!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2014 2:20 pm  #1

Conan by Robert Howard for free on Project Gutenberg

Most, and maybe even all, of Robert Howards Conan stories can be found at Project Gutenberg.

I copied and pasted the whole page into a text file that I exported as a pdf to read on my Android and it's working really well. Alternatively, many browsers have the option of "print to file", which allows you to automatically create a pdf of it (though I didn't like the margins and font size Firefox created for me).

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?"

Spriggan's Den

4/08/2014 12:12 pm  #2

Re: Conan by Robert Howard for free on Project Gutenberg

Yora wrote:

Most, and maybe even all, of Robert Howards Conan stories can be found at Project Gutenberg.

I copied and pasted the whole page into a text file that I exported as a pdf to read on my Android and it's working really well. Alternatively, many browsers have the option of "print to file", which allows you to automatically create a pdf of it (though I didn't like the margins and font size Firefox created for me).

I hope someone makes them available for kindle. Of course which versions are going to be the question. I prefer my REH stories without the edits and crap from other writers like De Camp and Carter.

4/08/2014 12:17 pm  #3

JasonZavoda wrote:

Yora wrote:

I hope someone makes them available for kindle. Of course which versions are going to be the question. I prefer my REH stories without the edits and crap from other writers like De Camp and Carter.

Project Gutenberg should have DRM-free Kindle (.mobi or .prc) files for the books it hosts. If you go to

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?query=robert+howard

and click through on the titles, Kindle files are one of the DL options. How you then get the file onto your Kindle is another matter, though you could e-mail it to yourself if your Kindle has the Internet (Amazon wants you to get files only from Amazon!). Some have USB ports, I think, too.

4/08/2014 3:05 pm  #4

Yes, Gutenberg have pretty much every digital format.
A nice software to handle your ebook library is Calibre.

4/09/2014 10:03 am  #5

Handy Haversack wrote:

JasonZavoda wrote:

Yora wrote:

Project Gutenberg should have DRM-free Kindle (.mobi or .prc) files for the books it hosts. If you go to

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?query=robert+howard

and click through on the titles, Kindle files are one of the DL options. How you then get the file onto your Kindle is another matter, though you could e-mail it to yourself if your Kindle has the Internet (Amazon wants you to get files only from Amazon!). Some have USB ports, I think, too.

If you plug your kindle into a USB port you can move files from your computer onto your kindle.

4/10/2014 4:11 am  #6

JasonZavoda wrote:

I prefer my REH stories without the edits and crap from other writers like De Camp and Carter.

When I first discovered Conan in the 1970's, the DeCamp/Carter version was the only one I could find. A decent enough series at the time; good enough for several re-reads and I still have my 12-volume set on my bookshelf.

However, once the "real thing" from REH became avalilble I haven't gone back to those paperbacks. Any authentic REH fiction is 10x better than rewritten REH fiction. I sometimes think about either selling the DeCamp/Carter books or re-reading them to see how they stack up to the real thing, but so far haven't done either.

Marv / Finarvyn
DCC playtester (2011), S&W WhiteBox Author (2009), C&C playtester (2003), Metamorphosis Alpha since 1976. OD&D Player since 1975

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.