!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2014 12:06 pm  #1

Golden Voyage of Sinbad

I just rewatched the Golden Voyage with Phillipe Law and Tom Baker. At first I was thinking that it was a bit cheesy, but the more I watched the more I enjoyed the movie. It is full of greay ideas for a Hyperborea campaign. I believe the others are too but I haven't watched them in awhile.

Harryhausen is of course one of the main reasons that this is such a fun picture, but I liked both Tom Baker and Phillipe Law's performances. 

3/03/2014 12:42 pm  #2

Re: Golden Voyage of Sinbad

JasonZavoda wrote:

I just rewatched the Golden Voyage with Phillipe Law and Tom Baker. At first I was thinking that it was a bit cheesy, but the more I watched the more I enjoyed the movie. It is full of greay ideas for a Hyperborea campaign. I believe the others are too but I haven't watched them in awhile.

Harryhausen is of course one of the main reasons that this is such a fun picture, but I liked both Tom Baker and Phillipe Law's performances. 

Yeah, I love it, too, but my personal favorite has always been Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger:

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/03/2014 12:45 pm  #3

As a kid in teh 1970's , the local theater used to have free saturday morning shows. They's play Sinbad, Jason and the Argonauts...all those old cool movies. I miss those days.

"It was an age of dark beliefs and of practises that were no less dark; and witchcraft and sorcery were rampant throughout the land, among all classes."
--Clark Ashton Smith, "The Necromantic Tale"

3/03/2014 12:48 pm  #4

Lord Kjeran wrote:

As a kid in teh 1970's , the local theater used to have free saturday morning shows. They's play Sinbad, Jason and the Argonauts...all those old cool movies. I miss those days.

Indeed. So much better than the CGI of today. 

3/03/2014 4:14 pm  #5

http://sinbadthemovie.com/index.php

The new Fifth Voyage of Sinbad!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/03/2014 4:20 pm  #6

Ghul wrote:

JasonZavoda wrote:

Yeah, I love it, too, but my personal favorite has always been Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger:

Two words: Jane Seymour!

While in my soul forever

3/03/2014 4:38 pm  #7

mabon5127 wrote:

http://sinbadthemovie.com/index.php

The new Fifth Voyage of Sinbad!

Looks promising...

mabon5127 wrote:

Indeed. 

3/05/2014 10:41 am  #8

Totally relate to the "cheese" first impression, but indeed, if you take a step back you then start to see through it and can watch the real movie(s), which turns out to be (WAY) better than the CGI stuff we are sold today (to me, YMMV, etc, bbq).

3/06/2014 9:17 pm  #9

I would like to thank my father for introducing me to these movies when I was a wee child and they were being shown on TV. I really need to get them on DVD to show my son.

3/07/2014 8:50 am  #10

mabon5127 wrote:

I know "Jane Seymour is gorgeous" isn't exactly breaking news, but she is hot as a pistol in that movie.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/02/2014 7:37 am  #11

I bought a Harryhausen DVD boxed set a while back. 50% off at B&N. It has "Jason and the Argonots" along with 4 or 5 of the Sinbad movies.

I've often thought that it would be fun to make a RPG campaign based on that version of the world. Create a monster book with screen caps of the monsters in those films, base magic on the spells used, and so on.

Marv / Finarvyn
DCC playtester (2011), S&W WhiteBox Author (2009), C&C playtester (2003), Metamorphosis Alpha since 1976. OD&D Player since 1975

4/02/2014 7:40 am  #12

finarvyn wrote:

I bought a Harryhausen DVD boxed set a while back. 50% off at B&N. It has "Jason and the Argonots" along with 4 or 5 of the Sinbad movies.

I've often thought that it would be fun to make a RPG campaign based on that version of the world. Create a monster book with screen caps of the monsters in those films, base magic on the spells used, and so on.

Well, we do have a "minotron" in AS&SH. ;)

4/02/2014 11:33 am  #13

finarvyn wrote:

It's funny you should say that, because I've been working on encounter tables for the various parts of Hyperborea, and I filled the Kitasion Archipelago with Harryhausen monsters (everything in the rules that fit, plus horned mountain apes, two-headed giant eagles, ghouls with insect faces, iron golems made of bronze, and so forth).

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/02/2014 6:55 pm  #14

Blackadder23 wrote:

finarvyn wrote:

It's funny you should say that, because I've been working on encounter tables for the various parts of Hyperborea, and I filled the Kitasion Archipelago with Harryhausen monsters (everything in the rules that fit, plus horned mountain apes, two-headed giant eagles, ghouls with insect faces, iron golems made of bronze, and so forth).

How close to finished are said encounter tables?  The game is begging for them!  I use the terrain listings (of creatures) but its not great.

While in my soul forever

4/02/2014 8:59 pm  #15

mabon5127 wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

finarvyn wrote:

How close to finished are said encounter tables?  The game is begging for them!  I use the terrain listings (of creatures) but its not great.

Definitely! Encounter tables (that I don't have to make because I'm a lazy, lazy man) would be fantastic.

4/02/2014 10:16 pm  #16

Work is murder right now , so it will probably be a few weeks.  But I'll definitely share them when they're done.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/03/2014 8:31 am  #17

Blackadder23 wrote:

Work is murder right now , so it will probably be a few weeks.  But I'll definitely share them when they're done.

Great!

While in my soul forever

4/05/2014 6:53 am  #18

Hopefully you'll include screen caps along with the monster info. It's nice when you can get the visual along with the numbers.

Marv / Finarvyn
DCC playtester (2011), S&W WhiteBox Author (2009), C&C playtester (2003), Metamorphosis Alpha since 1976. OD&D Player since 1975

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.