar season and terrain (again if it's not too onerous)

Movement info
- group 80-84, 106, 119 for movement info; wilderness movement could be listed by terrain types with derived movement rates for each (types to match the encounter tables)

Monsters Info
- 121, 122: xp tables
- 128 (and perhaps move the monsters summoning tables to here vs. placing beside the spells section?)

Allan.

Last edited by grodog (6/19/2018 11:13 pm)

6/20/2018 9:37 am  #32

All the combat fundamentals on one side, Maybe a "player's screen with all the campaign like information.

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

6/20/2018 10:05 am  #33

BlackKnight wrote:

All the combat fundamentals on one side, Maybe a "player's screen with all the campaign like information.

Holy crap! What a fun idea!  I had toyed with a menu holder with a few pages of pertinent info as well as a character sheet for players at con games.  Ran out of time.

While in my soul forever

6/20/2018 6:09 pm  #34

Ghul wrote:

Can't wait...so the "booklet-style character sheets" will be single sheets of paper, right? Because my attempts to print booklets from the PDF character sheets were painfully slow and error-prone, and I cannot abide multi-sheet character sheets. 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

6/21/2018 8:52 am  #35

Wonderful post, grodog. I appreciate the thought you put into it. I'm actually going to print your post and put it in my pile of papers related to this project. You've given me a lot to mull over, and I do appreciate it.

BlackKnight -- An interesting idea, but I've already commissioned the art that will be on the players' side. Still a good concept, though!

Rhialto -- Yes, so essentially, a 17 x 11-inch sheet of paper folded in half.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

6/21/2018 9:08 am  #36

Ghul wrote:

Wonderful post, grodog. I appreciate the thought you put into it. I'm actually going to print your post and put it in my pile of papers related to this project. You've given me a lot to mull over, and I do appreciate it.

You are quite welcome, Jeff.  If any of it's not clear, let me know and I'll try to clarify.

Allan.

6/22/2018 10:25 pm  #37

Ghul wrote:

Thanks! I'm very glad the first screen was well received!  Can't wait for another solid KS to back for all of these new official items too!!  Dying to see and think about the full cover art piece to go on the front of the screen too

6/23/2018 8:23 am  #38

Big fan of game screens, glad to see one is finally coming out for this.

6/24/2018 12:47 am  #39

I don't have much else to add apart from what was already stated, but I just wanted to admit the tables are great!  The only other bit I would add is this: maybe some ready reference sheets of names based on ethnic backgrounds for on the fly NPC's as a kind of add on bonus on top of the charts and such.  Either way I'm buying this when/if it's official!

Other bands play, Manowar kill!

6/24/2018 10:49 am  #40

MrManowar wrote:

The only other bit I would add is this: maybe some ready reference sheets of names based on ethnic backgrounds for on the fly NPC's as a kind of add on bonus on top of the charts and such.

That is already available here:

http://www.hyperborea.tv/uploads/4/4/6/6/44662451/assh_names.pdf

And an abbreviated (one page) version is at the very end of this:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/upzcor7vty783p6/Hyperborean_Encounter_Tables_II_Bookmarked.pdf/file

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.