!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/07/2014 6:18 pm  #1

Scorpioids of the Xin Plateau

No. Enc.: 1d4 (10d4)
AL: CE
Size: L
Movement: 50
DEX: 16
AC: 4
HD: 5
No. atk. 3 (claw/claw/sting or weapon/weapon/sting)
Damage: 1d4/1d4/1d4 or weapon/weapon/1d4
Saving Throw: 14
Morale: 9
XP: Male: 300. Low-level femals: 350. High-level female: 475.
TC: Males: None. Females: N, Q, R, and S, T, or X as determined by class. Lair: F, I

The scorpioids of the Xin Plateau are giant scorpions with humanoid, almost human foreparts. This human torso is mostly covered in hard, black chitin, though obviously mammalian breasts are observable on scorpioid females. The mystic and alien scorpioid society is matriarchal. Male scorpioids are brutish fighters, possibly only semi-intelligent. They fight with claw and stinger or use two weapons without penalty. Typical weapons are scimitars, war picks, and javelins, all made from the scorpioid's molted chitin.

Female scorpioids wield whips, daggers, falcatas, hooked throwing knives, and bolas as appropriate for their class (see below).

Scorpioids are associated with Aurorus. How they serve this chaotic god is unknown, but haunted-looking travelers have told of witnessing their inhuman rites and revels on nights when the auroras light the sky above Xin. Scorpioids have been known to tolerate and even train human monks, though it is unknown what makes them do so.

Infant and immature scorpioids cling to their mothers' bodies, up to six at a time. Some proportion of scorpioid births are aurora scorpions (q.v.). It is possible that these are from the coupling of female scorpioids with actual giant scorpions during the nights of the aurora; it is possible they have stranger origins. It would be the unwise adventurer who inquired of the scorpioids what the truth might be.

Scorpioids have their own language of clicks, keens, and whistles; it is highly likely that many meaning-carrying parts of this language lie outside the realm of human senses. Scorpioid females are also likely to speak any of the Hellenic and Thracian dialects of Hyperborea and the Common speech. Their complex mouth parts and the resonant chambers within their chitin do not impart inflection to human words.

Scorpioids are native, or at least concentrated only in Xin, where they commune with Aurorus as strange lights shake the skies. They might be found elsewhere in Hyperborea in subterranean mazes or even in dim Khromarium, seeking after mysteries and other private, alien business. It is even possible they might make use of adventurers to further their plans.

The scorpioid stinger delivers a powerful venom akin to that of the giant scorpion: victims must save versus death or paralysis sets in in one round followed by death 2d4 rounds later. Femals scorpioids can intentionally lessen the concentration of this venom; in this case, a failed save results in deathlike catalepsy for 2d6 turns.
If a scorpioid hits with both claws, its stinger attack is made at +2 on the "to-hit" roll.
Scorpioids are immune to the fear effect and killing wail of banshees; scorpioid lairs are often found near the haunted zones of a banshee. .
As giant scorpions, when sorcerous ultraviolet vision is in effect, scorpioids take on a violet glow, and all attacks against them are then at +1 "to hit."
Almost all female scorpioids assume a class: (1d10) 1-4: illusionist, 5-8: witch, 9-10: monk. Roll 2d6+6 if needed for relevant ability scores, but note Dexterity above. Sorcerous scorpioids do not use spell books. Instead, their known spells are etched upon their chitin with acidic venom, and they "read" these incantations by passing their claws over the raised eldritch signs.
The whips and bolas of female scorpioids are made of the articulated stingers of males killed in various rituals. They are coated in a weak poison. Anyone struck by one of these weapons must make a saving throw versus death or be dazed and confused for 2d4 rounds, unable to do anything but defend (and making all further saving throws at -2 for the duration).

Last edited by Handy Haversack (4/09/2014 10:47 pm)

4/07/2014 6:59 pm  #2

Re: Scorpioids of the Xin Plateau

Nicely done, Handy. Love it.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/08/2014 7:51 am  #3

Thanks, Ghul!

I edited to note their location, languages, spell books, and relationship with banshees. I'll get to the aurora scorpions as soon as I have time.

2/05/2017 12:07 pm  #4

Posting a link to my blog where a short is told about these critters. 

Also, a jpg of them to complete the bestiary. 

http://mavfire.blogspot.com/2017/02/scorpiod-of-xin-as-short.html

A sampler from the pages of the AS&SH 2e book forthcoming. 

Last edited by mavfire (2/05/2017 12:08 pm)

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

2/06/2017 11:46 am  #5

Man, from such humble origins! Looks great, Del!

2/08/2017 3:15 pm  #6

Thanks Handy. Really cool creatures!

mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

2/08/2017 7:53 pm  #7

Very nice work, Del! Adding your blog to my list (that only makes five, hehe).

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

2/08/2017 8:47 pm  #8

Handy Haversack wrote:

Infant and immature scorpioids cling to their mothers' bodies, up to six at a time. Some proportion of scorpioid births are aurora scorpions (q.v.). It is possible that these are from the coupling of female scorpioids with actual giant scorpions during the nights of the aurora; it is possible they have stranger origins. It would be the unwise adventurer who inquired of the scorpioids what the truth might be.

Nice ;)

Handy Haversack wrote:

I'll get to the aurora scorpions as soon as I have time.

Definitely looking forward to the seeing the aurora scopions, too, Mike!

Allan.

2/10/2017 9:05 am  #9

grodog wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

I look forward to it, too! My players have an invitation from a scorpioid to go witness certain rites (the scorpioid was so scary that even my players were polite to her!), which, if they ever take that up, will, I'm sure, mean I actually have to put money where mouth was, aurora-scorpion-wise!

2/10/2017 10:02 am  #10

Chainsaw, thanks, glad you liked it. 

mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

2/10/2017 10:47 am  #11

Handy Haversack wrote:

grodog wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

I look forward to it, too! My players have an invitation from a scorpioid to go witness certain rites (the scorpioid was so scary that even my players were polite to her!), which, if they ever take that up, will, I'm sure, mean I actually have to put money where mouth was, aurora-scorpion-wise!

I'm sure such an invitation would haven't any relation to the need for ritual sacrifices as part of said rites, eh?

Allan.

2/14/2017 3:02 pm  #12

grodog wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

grodog wrote:

I'm sure such an invitation would haven't any relation to the need for ritual sacrifices as part of said rites, eh?

Allan.

Only one way to find out!

2/17/2017 12:00 am  #13

Handy Haversack wrote:

grodog wrote:

Only one way to find out!

Duly noted ;)

4/15/2017 1:53 pm  #14

Nice work, Michael!
Any reason these wouldn't also be in the Diamond Desert?
I'm prepping for Ghost Ship and would like to add them to the mix, if that's cool with you?
If not, I have this idea about a StingBot 1000 that happens to be the exact same write-up...

...before fatidic silver pools on a auspicious night stood a Hyperborean Xathoqquan priestess; stripping naked like a beast crawling in on all fours in supplication...

6/24/2017 6:20 pm  #15

Ran across these today, Michael, thought they might catch your eye for conversion potential:  http://eurekamin.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=806_807_808&products_id=11959

Allan.

6/26/2017 6:50 am  #16

That web site is onto some neat temporal web programming, grodog, being able to display now items what won't be added to their catalog until 2030!

6/26/2017 8:56 am  #17

ThornPlutonius wrote:

That web site is onto some neat temporal web programming, grodog, being able to display now items what won't be added to their catalog until 2030!

Indeed!---either Y2K or the Morphail Effect are in full force ;)

Allan.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.