!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/22/2017 12:18 pm  #41

Re: What board games are you playing?

The Thunderbirds Cooperative Board Game is a hell of a lot of fun.  It captures the ambiance of the old puppet TV show very well.  It is also very challenging to play.  Good stuff!

8/03/2017 11:54 am  #42

I finally put the CONAN strategy board game through its paces last weekend. Very good! Once you get the main mechanic down, gameplay is pretty smooth. It's definitely a strategy game. I think the "Overlord" (basically, the DM: monsters and bad guys) is at a slight advantage in every scenario so the players really need to strategerize to counteract that. As it should be. Good tactical sense is a must.

Ms. Haversack and I also had a rousing game of Moby-d***; or, The Card Game last weekend. That's a good one.

8/03/2017 11:58 am  #43

Handy Haversack wrote:

Ms. Haversack and I also had a rousing game of Moby-d***; or, The Card Game last weekend. That's a good one.

You know, Melville never had to deal with this level of censorship.

8/18/2017 9:44 pm  #44

The Monolith Conan board game is the big hit right now. I should be receiving the Stygia expansion this week.
Also playing a lot of Federation Commander. (Streamlined Star Fleet Battles)

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

8/18/2017 10:12 pm  #45

Handy Haversack wrote:

I haven't played that yet, but picked up a copy from the publisher just after the KS fulfilled.  I'm glad to hear that it's good!  (Had I moved into acaedmia, I would have done my dissertation on Melville or HPL, and probably the former...). 

Allan.

12/27/2017 11:20 am  #46

So I finally built some of the minis and have played my first couple of sessions of Kingdom Death: Monster. Did anyone else take the plunge on this thing?

I'm terrible and arts and crafts, so the hobby part of the game, building and painting the minis, is kind of lost on me. I'd have happily paid $50 more to have had someone else build and paint these things. As it is, I will likely never paint them. It's just not a skill I have.

But MAN, the gameplay is great. We are just scratching the surface, and, thankfully, Ms. Haversack likes it, too. But it tests all sorts of problem-solving and forward-thinking and strategic and tactical intelligences. Really really elegant. I am psyched we have had time to play and am looking forward to more of it these next couple of weeks!

12/27/2017 11:35 am  #47

Just got Sword & Sorcery for Xmas. It's pretty fun, sort of like a Diablo board game, or a basic D&D where you don't need a DM.
The Monolith Conan board game is another current favorite. Fun to play, and loads of pieces that are also useful for your RPG's.

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

12/27/2017 4:33 pm  #48

I am eager to play the new game Illimat.   I backed it on Kickstarter because it is the idea and creation of the wonderful band The Decemberists.  The mechanics are very simple and I think it will provide a wonderful game experience.  Changing conditions, multiple paths to victory, sophisticated esthetics, cool cult vibe...

(Need to remember to perform my Society of Luminaries challenge...)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.