!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2014 10:20 am  #101

Re: Introduction Thread

Great to see you here, Chris!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/31/2014 3:10 pm  #102

Hello! My name is Don and I started playing D&D when the Moldvay Basic set came out, followed by AD&D 1st edition through high-school and my college years. I've recently retired from active duty and am enjoying teaching my own kids and the kids in our neighborhood the wonders of tabletop roleplaying (they didn't know what they were missing, playing video games only). Anyway, I'm an ancient history buff as well as a huge CAS and HPL fan. ASSH, when I discovered it, has hit the sweet spot for me in terms of rules and setting. Fantastic work, Ghul - cannot wait to see more!!!

3/31/2014 3:44 pm  #103

Welcome aboard man!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

3/31/2014 7:51 pm  #104

My name is Rich.  Pretty much anywhere I'm registered, I'm francisca (though I think I have an old proboard account under francisca01).

Started in '81 with a mish-mash of moldvay/cook/marsh B/X and AD&D, though I'd been exposed to D&D since the late 70s (watching older relatives play).

I was a supporter of AS&SH during the kickstarter, and have played it a few time at Gary Con with Jeff as the DM.  This year, I finally ran my own AS&SH game at garycon after a few false starts.

I'd be quite happy to run AS&SH as my home system, provided I had an adult-attended regular game (I run 1e AD&D far too infrequently for my kids.)

4/01/2014 8:29 am  #105

Hello Don and hello Rich!

Rich, thank you so much for running AS&SH at Gary Con. It seems your players had a great time, and I enjoyed watching the session for the brief time I was there. Some innovative stuff!

4/01/2014 10:15 am  #106

Ghul wrote:

Rich, thank you so much for running AS&SH at Gary Con. It seems your players had a great time, and I enjoyed watching the session for the brief time I was there. Some innovative stuff!

You're welcome.  Hope I did the system and the setting justice!

4/01/2014 12:56 pm  #107

francisca wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Truth be told, I'm not terribly hung up about system; I'm more interested in Hyperborea, and how great referees like you take the setting in your own able hands and do something interesting with it, which is what you've done, so: Mission accomplished!

4/01/2014 5:33 pm  #108

Welcome all!!

--Ron--

"No interruptions! I am El Jefe!"
[url=www.unseenservant.us]Unseen Servant[/url] for all your PbP needs.

4/02/2014 6:55 am  #109

Marv (Finarvyn) here. I found my way over from OD&D Discussion, where I watched AS&SH develop from early on. I'm glad to see that this place is busy and active.

Marv / Finarvyn
DCC playtester (2011), S&W WhiteBox Author (2009), C&C playtester (2003), Metamorphosis Alpha since 1976. OD&D Player since 1975

4/02/2014 7:01 am  #110

Welcome, Marv! Great to see you here, and it was a pleaure to meet you at Gary Con!

4/02/2014 7:40 am  #111

Hey there Marv. Welcome aboard!

4/02/2014 10:31 am  #112

Hi, Fin!

4/02/2014 11:23 am  #113

Ghul wrote:

francisca wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Truth be told, I'm not terribly hung up about system; I'm more interested in Hyperborea, and how great referees like you take the setting in your own able hands and do something interesting with it, which is what you've done, so: Mission accomplished!

Don't ignore the work done on the AS&SH system bcause it can provide great direction for the setting. even if you don't use it the way it was written (I use 1e AD&D and what I have thought of and plundered over a long and glorious three plus decades of screwing around with D&D/AD&D for my rules, and whatever I feel like making up at the time). I especially like the character classes. 

4/02/2014 11:48 am  #114

Personally, I love the AS&SH system.  It is so well structured and clean.  Still feels like 1e AD&D to me but done in a very easy to understand and clear manner.  And it supports the Hyperborea setting so well.  Kudos, Jeff!

4/02/2014 12:16 pm  #115

Santaj wrote:

Personally, I love the AS&SH system.  It is so well structured and clean.  Still feels like 1e AD&D to me but done in a very easy to understand and clear manner.  And it supports the Hyperborea setting so well.  Kudos, Jeff!

Why, thank you, Santaj and Jason Z -- very kind of you, fellows. 

4/04/2014 9:00 pm  #116

Hello. I'm Eric. Got kicked around in my brother's campaign until Santa came through with my own Holmes box. I ended up with his Whitebox and MA and Boot Hill booklets though! Packed it all away in 1984. Just stumbled across Gygax Magazine and that ASSH ad and got it all back out.

4/04/2014 9:30 pm  #117

Awesome man, sounds like a good score! Anyway, glad you found us and welcome aboard. Let me know if you need anything.

4/05/2014 12:24 am  #118

Hi, I'm Nick. I'm a bit of an RPG wayfarer who cut my teeth on the Mentzer Basic set and then quickly graduated to the AD&D 1st ed. stuff about 25 years ago as a wide-eyed 12 year old. I've only managed to find a steady game off and on since I graduated high school and when I have found the time to game most of the modern stuff left me kind of cold. That is until I stumbled on the this thing called "The OSR" about a year ago.

Since then I've been inspired enough to try and rope some friends into gaming using my old AD&D 1st ed. books, which then morphed into a Labyrinth Lord game, then Swords and Wizardry (Complete), DCC RPG and then I finally stumbled on to AS&SH a few months back and I realized I'd finally found exactly what I was looking for - another one of those who has more interest in Howard, Conan, C.A. Smith, Lovecraft, Lieber vs. Tolkien's elves and dwarves.

In any case, glad to be here and thanks for such a great ruleset/setting Mr. Talanian.

Sláinte.

4/05/2014 12:01 pm  #119

Greetings, NAJones and Iron Ranger! It's a pleasure to have you here, and I look forward to some great exchanges on gaming, S&S fiction, and so forth.

4/05/2014 12:14 pm  #120

Hi, mi name is Anibal and I'm from Puerto Rico. I started playing RPG with D&D's Black Box. I been playing since 1991 non-stop but due to Real Life my gaming has been reduced to one session per month.

Right now my favorites versions of D&D (and some of my favorites games overall) are AS&SH and DCC.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.