!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2018 9:00 pm  #21

Re: Flat, Concave, or Convex?

I'm working on a very small scale, localized map to carve out a little sandbox region of my own.  On the main map, it's the peninsula jutting out just across the mountains from Gal- of which there is little description in canon.  Before I started, I did make some some changes to the larger picture.  I am going with the "dome model," partially because it makes my mapping easier, and it fits some of my musings on the cosmology that may come into play much later on.  The line of latitude marked as zero on the main map- I've designated as 60 degrees and it's effectively the Arctic Circle- meaning that the sliver of lands and sea outside of it will never see the "midnight sun" or "noon moon" phenomenon experienced north of the line. Though the days / nights will be exceptionally long in Summer / Winter.   This is a small homage to Gygax's Oerth, with its 30 degree axial tilt and its Arctic Circle at 60 degrees.  Also a nod- I've adjusted the scale of the region to match the size of Oerth's Arctic.  It's roughly a 1.5x enlargement of Hyperboria, so the hexes on the map are closer to 36 miles.  This will add a little more "howling emptiness" to the setting, and maybe give me a bit more room to squeeze in additional weirdness, lands, and cultures without crowding the place too much.  I'll share my work with the maps once I get a bit farther along in the process.

Last edited by BinaryTortuga (3/03/2018 9:04 pm)

3/04/2018 5:04 pm  #22

Sounds great, BT! I look forward to reading more about it.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/15/2018 12:24 am  #23

BinaryTortuga wrote:

IThe line of latitude marked as zero on the main map- I've designated as 60 degrees and it's effectively the Arctic Circle- meaning that the sliver of lands and sea outside of it will never see the "midnight sun" or "noon moon" phenomenon experienced north of the line. Though the days / nights will be exceptionally long in Summer / Winter.   This is a small homage to Gygax's Oerth, with its 30 degree axial tilt and its Arctic Circle at 60 degrees.  

A nice touch!

BinaryTortuga wrote:

Also a nod- I've adjusted the scale of the region to match the size of Oerth's Arctic.  It's roughly a 1.5x enlargement of Hyperboria, so the hexes on the map are closer to 36 miles.  This will add a little more "howling emptiness" to the setting, and maybe give me a bit more room to squeeze in additional weirdness, lands, and cultures without crowding the place too much.  I'll share my work with the maps once I get a bit farther along in the process.

Sounds good, do please share when you're able!

Allan.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.