!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/20/2018 6:10 pm  #1

Anyone use Judges Guild?

Just curious. If anyone has, please, let me know what was fun/what worked well...

Last edited by J.E.Snyder (5/20/2018 6:10 pm)

5/20/2018 6:44 pm  #2

Re: Anyone use Judges Guild?

I used Caverns of Thracia in my home campaign, and it was a lot of fun. I made some substitutions and revisions, but these were minor.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/20/2018 7:10 pm  #3

I ran Pirates of Hagrost pretty much as written - just swapped the inhabitants of Ashenshaft to Common men.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (5/20/2018 7:14 pm)

5/20/2018 9:53 pm  #4

IMO, there's a lot to work with in their stuff.  I've run Tegel Manor at Gary Con several years in a row as a 1e game and will may likely run again, as it's just plain fun. 

5/20/2018 10:08 pm  #5

In our AD&D campaign run by tacojohn, I've played in the following JG classics:

- Caverns of Thracia
- Thieves Fortress Badobaskor
- the start of Citadel of Fire (we never made it to the main dungeon before the high-level campaign was put on hold)

Of those, I don't know enough about CoF to know how well it would fit into Hyperborea, but I think the other two could both fit in well, with Caverns of Tracia being the better match to the feel/tone of the setting. 

Some of the adventures from The Book of Treasure Maps #1 would also fit nicely.

Allan.

5/21/2018 5:45 am  #6

Not Recently.  Tegel Manor is huge amounts of fun!!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

5/21/2018 9:51 pm  #7

mabon5127 wrote:

Tegel Manor is huge amounts of fun!!

PREACH IT!!

5/21/2018 10:03 pm  #8

Oh, I can't wait to use some of their stuff in my present campaign. I never chanced across JD back in the day, but wish I had. The Book of Ruins has some great stuff for sandboxes.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

5/21/2018 10:53 pm  #9

Tegel Manor is awesome. I am running a tribute adventure this weekend. I mined bits from City-State of the Invincible Overlord for my Khromarium.

Last edited by Brock Savage (5/21/2018 10:54 pm)

5/22/2018 7:11 am  #10

Ar'Pharazon wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

Tegel Manor is huge amounts of fun!!

PREACH IT!!

I try to be a good gaming missionary.

While in my soul forever

5/22/2018 7:13 am  #11

Brock Savage wrote:

Tegel Manor is awesome. I am running a tribute adventure this weekend. I mined bits from City-State of the Invincible Overlord for my Khromarium.

I loved City-State back in the day and still have my original copies.  I never used it whole cloth because my players did not like city games.  That was the place to go in between dungeons and wilderness adventures.

While in my soul forever

5/24/2018 5:54 pm  #12

I'm using Restromel as a starting point...and possible "home base" too...

5/25/2018 3:04 pm  #13

I've made a mini-campaign out of Thieves Fortress Badabaskor (it has all these great dungeon setpieces that I ended up tying together as we went - I started by running the module cold).  I also ran a pretty long campaign arc using Portals of Torsh as the basis with a lot of stuff I ended up adding/developing out of the somewhat terse setting information in the original book.  My players were so excited to get to go somewhere to fight dinosaurs and even happier to leave after some pretty harrowing encounters with the denizens of that world!

6/03/2018 4:29 pm  #14

I'm running Dark Tower using ASSH at GenCon this year. 

8/26/2018 8:47 pm  #15

I'm about to use The Illhiedran Book in my current Gal Hills campaign.  It's a bear for such a little thing, but I'll somehow manage, I think.

Intricate Entity: Formless faceless and free

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.